Van Winkle Rye

doc_mcCabe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody know when the newest batch of Van Winkle Rye is slated to hit the market? I recall hearing something 6 months or so ago about it becoming available in July. Just wondering if this is still the plan.

We plan to bottle the '05 rye in July. It should start trickling out to states during the month & into August.

You can tell it's the new bottling by the "G" before the number at the top of the label.

Julian

We plan to bottle the '05 rye in July. It should start trickling out to states during the month & into August.

You can tell it's the new bottling by the "G" before the number at the top of the label.

Julian

woohoo.gifyum.gifbowdown.giftoast.gifthankyousign.gif

SpeedyJohn

John,

Is any of this going to be available in Pennsylvania?

Joe usflag.gif

So "Old Time Rye" doesn't spell the end of VWFRR? Excellent! (Indeed, both of them are.)

Julian

So "Old Time Rye" doesn't spell the end of VWFRR?..

Actually, the opposite was true -- some time ago. The Old Time Rye 12yo hasn't been bottled since the VW Family Reserve Rye, which succeeded it, has existed.

So "Old Time Rye" doesn't spell the end of VWFRR?..

Actually, the opposite was true -- some time ago. The Old Time Rye 12yo hasn't been bottled since the VW Family

Reserve Rye, which succeeded it, has existed.

Really? Wow...Martin Wine Cellar in NO had a bunch. Glad I bought two bottles.

I sure hope so. It's not listed, yet. I'll keep an eye on it.

SpeedyJohn

Looking forward to comparing the latest offering to the previous Frankfort and Lawrenceburg bottlings.....any insight on what to expect?

schlep

• 5 weeks later...

We just finally bottled the 13-year rye last week, so it will be in stores within a month.

Sorry, we do not have enough to ship any to PA.

It should taste the same as the last Frankfort bottling, last year, with an "F" on the label.

Julian

I'll buy it for sure. Always wanted to be a G man. smile.gif

Gary

Thanks for the update Julian. This really is my all-time favorite whiskey, and I look forward to this new expression.

M. McCabe

That's fantastic news woohoo.gif

I doubt any will make its way to the Australian distributor if bottle numbers are limited, so I'll keep an eye out for it online at places like Binnys.

thankyousign.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Bittersweet news, indeed, for fans in PA. Where will it be available?

SpeedyJohn

The new VW Rye is now available at Binny's at the amazing price of $29.99. For what may be one of the great spirits of our time, this is really nothing. Soon I will compare the older "F" series with the "S" and now the "G" expressions. Any thoughts on these different bottlings?

Mark McCabe

The new VW Rye is now available at Binny's at the amazing price of $29.99.

Where did you see it? It's not listed on their website.

Joe usflag.gif

This would be the G bottling. I'd be interested in a taste note by the person who first runs into this. Just to backtrack a bit, the early bottlings of ORVW 13 year old were great. Later, the whiskey seemed a tad "older" to me, I understood in fact it was aging in barrel until it reached 16 years old or so and then was tanked in stainless, so this current bottling would be from the tank (as F was I believe).

I must say also, the F bottling tasted somewhat different to me than earlier bottlings, it wasn't just an age thing. Can't put my figure on why, may have been the particular last barrels that went into the tank. I bought a few of the F's and my favorite was no. 747 - really, it was creamy and rich, better than the others from F I tried. But still all ORVW rye is fine whiskey, of whatever specific age and iteration: I look forward to trying these G bottles just coming out.

Gary

To the left of the bourbons are some shelves of rye. There they sit. This is at the Binny's on North Clark, here in Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...

The rye we are bottling now, series "G", was tanked at 19-years. Last year's "F" series is the same whiskey. We never tanked anything at 16-years. I also believe the rye was better at a younger age, but this 19-year is still wonderful. Of course, the age is stated as 13-year on the label.

Julian

The rye we are bottling now, series "G", was tanked at 19-years. Last year's "F" series is the same whiskey.

Wow, hope we can find some of this. LOVED last year's version; better than Sazerac, in our humble opinion.

I have a bottle marked "B280," purchased in Paris. I personally prefer the "F" bottlings, and if the new "G" bottlings are the same, I'm delighted. To me, this is not only the finest whiskey I've ever had, but takes my vote as the single greatest spirit ever made. No kidding. IMHO it doesn't get any better than this. Thanks Julian!

Mark McCabe

• 1 month later...

I have a "G" bottling here, which I just opened tonight. I haven't had any other Van Winkle rye bottlings, and the only other ryes I've had have been Rittenhouse BIB, and (not labeled as such, but definitely has a rye flavor) Forty Creek.

Oh, my... yum.gif What can I say - it's a Van Winkle. drink.gif

This is seriously good stuff, with a sweet'n'spicy start that segues into a dry, warming, very long-lasting finish. The Rittenhouse's finish doesn't last as long, and it's obviously not aged as long.

Still, the Rittenhouse is mighty good in its own right - it's good to have one of each in your cabinet. toast.gif

I'd hever tried rye whiskey before today. I saw a bottle of the "F" Van Winkle Rye today, so I gave it a shot, since I've heard so many good things about it. All I can say is WOW, this stuff is just incredible. I've been missing out not trying rye sooner.

It might be safe to say that Van Winkle Rye has secured a spot in my cabinet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.