"New" ryes

BobA
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, it seems that the current bottling of the Van Winkle rye has made its way to some of you. Any tasting notes? Comparisons with the "F" bottling? Unfortunately, it's all just a torture for me as it doesn't seem to get here to GA, but I'd still like reading about it.

How about the new 6-yr old Sazerac? Has it been bottled yet? Shipped? Tasted? Actually, if either of these linger on some shelves into late fall, I may be able to get some.

Bob

NOpe haven't seen it in Louisiana yet, though I'll be in Bardstown the end of this week. I'll be on the lookout there.

As far as availability, I can't say for the Van Winkle (though past experience says it'll be on the shelves at least that long), but the Saz Jr. is, to the best of my knowledge, supposed to be a regular bottling, so it should be readily available drink.gif(I'm guessing in selected states, though).

But, Ken will know better than me. bowdown.gif

The glass just arrived this week! We will be bottling the new rye in about 2 - 3 weeks, depending upon how fast things move through Blanton's Bottling Hall.

Ken

Great! Had some Saz 18 last night and if the 6 yr. is a third as good (and I can find it), it will be a terrific addition to the market.

BTW, what kind of price point are you expecting?

Bob

Ken showed us the glass during our BT tour. Wow, its a fine piece of German craftsmanship. Kind of like the throwback Jack Daniels bottles with white painted script labels.

Really Cool.

• 4 weeks later...

It is illegal to set shelf prices, since we sell to distributors who sell to retailers who sell to consumers.

Ken

PS. About $19.99 for the 750ml

I actually picked up a bottle last weekend but it remains unopened. I have no experience with the other bottlings so I cannot help with the comparisons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ken,

What's the status of the new release?

Released?

I say California is the place it ought to be.

So, please, load it on the truck and move it to Berkeley.

Ledger's, that is,

University Avenue...

Roger

PS: Last Ledger's plug for awhile - my only excuse it that it fit form AND meter!

I say California is the place it ought to be.

So, please, load it on the truck and move it to Berkeley.

Ledger's, that is,

University Avenue...

Hey! Why don't they just load up a case or so and send it down to headquarters in New Orleans for me, I'll pick up. lol.gif

Hey! Why don't they just load up a case or so and send it down to headquarters in New Orleans for me, I'll pick up. lol.gif

...But don't forget California, because then my thirst would still be unslaked. Composing lyrics is hard work. wink.gif

Roger - recomposing? decomposing? - Hodges

• 2 weeks later...

So, the release statement is out. Who else is a little disappointed by the "initial release" of only 1000 bottles. I wasn't looking forward to another specially numbered limited edition. Damnit I just wanted a regular bottle to drink. And I wanted everybody to be able to get it. Okay so I wasn't expecting wider distribution than BT but that still gets it wide enough that mail order is possible. Demonstration.gif

But on the bright side, if it is to be a $20 "flagship" product then it should be at least as available as Buffalo Trace...which is to say not within a thousand miles of me (okay I guess that isn't such a great bright side from my viewpoint). That's is, unless, they pull the Jed Clampett that I waxed lyrically about earlier in this thread.

Humor aside, doesn't it seem like BT held off of this release for some time? Perhaps they thought that a product they want to identify strongly with New Orleans should be associated with the rebirth of the city, not the city in crisis. Their ad copy talks of things that made New Orleans wonderful and unique and how Sazerac Rye strives to represent the true “Spirit of New Orleans.†I could see street musicians playing Dixieland on the streetcorner and locals at street-front coffeehouses sipping their Sazeracs, heads slightly bobbing. I also notice the line that "Sazerac is one of New Orleans oldest family owned, privately held companies." Not was, is, and that's why once again, I salute those classy people at Buffalo Trace.

Roger

PS - And please bring Sazerac Rye to California

Yes, it does seem like they held off for a while on this, though I first heard about it from Elmer about 2 years ago, so I've been getting antsy. lol.gif

Because of what happened in New Orleans, we held off introducing the Sazerac Rye. As a matter of fact, we held off so long our new 6 year old rye is actually 7 years old.

Ken

Ken, first, a belated thanks for your note on what happens to whiskey that falls short of a full case where a barrel is bottled for a customer.

My question now is, can we see a picture of the new Sazerac rye whiskey bottle? I believe no one has posted a picture of the bottle or label yet. The idea to adapt a late 1800's design is brilliant and I can't wait to see the item (and taste it).

Best wishes with the launch.

Gary

This morning the folks at Buffalo Trace told me that the 6 yr rye was bottled and out to the distributors a couple of weeks ago. They referred me to Binny's and Sam's Wines, but neither of them has it in stock yet. Can't wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw that the NH web site (http://www.state.nh.us/liquor/) is now listing Sazerac 6 YO (really 7 YO, as per Ken Weber) for $18.99, but none in stock yet. My experience is that they list items a few weeks or so before inventory actually gets to the state stores. Looks like another item on my "must buy" list and the price is good, too. Thanks, Buffalo Trace! bowdown.gifthankyousign.gif

I was told today by a liquor store salesman that he talked to the distributor today and that the Saz Jr. would be in the end of the month to early Feb...in Louisville!!!

What's taking so long?

...What's taking so long?

I continue to shake my head that we here in Tennessee have gotten it so early -- that never happens! Even JD is orchestrated via Brown-Forman (its owner) in Louisville.

I'm beginning to think maybe the distributor jumped the gun to our store -- we got a 6-bottle case just after Christmas -- just because we'd been right about its existence from the beginning (Thanks, SB.com thankyousign.gif).

On the other hand, he had to have in-house, didn't he?

Unfortunatly, this means that I'll probably miss out on this one, as I'm going back to school(Louisiana) tomorrow and don't expect to find any there...

Any still left in that store, Tim? or did you clean them out?

...Any still left in that store, Tim? or did you clean them out?

It is the store where I work part-time. They now reside in the home where I reside.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.