Jefferson's Reserve

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve while in KY this Spring. It says "Bottled by Mclain and Kyne Distillery, Bardstown" ... The bottle was about $50, but I have not heard of this distillery, or ever seen the bourbon again in any store or in print. Anyone know anything about this?

Regards,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com Staff

Jim,

Jeferson's Reserve is bottled by Evan Kulsvein, who bottles the Rowan's Creek brand and several others in Bardstown. I'm not sure where he is buying the whiskey for this brand. I know he has access to Heaven Hill whiskey. The Brand is owned by Trey and Chet Zoeller here in Louisville. They just introduced another brand called Sam Houston. it's 10-year. Evan just bottles it for them. They will be at Whiskey Fest next Wed. Their webb site is: www.mclainandkyne.com

I thought it might be Evan. The last time I spoke to him--probably 5 or 6 years ago--he was operating out of the old Willett Distillery, up the hill from Heaven Hill, and was still bottling some Willett whiskey, which he exclusively sold overseas. He is married to one of the Willett daughters. I would guess the Willett whiskey is long gone by now and Heaven Hill would seem the most likely source for anything he might now be selling. At the time his plan--"dream" might be a better word--was to recreate a working 19th century-style distillery on the site as a tourist attraction.

- chuck

Yeah, every day, Evan says he's almost ready to fire up that still. He does most of the work himself. He is pretty close to going ahead, but just can't seem to finish it up.

Julian

One thing I love about Kentucky is that you can be away for 5 or 6 years and it doesn't matter. When you get back, everything is still about the same as it was when you left.

- chuck

• 1 month later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Just received a bottle of Jefferson Reserve for Christmas. Had never heard of it before. Good to find information here. The message thread says that this is whiskey from Heaven & Hill. Does Evan do something different to it? I have just joined this forum, so I am not familiar with some of the names of KY distillers.

Don Walker

Adcentives

Hi Don,

To update my original posting, JR has now appeared at Beverages and More, which is a liquor "superstore" chain here in the SF bay area.

Although I like this bourbon over ice, there is an overwhelming note of anise? licorice? to it that I find disturbing if I drink it neat. What the hell, that problem is easily solved!

Regards,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com Staff

• 1 year later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I tried Sam Houston and found it too woody and bitter. I had previously enjoyed two bottles of Jefferson Reserve and found it smooth and full of flavor, not withstanding its $50.00 per bottle cost.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hey there Timmons and welcome to the Grand Cyber-Dutchy of Bourbonia. I was also disappointed with Sam Houston. I'm fairly certain that this is a wheated bourbon. Yo Veach! Would you do us the pleasure of a tasting for Sam Houston the next time you're in D'Maries?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.