anyone see "Hands on History" show about bourbon?

NorCalBoozer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I caught this show last week, I believe it was on the History Channel and I think the show was called "Hands on History" and it was about the history of bourbon and this host toured a distillery and showed the whole process of making bourbon. He was fillin barrels, rolling barrels, hand dipping some knob creek. Anyways it was quite well done.

I just tried to search the History channel site but couldn't find anything so i'm wondering if i have the wrong channel and show name.

I have seen this (twice in the past year). Pretty good show but if I recall it had a few small factual errors.

Look for it. The host (who's name escapes me) is the same guy who has a home fix-it show.

Not to change the subject slightly but I just saw Rumrunners and Moonshiners on the History channel. It was interesting. It had Gary Reagan (most of the commentary) and Booker Noe on it. They also mentioned that one of the Beam's (forget which one) was busted for moonshining and it was covered up by the family.

That Beam was my grandfather, Harry Beam grin.gif. Big Six, busted him for making moonshine. My Great-Grandma (Katie Beam) paid $1000.00 to keep it quite back then...

Many of the folks in this documentary are from my hometown, Joanne Perkins, Earl Johnson (he owns a bar (Sherwood Inn) in the middle of town that has been in his family for four generations...A bar, bed and breakfast now. It's located right beside the Kentucky Railway Museum. Old wood (back) mantle really ornate, probably looks the same as it did over a hundred ++ years ago---Mr. Johnson is very knowledgeable in the history of bourbon in our county.

My Mom grin.gif (Jean Beam Hall) and Aunt Jo grin.gif (Jo Beam) are in this documentary. They are twins (dressed in red) you will see them toward the end. They tell the story about Big Six busting, Pop Beam. Back then it was awful gossip...lots of folks made shine...cept...in the woods and hollers...Pop, had his "little still" in the basement of that old house...

Bettye Jo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.