Bourbon Glass Lid

MTBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Greetings fellow bourbon lovers,

I’ve been lurking at this site for over a year now and thought it was time to register and ask my first question. Somewhere I had once seen a glass disc, about the size of a small coaster, that was used to cover your glass between sips. On more than one occasion I’ve left a partially drank glass of beer or bourbon sitting at my desk and return to find a drunken insect swimming in it. I’ve searched eBay under whiskey glass lid and cover with no luck. Does this lid have a proper name? Does anyone know of a site that sells them? I know I can just use a coaster and it will work fine but I’m one of those guys that like to use the right tool for the job.

Mark

Greetings fellow bourbon lovers,

I’ve been lurking at this site for over a year now and thought it was time to register and ask my first question. Somewhere I had once seen a glass disc, about the size of a small coaster, that was used to cover your glass between sips. On more than one occasion I’ve left a partially drank glass of beer or bourbon sitting at my desk and return to find a drunken insect swimming in it. I’ve searched eBay under whiskey glass lid and cover with no luck. Does this lid have a proper name? Does anyone know of a site that sells them? I know I can just use a coaster and it will work fine but I’m one of those guys that like to use the right tool for the job.

Mark

Hi Mark, and welcome. I think you'll find the folks here to be very knowledgable and helpful. I sure do.

To answer your question, I am only familiar with the Glenmorangie Glass:

The Glass

You'll see it on the far left. Many (but not all) versions of this include a lid.

I am not aware of any 'after market' lids but they probably exist.

As an aside, the lid is for concentrating the aromas. Any bug screening is just a plus!!

Cheers,

Ken

The item to which you refer is a watch glass, a concave glass disc available through labware suppy houses.

They are available in multiple diameters. A 65 mm watch glass will work perfectly for a Riedel Bourbon glass, which is 52 mm wide at the opening, for example. Larger sizes will work well with Old Fashioned and Highball glasses. Just measure yours and buy the appropriate size!

Indigo has multiple sizes. Science Stuff does, too.

post-207-14489812008789_thumb.jpg

Wow! Thats a lot cooler than using a coaster.

One question though, most good glassware is hand blow and therefore not perfectly circular or flat at the top how well will a concave disk actually going to fit and hold in the aroma?

One question though, most good glassware is hand blow and therefore not perfectly circular or flat at the top how well will a concave disk actually going to fit and hold in the aroma?

Test your handblown glassware by inverting it against a known flat surface. If it doesn't wobble, the rim of your glass is on an even plane and should seal well against the under surface of the watch glass.

The item to which you refer is a watch glass, a concave glass disc available through labware suppy houses.

They are available in multiple diameters. A 65 mm watch glass will work perfectly for a Riedel Bourbon glass, which is 52 mm wide at the opening, for example. Larger sizes will work well with Old Fashioned and Highball glasses. Just measure yours and buy the appropriate size!

Indigo has multiple sizes. Science Stuff does, too.

The cheapest I have found is Ward Scientific . They have 65mm ones for $6.69/package of 12. Shipping is a standard $5.00. I'm ordering 3 dozen.

I am also buying a case of 36 Libbey Citation tall wine glasses 8466, 6-1/2 oz. for tasting. Restaurant Supply has them for $68.08/case of 36 plus $12.60 shipping. These were the cheapest I have found. Galasource has them for a similar price.

I chose this style as being the closest to what the bourbon distilleries seem to use, although these are a bit smaller. I wanted a smaller size so that a 1/2 ounce sample wouldn't get lost. That's as much as I think makes sense for a flight of, say, six whiskeys.

I am getting together the Ann Arbor Bourbon Appreciation Society for a first meeting later this month. If there are any bourbon fans nearby who are interested, send me an email at the address on my SB.com "home".

Jeff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.