Distillery Tours

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Planning a trip to Bourbon Co. next fall. Will be riding my Harley and want to visit some distilleries. Looking for the ones that are

out of the way. Any suggestions? The main thing is a scenic ride in the country. Visited Jack Daniels and George Dickel and enjoyed

that ride. George Dickel was hard to find but a great ride.

Any help??

Thanks

FL

Your best bets for places to see along with a scenic country ride are Maker's Mark, near Loretto, and Labrot & Graham, near Versailles. For the most part, the rest are either in towns or don't welcome visitors. Maker's has a web site, I'm not sure about L&G, but they are owned by Brown-Forman (which also owns Daniel's) and they do encourage visitors, so it shouldn't be too hard to find information about them. After Maker's Mark, I recommend exploring some of southern Nelson County, just for the scenery. The area around the Getsemene Monestary is especially beautiful.

- chuck

Tim,

If you are interested in seeing a small warehouse and bottling facility out in the sticks near Lawrenceburg,KY, give me a call. Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery.

Home of the #1 rated whiskey in the world, "Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve", 20-years old.

Julian Van Winkle,III

www.oldripvanwinkle.com

• 2 months later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Julian,

My wife Linda and I will be taking a quicky trip to the Glen's Creek - Lawrenceville area on the 18th, 19th, and 20th of this month. Is there any chance that we might be able to spend a little while visiting you on one of those days?

-John Lipman-

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

• 2 months later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

My wife and I were able to hit three distilleries in one day. We were staying in Frankfort on the way back to VA from Chicago

around Mother's day. We arrived at Wild Turkey after passsing the somewhat nondescript main road to its entrance. We were

about five minutes late for the first tour. Oh well, on to Labrot and Graham, a nice drive down country roads and horse farms.

L&G is like a museum and held in some degree of contempt by those who shall remain nameless. I found it fascinating! I bought

a bottle of Woodford Reserve. These folks actually sent us a Christmas card last year! Back to Wild Turkey after picking up

lunch in Versailles (i think). I find it hard to believe that all those bottles in all those liquor stores come from this one place.

Now I know why I love WT so much. It's the people behind the product. Everyone there was fantastic. One of the ladies on the

bottling line tried to give my wife one of those small airline bottles, she doesn't drink and didn't want to get the woman in

trouble so she didn't accept it. There was a barrel outside by one of the warehouses just sitting there all alone

almost in danger of rolling into the road. Our guide explained to us that it was destined for a single barrel bottling,

(was she pulling my leg?). Next we drove the considerable distance to Maker's Mark, you'll love the winding road. The

smell as you pass Heaven Hill (i think) was almost intoxicating. I wish we could have stopped, but now there is a reason to

return. Maker's is a great tour not as industrial as WT but not as museum like as L&G. The ladies were dipping that day

but my film ran out after I had taken a picture of the machine that fills the bottles, dag-nab-it! Yet another reason to return.

Frankfort has a great Mexican restaurant if your in the area, unfortunately I don't remember its name.

Berghoff wrote: "held in some degree of contempt by those who shall remain nameless."

You need not name names, but I am curious about this comment. What is the basis for the alleged "contempt" toward Labrot & Graham?

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

This comment was expressed to me while I was cooling my heels within Wild Turkey's visitor centre. I'm not sure if the comment

came from a fellow traveler, the tour guide or the guy who had retired from the distillery.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I can't recall specifically what was said, but I got the impression that the place was too pristine, more of a showplace than

a workplace. Sorry for the two replies but I realized too late that I had not answered you completely.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.