Two Historic Distilleries Are Threatened

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The equipment you refer to appear to be grain hoppers. After the grain has been milled, it is weighed in these hoppers prior to being dumped into the cookers. If a recipe consists of 74% corn, that may equate to 3,250#. Next the rye is weighed out and cooked.

Ken

Amy,

I am working with Dan Pezzoni on some historical background of the George T. Stagg Distillery (now the Buffalo Trace Distillery) and he told me about the work you have done for your thesis. Both he and I are impressed with your passion for your work. If you are ever in Frankfort, stop by for a tour. I will be happy to show you around.

Ken

Ken,

See my tangential (i.e., hijacking) response under "Weights and Measures" in the General Bourbon forum.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

You can easily drive by these places. And certainly if you need help the folks at L&G/Wrodford R or at BT would likely sketch out the way for you. They are not difficult to find if you know the area.

In Japan we have Sake and Shouchu, it is our countries historical drink,like the

French has there Wine and Cognac, we too had our rough times and alot of

historical(or not) Kura (which is a like a distillery) has vanished during these

times. Bourbon is known and loved all around the world, it is America's

drink and I mean really only in America, I as a non american can do so little

or nothing at all, but I save money to go to this place every year where long

ago Dr.Crow might have been at the same place where I stand, and thought

about whiskey. These places must be important to the history of your

countries main drink if it can be saved in any way I would want to help.

I just love the air and surrounding around Glenns Creek, there is no where

like it. Full of history.

Koji

Too much Barton and HH and a little Shouchu tonight. drink.gif

I noticed several people have asked to see what these places look like. I took some pictures today (the weather was perfect) and I thought I would share.. Hope these help..

Historic Distilleris

The first few photos are of Woodford Reserve... About 5 miles down the road are the 2 properties in question.. The bulk of the photos are of Old Taylor since it is in the worst shape. Beam currently uses part of the Old Crow place for storage.

post-979-144898118439_thumb.jpg

I'm with Chuck, very nicely done.

Thank you for taking the time to do that... toast.gif

One of MDV's pictures was from almost the exact same angle as a favorite of my own, taken in 1991 or 92, and I was shocked by how much the buildings had deteriorated in that time, a short time considering that they are over 100 years old. Here is the earlier shot.

post-5-14489811848824_thumb.jpg

No problem... My pleasure... I'm a newbie on these boards ("long time drinker, first time poster"), and I wanted to contribute a little... I am hopeful that we can raise the awareness of the plight of these structures and something can be done....

Please, anyone who wants to copy or use any of these images in anyway, please feel free to do so... The more they are spread around, the better, I think.

those pictures are really nice. taking a look at them in person this fall will make a nice side trip

• 1 month later...

The National Trust for Historic Preservation just contacted me. They are going to do a piece on Old Taylor and Old Crow for their online magazine and perhaps their print magazine as well. I'll let you all know as I know more myself.

• 4 weeks later...

And for the record... I never told the reporter that the Old Crow warehouse pictured in the article was built in 1879 (more like 1910) ... and there are a few other inaccuracies.

Hate to inform you all of this, but all the shutters have been removed from the warehouse in that picture and the other 3 beside it. Not sure if this is indications of pending activity or not.

Thanks for the update. When I talked to folks at Jim Beam Brands they said to expect the buildings to be down by the end of the year.

ETA: You are talking about the Old Crow Warehouse(s) pictured in the online magazine article--correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to tell you I was interviewed for a short radio segment on the distilleries. The program will air on August 5th, on public radio WJFF, at 10AM. You can listen live via streaming audio at www.wjffradio.org.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Small update - I happened to drive by Old Taylor on Saturday and noticed a small tied up helium balloon at the main gate of the Stone Castle Building along with a hand written sign on poster board advertising a "SALE". I immediately slammed on my brakes and whipped the car into reverse. The gates were open and I drove cautiously onto the historic grounds of the once proud facility. On the south side of the property, near the old spring house, was an open building and more hand written signs about the sale. I was very intrigued, to say the least. No other cars or people were around. I got out of the car and went into the building. In the far corner, surrounded by a dozen tables of "stuff", sat a Mrs. Dorothy Withrow. She is the widow of the last owner (or just operator/custodian?) of the Old Taylor Facility. As you know, the property is under contract (set to close by September 1) with an investment group/company from Tennessee. This group bought the buildings down the road at Old Crow and they also have the option to buy the Old Crow land itself.

Anyway, Mrs. Withrow was there selling off items from her late husband's collection. Most of it was general nick-nack type mercahndise from a variety of other distilleries (glasses, airplane bottles, decanturs, pub mirrors, etc). There were a couple of intersting items, but I think most of the really really good stuff was not being sold (or had been sold already).

I bought a few small items and we talked for a few moments. She brought me up to date on the sale and fate of the Old Taylor property. She and her husband ran an "Antique Mall" in the 1990s in the old bottling house. Her husband passed away around 2000, just as they were beginning to bottle bought bourbon under the name "Stonecastle Bourbon". Only a tiny amount was made, as I understand it, and it all went oversees (Japan?). She said that the group buying Old Taylor will be tearing down a few of the buildings that are already in disprepair. But, she says, she was told that they want to renovate the actual Stonecastle "Castle" for a restaurnt and B&B. She also talked as if the group wanted to restore some of Colnel Taylor's famous gardens and springhouse (which was increadible, even it its current dilapidated state).

So, long story short, it appears as if there may be some hope of saving at least the Stonecastle Building. Maybe some of the other buildings will survive. It would be a heck of a place for a museum. With any luck, by the Bourbon Festival in 2006, there will be a new side trip available for the Festival goers. Who knows?

Just thought I would send out that update. Mrs. Withrow talked as if she might have even more items from her husband's collection and might rent a trailer to come down to the Festival next month. If anyone would like to speak with her about some of the items she may have for sale, let me knoo and I'll give you her number. She asked me to spread the word if I could. Again, alot of the stuff is your average glassware, decanturs, etc stuff, but someone may find a jewel here or there.

Keep your fingers crossed that the Castle will survive...

• 2 weeks later...

After my event at Woodford Reserve yesterday, I drove toward Frankfort rather than Versailles (forgetting about the recommendation I had received that great tacos were to be had at the Victoria Restaurante) on Glenn's Creek Road. Not much has changed at Taylor and Crow since the last time I was there, last fall. However, there did appear to be a fair amount of activity at Crow. There were about ten cars parked there and several Jim Beam trailers. I saw a few people moving around, but no heavy equipment (i.e., demolition equipment), so I'm guessing they are getting the last of their whiskey out. Pretty day, pretty drive, sad scene.

• 3 weeks later...

Old Taylor sold for 1.15 mill. So expect some things to start happening there in the near future.

Where did you get that? Public record of some kind? Was anything else disclosed, such as the buyer?

Local newspaper

"Stonecastle Properties, Inc.(Michael Withrow) to Old Taylor Partners, LLC (Michelle Anderson, secretary), 83.246 acres on McCracken Pike (Old Taylor Distillery property), $1,150,000."

"Stonecastle Properties Inc. to Michael Withrow, 4.9 acres on McCracken Pike, $1, no deed tax noted."

They sold it to a company similar to that of Old Crow. There is someone that reads this site that has information about the future of the site(they has never posted). I would expect most of the buildings to come down except the Castle, Administration Building, Depot, and Spring House. However, there are plans to do something with these buildings. If the person I know reads this and wants to expand on it, I'll leave it up to him. But thats about all I know.

"Old Taylor Partners LLC, 40 Burton Hills Blvd, Suite 320, Nashville, Heritage Group LLC" was created in August.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.