Riedel Glass [was: attachment test]

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of the stemless wine glasses? They seem lousy for wine, but I thought they would be nice for whiskey. Do you like them?

Jim,

That's a nice photo and a very appealing glass, as well. It looks like a combination of the Reidel and the Glencairn.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Jim,

I agree without even laying hands on the glass you have.

I always feel as though I'm on the verge of snapping the dainty, little stem of my Reidel glasses. When I'm drinking a manly drink, I want the feel of the glass to be compatible.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

They have those all over the place here in Lexington. I'm heading to "The Wine Shoppe" in Nicholasville after work, so I think I'll pick up a set and give them a try.

I always feel as though I'm on the verge of snapping the dainty, little stem of my Reidel glasses. When I'm drinking a manly drink, I want the feel of the glass to be compatible.

I think that glass is beautiful. I very recently read that you're supposed to hold the glass by the stem so that the warmth of the hand does not heat up the liquid. But I don't remember if the writer was talking about wine or whiskey or both. But with my recent habit of heating Wild Turkey 101 in the microwave for 8 seconds on cold nights, I can see the advantage of getting a little hand heat in these glasses. Plus I agree with Dave about the feel of the glass in your hand.

I've got a few of these and the bowls are still fragile. I haven't broken one yet. I have broken the regular Vinum series Riedels, but never at the stem, always the rim.

I've tried them with bourbon but the ones I have are too large. I need to go with something that will concentrate the nose better. Jim's are smaller than mine. I may have to buy some more. toast.gif

I very recently read that you're supposed to hold the glass by the stem so that the warmth of the hand does not heat up the liquid. But I don't remember if the writer was talking about wine or whiskey or both. But with my recent habit of heating Wild Turkey 101 in the microwave for 8 seconds on cold nights, I can see the advantage of getting a little hand heat in these glasses. Plus I agree with Dave about the feel of the glass in your hand.

I always refer to my Riedel Bourbon glasses as my whiskey snifters.

I was always under the impression that with a brandy snifter, you cup the bowl of the glass in the palm of your hand, allowing the stem to fit between your third and fourth fingers (ring and pinky fingers, if you prefer). That allows the warmth of your hand to warm the brandy.

I hold the Riedel Bourbon glasses the very same way, and absolutely love what the warming does to the nose and flavor of the whiskey. The narrow stem of the Riedel makes it fit between my fingers very nicely. I find myself cupping the glass in my hand for several minutes before I even begin to taste the contents.

The stemless Reidel glasses are being used at a few of the high-end restaurants in Baltimore. Reidel says they save on storage space.

The warmth of the palm of your hand would have an adverse effect on many wines. Reidel states the glass should be held above the wine level with your fingertips(with pinky raised).

I like rolypolys, so I will be buying a set.

Dave, we can have yours etched with football helmet logos just like your Shell collectible roly-polys. stickpoke.gif

Just went out to eBay and checked on these Riedel O series glasses. An outfit called beveragefactory.com has them in several sizes with buy-it-now pricing of 16.95 or 18.95 a pair. After checking the sizes on the Riedel site, I opted for the Pinot Mebbiolo size of 112mm tall and 690ccm capacity. According to Riedel, Jim's handsome glass is 108mm x 375ccm. Hoping the extra capacity will let the bourbon breathe a little bit more and the greater inward turn will trap the luscious aromas for nosing. And Dave G would love the roly-polyness for sure.

[snip] I hold the Riedel Bourbon glasses the very same way, and absolutely love what the warming does to the nose and flavor of the whiskey. The narrow stem of the Riedel makes it fit between my fingers very nicely. I find myself cupping the glass in my hand for several minutes before I even begin to taste the contents.

I do the same thing; I find it has the most beneficial effect on higher-proof bourbons.

... and the greater inward turn will trap the luscious aromas for nosing.

Dane,

I'll be interested to hear how that turns out.

A time or two I've tried glasses with that characteristic, only to find that the aromas were too concentrated. I had to back away rather than almost poke my nose inside the glass, as is my custom.

No surprise to anyone, I'm sure, bourbon simply packs more aromatic punch than other beverages that such glasses may have been designed to enhance.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I find it has the most beneficial effect on higher-proof bourbons.

I agree wholeheartedly!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I recieved my previously backordered set of glasses just before New Years and I think I got goldfish bowls by mistake. The size glass Jim pictures would probably be vastly superior to these behemoths for both nosing and tasting. I may use these as pitchers instead.

Two Riedel white wine stemless glasses were in my stocking. Tested them on some BT, my new number 1-5 favorite bourbons, and they work great. Can't wait to test some different bourbons in them. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.