Rock Hill Farms 80 proof

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found another bottle of RHF 80 this weekend in a little liquor store in Livermore CA.

The label inside indicates that it was bottled in March 1992(I'm too tired to go get the bottle for the exact date), and the box that the bottle comes in has a metallic red hue to it.

I found some of this stuff about four years ago, and have been unsuccessful in finding it since, and this includes a week long liquor store rampage in Kentucky.

Overall, a beautiful bourbon. I suppose the exact effect could be achieved by simply cutting a bottle of RHF with spring water, but the bottling itself is curious, and I am attracted to it for reasons unknown.

I've asked before, but has anyone else ever seen this bottling?

Regards,

Jim Butler

StraightBourbon.com

What proof is the regular RHF? It is possible that the 80 proof was a special bottling for a particular distributor. It's also possible that RHF was originally 80 proof. I know the brand wasn't introduced much before 1992. Also, those were the last days of Age International, before Sazerac took over, so it's hard to know what was going on.

--Chuck Cowdery

The current RHF is 50% abv. Regan's "Bourbon Companion" alludes to RHF not being as good as it once was, so perhaps I've got an artifact on my hands here.

It's curious that I found this bottle in the same hole-in-the-wall store that my brother found the first bottle in several years ago. We've kept an eye on the place, and this is the first reappearance of the stuff we've seen. I suppose it's possible that the distibutor they deal with has some old stock, and it's just trickling into the market.

This bottling is one of the smoother bourbons I've consumed, and while I suppose that's in some respect due to it's alcohol content, it's still absolutely wonderful ... I'll seek more!

Regards,

Jim Butler

StraightBourbon.com

It's possible the distributor had old stock, but more likely that the retailer had it in the back room. You might want to ask them if they have any more, rather than just waiting for it to appear.

--Chuck Cowdery

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.