Virginia Gentleman 90 - Copper Still

bourbonmed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There's a new and elusive fox down here. It's Virginia Gentleman, the 90 proof version. It has an attractive green label depicting a hunting scene with dogs (straight out of Linn's vivid hunting anecdotes) and features a little fox head above the label. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this bourbon -- it's a small batch, no age statement but it's at least 6 years old.

What got my attention is that VG is first distilled somewhere in Kentucky then re-distilled in Fredericksburg, VA by A. Smith Bowman Distillery using a copper still. This would seem an expensive proposition, yet the cost is under $20 a bottle.

Has anyone tasted this 90 proof version?

Omar

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yes indeed sir! This particular bottling - Virginia Gentleman 90 Proof - is the only one worth buying. This is a happy little bourbon worthy of your attention.

I haven't written about it because it isn't totally Virginian, and because the 80 proof version is really bad. Back when I was a boy Virginia Gentleman was a very good bourbon. A bourbon you could be proud of. Sadly this is no longer the case.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

• 1 month later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Omar your posting has driven me to ploish off a bottle of the the very foxy Virginia Gentileman. It's lighter than it used to be. That whackey little still is a kind of reflux still - all copper - no doubler that I know of. Very unique. Not really worth a saw bill, but it's still a good time. Kind of like the happy hooker - the fox head Virginia Gentleman is something you can live whithout, but do you really want to? Buy a bottle. If you don;t have fun blame it on Heaven Hill.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Omar,

Like Linn says, this is the good one. Not a great one, mind you, but real pleasant. The distilling method IS kinda strange; maybe Mike or Boone can tell us if Heaven Hill has any other customers that purchase only the low-wine distillate and then run it through their own doubler (which is what Bowman's copper pot still really is). I suppose that in company president John B. Adam's mind that helps to keep it at least partially a Virginia product. It used to be all-Virginia, but they just couldn't keep it afloat distilling from scratch. That was when it was as good as Linn remembers. I've never tasted any of that -- maybe Linn will go on a hunt and bring us back some for the bourbon festival. I think the original all-Virginia version was around as late as the early eighties; I've found bourbon that old on the shelves of obscure little liquor stores. Oh, and yes, John B. Adams *is* a descendent of U.S. Presidents John and John Quincy Adams.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Linn / John,

Got the VG 90 and like it. Juicy little fox. Sip it with Jimmy Smith's 'Dot Com Blues' CD in background. Check out the organ in 'Only in it for the money' and '3 o'clock blues.' $12 at Amazon. This guy can play the organ.

Omar

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.