Riedel Glass [was: attachment test]

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm interested in the "fortified wine" glass; may have to pick a few of those up.

I see they also have that same item (414/60) recommended for spirits (just left of the "fortified wine" picture and link).

Hmmm, I thought that was a thick glass base, but now I see it's a puddle of vodka or gin or somesuch.

Frankly, I could give a rat's ass how they label things; Riedel makes beautiful glassware.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw some of the Riedel Riesling "O" glasses at my local

liquor store and picked up 2 for 16 bucks. They seem to work

well for my bourbon stash. I keep it in my cellar and it needs to be warmed a little before enjoying.

Here are my three favorite (or, at least, most used -- I sometimes break out a larger snifter when I'm sipping while reading, for example) bourbon glasses, which includes the Riedel (right). It is unquestionably the best nosing glass. But the $1 a glass piece (left) is better for flavor, with the $1.99 Towle wine taster (tall, in center) adequate both ways while holding a larger pour.

Any of them does fine.

post-367-14489811793025_thumb.jpg

I just bit the bullet and ordered a set of 4 Riedel bourbon tasting glasses from Amazon.com (couldn't find them anywhere locally). They should be here in a week or so, since I was too cheap to spring for anything but the free shipping.

I'm assuming these are what folks have:

Amazon.com Riedel bourbon tasting glasses

I really like the Riedel bourbon glasses. I like the size. I'm on my second set of 4. I keep breaking them. frown.gif

I've gotten mine at Ebay.

I've been lucky. I have four, and broke one early on (bumped off of a table onto a hardwood floor), but the other three have survived for about nine months now!

I'm hooked on them! In fact, I'm taking one with me on a little trip we're taking next week.

• 1 month later...

The Riedel "O" tumblers can be found in a on-line catalogue called The Wine Enthusiast. I have been using the Chardonnay/Viognier every since receiving one in a goody bag from a Macallan tasting last fall. While this version is fairly large (3 7/8H, 11 1/4 oz.) it has become my favorite glass for both whisky and whiskey.

Well the reason for the post was that this place sells a set of two of these Riedel glasses for $13.95 and has free shipping.

Also for those of you who like the Glencairn glasses and may enjoy a singlemalt or two, you may find leftover holiday sets of Glenmorangie 10yr that come with a set of 4 Glencairn glasses. The best part was that the whole thing was $30. I think the glasses are worth at least $20 alone.

Dave

• 5 months later...

Well, I'm sold. I was lucky enough to be in the right place for Jim to offer me use of one of these Sauvignon Blanc/Riesling Riedel "O" glasses at the Festival, and enjoyed it all the time I was there. Tonight, I'm tasting the Joseph Finch side-by-side in it and a Riedel bourbon glass -- both are wonderful, but the nose from the O is rounder and more effusive, perhaps because you can stick your nose farther into the larger glass/opening.

I'll be buying some. Thanks, Jim.

Not cheap and I don't know who makes them but these are serious drinking glasses.

Very nice! I need more glassware like a hole in the head but those are really nice looking (and, for me, the perfect size). They look similar to the Maison du Whisky Pure Glass without the reverse lip.

Ken

After using the Chardonnay O glass since just before BF, yesterday I found the fortified wine glasses at a local wine shop. To me they are almost the bourbon glass without the stem. The lip of the O fits just inside my bourbon glass lip but the glass has a "less fragile" feel to it than the bourbon glass to me. The depth is pretty much identical but a pour of the same size in each would breathe better in the O glass IMHO due to the flat bottom. I paid 8.99 each for two of them and am convinced that these are as fine a tasting vessel as I have found and would recommend these over the bourbon glass hands down.

• 2 weeks later...

So did you pick some up? We've broken two Gleancairns here in the last 2 or 3 days, and I like the Reidel's you mention. Where do you get them where you live? (Since I live fairly close by, so to speak.)

So did you pick some up? We've broken two Gleancairns here in the last 2 or 3 days, and I like the Reidel's you mention. Where do you get them where you live? (Since I live fairly close by, so to speak.)

My wife gave me two pair of these Riedel "O" Spirits glasses last month for my birthday. She got them from The Wine Enthusiast for $14.95 per pair, with free shipping.

I really like the size and feel of this glass, but I must warn you that it is rather more delicate than the Glencairn glass. I like this aspect of it (I find the Glencairn glass rather clunky and ugly), but if you broke the Glencairn, the Reidel may be even more problematic.

Jeff

If you are referring to the fortified wine glass Bob, no I did not. Something I learned recently though; Bed bath and beyond carries a large selection of Reidel glassware.

I checked out BB&B and sure enough they had the O glasses. They didn't have the fortified wine size, but the Chardonney is a fine drinking vessel.

The BB&B closest to me (a full-sized one) had the array of O wine glasses (no port/fortified wine), so I bought 2 Sauvignon Blanc/Rieslings (2/$19.99) like the one Jim gave me last month. Using one right now. Like 'em.

• 2 months later...

Last weekend, I purchased a pair of the spirits/fortified wines/cask aged brandies "O" glasses at the area BB&B. I like 'em -- think of a cross between the Riedel bourbon glasses and the "O" Riesling/Sauvignon Blanc ones. They are sort of the size of the former (without the stem), and the shape of the latter.

Alas, they are the same price as the half-again larger ones -- $19.99/pair.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.