A Midwinter Night's Dream

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Ken: Okay, okay, okay! I can't STAND it anymore!! I HAVE to get back to Buffalo Trace, see the changes, say Hi to Elmer and Chris again, and take as many hours of your time as you'll allow us. Is there any possibility that we could visit with you sometime in the second half of February?

Creggor: Your sister's so busy right now, what with her birthday and all; why not visit her next month? Say, about the time Ken says would be good for us to come down. We could all meet at Buffalo Trace.

Mike: Frankfort isn't all that far from Louisville, but I'll bet you haven't been out to Buffalo Trace in a long time. This would be a real good excuse.

Boone: Ditto

BrendaJ: Ditto

Linn & Vicki: Six and a half short hours; a mere cruise in the country. Just enough to get your car's engine oil circulating... and you're running low on irreplaceable supplies anyway. September is such a LONG way off.

Chuck: Ditto

Bushido: Ditto

Joe Bare.: Ditto

Ralph Wilps: Ditto

Doug Bassett: Ditto

Slim Jim Kinsey: Ditto

Greg & JoJo Ditto, (and half that travel time)

Omar, Mark Mason, Jim Butler, Ryan Stotz, Tim Delling, Joe Bottari, Andy Traxel, Lew Bryson, John Schultz, Henry (wherever you live) and of course Manny Moore: There's a real nice airport in Lexington right across the street from the racetrack.

I'd recommend Lexington, rather than Frankfort, to stay. Frankfort has about four motels and they're overpriced and underfeatured. Lexington has a wider selection, better prices, a wide variety of restaurants, and it's about fifteen minutes from the Buffalo Trace watertower.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Running low *my ass*! I'm OUT & I need to go to that BIG liquor store called Kentucky. Let's see here, hmmm, yes; a case of Buffalo Trace half gallons that's $36 times 6 = $216, plus a case of Elmer T. Lee 750ml's at $21 times 12 = $252, And a case of Woodford Reserve 750ml's at $26 times 12 = $316, and then there are new bottlings that I want; the 18 YO Sazrac Rye, Eagle Rare both the 10 & 17 YO's I'll even be a good sport and try that 19 YO Weller and what are they forty bucks a pop? So that's another $160. All told $940 plus another couple of hundred for gas, food and lodging. Yeah twelve hundred bucks ought to do it. I have a bourbonic savings plan in place that should yield that amount of money along about Sept. just in time for the Bourbon Festival. Sorry John it'll just have to wait.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

John,

Great idea. Thanks for the invitation. But I have 8 weeks from hell coming up starting Sunday. Four different business trips will have me out of town almost 1/2 that time. I will be ready for some R&R come late March or early April, though. Can the rest of you hold out until then?

One consolation is my last trip is to Detroit. I stay in Windsor. So I do some whisky shopping. I brought a bottle of Alberta Premium home last year. I'll look for that Lot 40 or Vat 40 this year.

Andy

We are actually initiating hard hat tours in February and lasting until we stop distilling for the season. If you folks can kick around a few dates and get back to me, perhaps we can arrange this prior to the Bourbon Festival. If not, Bourbon Festival time is okay with me.

Ken

Ken,

I'm up for whatever date ya'll decide, as long as I have a day or two advance notice, I will be there. I would like to do this before the festival because Lexington/Frankfort are so pretty in the spring/summer.

But, since we were talking about the Bourbon Festival, I just couldn't resist. Here's a little tidbit from our Kentucky Standard:

The Bourbon Festival board has decided not to release the exact profit margin for the 2000 festival. (Remember, they had to borrow $170,000 from the Bardstown/Nelson County government to float after the 1999 festival fiasco.) Now, although they were able to make an early payment of $25,000, they've decided it, "wouldn't be in our best interest to release those numbers," according to Pam Gover, executive-director of the Bourbon Festival. My first question here is...who is *our* anyway. I'm a taxpayer in Nelson County and I consider myself one of *us*. I love the Bourbon Festival. Don't miss a year! But, I still expect the folks in charge to be more responsible (accountable) with my money. Not only am I a taxpayer but, I am an attendee of the Festival. Therefore, they get my money twice. I want to know where it's going. I'm not making any assumptions here, only knowing that the folks in Frankfort would like to take the festival and make it statewide. Myself, being from Bardstown, I would like to see it stay here, except...I'm tired of this crap.

Just thought I would share a little of the stupidness going on around here.

Smell, sip, taste and enjoy...

Bj

Blowin' smoke in Bardstown

knowing that the folks in Frankfort would like to take the festival and make it statewide.

The Kentucky Bourbon Festival as a movable feast, with events in Bardstown, Frankfort/Versailles, Louisville and maybe other locations? I love it! The area is not that large and seeing the glorious Kentucky countryside as you travel among the different events would be part of the attraction. If nothing were ever more than an hour from your "base" you would stay in the same lodgings, so the motels would get a few extra days of revenue. The idea is that if you make it bigger, not only will more people come, but they will stay longer. I think it's a great idea.

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Wow! That would be great! A true state festival spread over the whole bluegrass area!

If someone involved in the festival would take Omar's idea a step or two further and show the participating distilleries the wisdom of funding special bused tours keyed to festival attendees I think that would also be to everyone's benefit. Heaven Hill already does this on a smaller scale, with a tram combining a quick tour of Bardstown's historic features leading to a tour of the warehouse and bottling facility. It makes a very enjoyable two hours or so, but most people don't even know it exists. A series of half-day tourbus excursions could extend the festival length back to its original week and, as you pointed out, provide extended business to local motels and restaurants as well as businesses in many areas where people do not now ordinarily go. If our little "Shuttle Off To Buffalo" event turns out to be as successful as Omar expects (and I do, too), perhaps it should be presented to the festival committee (or private touring companies) for development in the 2002 festival. I think there are way too many considerations that would need to be resolved to get something like that going this year, but I could see it happening by next year.

=John=

Chuck,

HooHa! It does sound like fun, doesn't it? Course you and John could get me killed. Mary Nancy Todd (KBF board chair) will be trying to stick my favorite low ball glass in a very uncomfortable place...:o)

Lots of folks in town have had about enough of the fiscal incompetence and secrecy. The Kentucky Standard has lawyers working to force the board to release the information under the open records law.

There's a guy in town that's tightly connected to the tour bus industry. Maybe I'll look him up and ask his opinion. I've done some graphics work for him in the past. He owns The Old Stable and Hillbilly Heaven (although local government suggested he change the name to something, something Convention Center because they thought it made us sound too 'country'.....well,duh!)

I'm really not trying to make any of board members mad. I just think The Festival is too important to ALL of Kentucky to play games with it.

Whew! Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'll climb down from the soap-box and crawl off to bed....:o)

Bj

Blowin' smoke in Bardstown

John,

I think that I'm inclined to disagree with you on one point here; the Capital Plaza Holiday Inn in Frankfort is a pretty nice place, and you can almost hit Buffalo Trace with a rock from there. I think we paid $69 a night to stay there, which seems quite reasonable to me ...

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jim,

That IS very reasonable. And you're right about the proximity; any closer and they'd have to put you up at Blanton's mansion! However, the price I saw was $119.00 which is a LONG way from $69, even if I CAN save $11.90 with my United Geezers of America discount. For sixty-nine bucks, we can (and did for that price) stay at a rather bleak Super 8 with a lovely view of the Hardy's drive-thru. The EconoLodge North in Lexington isn't much better but it's clean, the management staff is awake and cares whether you like the place or not, and it costs $40.00 a night to stay there. In practical terms, that means a higher quality level of restuarant for dinner!

=John=

Ahhh,

Perhaps I should have included that we stayed there the second week of April, which isnt exactly the peak of the tourist season. I really can't imagine a much nicer time of year to visit KY though. The weather was perfect -- t-shirt and blue jeans all day. A few weeks earlier might have been nice as well, I would have enjoyed seeing those deciduous forests in bloom.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Omar,

I have been out of town quite a bit lately and am trying to catch up on the board. How is the planning for our little get together going? Any dates?

Ken

I just checked the rate for this weekend, Jan 27, at the Holiday Inn Frankfort and the "best rate" is $79, $64 if you've got a govt. ID.

Greg

Greg,

That seems about right to me. It was April of '99 that we were there.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.