BOTM, 10/05: Buffalo Trace

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A close runner up in last month's BOTM poll, but second to none in quality and value. Buffalo Trace, both as a brand and a distillery, embodies all of the tradition of the past, and the best of the modern art of bourbon making. Join me in raising a glass in honor of October's BOTM: Buffalo Trace

Now what say you?

893drillsergeant-thumb.gifSound Off893drillsergeant-thumb.gif

Too funny, I opened a new bottle on Saturday and have been working on it alone for the last 4 days. We (my work partners and I) had today off so we decided to take yet another tour of the distillery. I asked about the ETA of the Stagg, it will be bottled in about 2 weeks and will take another 2 weeks to hit the shelves. They were doing Blantons today. I was told Elmer was on site today, but we didn't run into him. Buffalo Trace is still my favorite, followed closely by Elmer T. Lee and Elijah Craig.

I will get a bottle at the first opportunity. I have an open bottle about a quarter full. I will get a new one and do a side by side.

I enjoyed Wild Turkey Rare Breed last month though I haven't yet posted much about it. I drank quite a few different of Wild Turkey expressions as well. I can tell you this right now. They were all great!

Ed

Hey, I am an Enthusiast now!

I have an open bottle (half full) of Kentucky Spirit sitting next to my laptop, I like the BT MUCH better. And at about half the price, that's convenient...

A close runner up in last month's BOTM poll, but second to none in quality and value. ... Join me in raising a glass in honor of October's BOTM: Buffalo Trace

I suspect that I may not be the only one with the standard bottling plus single barrel bottlings - in my case, Barrels No. 1 and No. 2 from Cork 'n' Barrel in Covington, KY.

Shall we include comments on these as well?

Jeff

Great Choice - I have about 2/3 of the bottle I picked up in the UK last year left....

In fact, I had a generous pour on Saturday night. It still hasn't lost any flavour despite being open for almost a year laugh.gif (Can't wait until the day it hits our Australian market bowdown.gif)

I'll post my tasting thoughts later this week....

Sure, just preface your remarks with the particular version you are sampling. In fact, several of us here have a single-barrel version from a barrel purchase we made during the 2004 Festival, and I plan on a side-by-side comparative tasting yum.gif

Ed,

Feel free to continue to comment on past BOTMs. While their threads are no longer pinned to the top of the forum, they are still open and awaiting your remarks. toast.gif

I have been attempting to clear out (drink up!) my current bottles of Sazerac and Eagle Rare 17 to make room for the new ones coming out shortly. However, I decided to sample my first bourbon of the month, that being Wild Turkey Rare Breed (last years edition).

When I first got it I sampled it a few times and didn't know whether I really liked it or not. The last two samplings I took of it have been great. Lots of really nice flavors without any real bite to it if you ask me. It also goes REALLY nice with a cigar. This and Evan Williams Single Barrel have been my favorite stogie drinks thus far.

I will have some Buffalo Trace this weekend, I'm about 3/4 way through the bottle, and post that as well.

I'm a little over halfway through my first bottle of Buffalo Trace. This is the the Binny's Single Barrel version. I must say it is very good, and gets better and better after every drink. Now typically, I'm not good with any kind of tasting notes like some people here. I know what I like but I couldn't tell you whether it tasted like fresh fruit or fresh tobacco. However, this one is a little different. As God is my witness, I actually can compare it to something now!!! When, I was drinking it last night I could actually taste clove. Then, the aftertaste was like those little cinnamon mints you get in a tin. Yeah, my tasting notes need work but that's what it reminds me of. Anyway, wonderful bourbon and I can't wait til it comes to California on a regular basis!

That's truly an awesome choice! toast.gif Fortunately I bopught another bottle the other day. Maybe I'll celebrate and open it tonight/this morning. smile.gif

I'm on my third bottle of BT. For $17.00, it is an outstanding drink. Last night I had a pour; it was after an Eagle Rare Single Barrel. The BT came across with a more pronounced buttery flavor, most enjoyable. I was worried it would'nt hold up after the ERSB, but it did quite nicely.

Does anyone know if the Binny's Single Barrel of Buffalo Trace is bottled before or after the bourbon is re-barreled? Just curious. Thanks!

Mark

I would guess that, since that is a single barrel product, there would be no need to re-barrel it. I believe the standard BT is re-barreled after all the barrels are mingled together. This would provide a product that could be bottled in stages while still being consistant, at least for a short time.

It's dangerously drinkable. Tonight I was a little careless as I tried to give myself a generous pour in the rocks glass I've been using lately. I ended up closer to four ounces than two. I considered getting out a funnel and putting half back in the bottle, but I decided it was too much trouble. Now I'm less than an ounce away from finishing the glass.

Unlike most of my semi-regular pours, BT has no flinch-factor, even at first sip. Tonight I found the similarity to sherry, which I've mentioned before, even stronger than usual. And yes, it still borders on being too sweet, but only in comparison to what I consider the norm for bourbon. Taken on its own, it's delicious.

Even so, I still crave a litte tang, a little bite . . . a little something to balance the sweetness. I still haven't tried blending in a few drops of WT 101, but someday I will.

One thing I will never try is mixing it with ginger ale or any other component that conveys sweetness. BT has plenty already.

What is the best thing one can do to improve the flavor of Buffalo Trace? Just what I suspect the Buffalo Trace Distillery does; let it age in charred oak about five more years and then put it in a fancy, square cross-section bottle that goes for $40 a pop.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I had a go at this one yesterday and I must say that i find it to be thoroughly enjoyable.

I didn´t get to try this one until early this year and I was really taken aback by it´s awesome complexity, especially for a whiskey that carries no age-statement or small-batch/single barrel tag.

To me it seems to have a little bit of everything. Just the right amount of spice, hedonistic butteriness and, best of all, a delicious fruitiness which sort of meanders along amidst the other flavours. Afte a minute or so, it settles down at the back of the tongue, leaving the field to firm corn and biting spice.

The finish is somewhat anonymous but in all, I would say that this would make a good ambassador for the Bourbon cause.

Incidentally, when BT was released in Sweden at the tag end of last year, it did receive a nice write-up in Sweden´s leading morning paper. The first one I´ve seen since I got into Bourbon in a big way. Hope we get to keep this one, Ken!

BT has become my daily pour --- both because of its consistent quality and taste and because the BT folks are among the friendliest and customer-focused in the industry.

I had a chance to do a personal taste comparison of the following:

- Buffalo Trace

- Buffalo Trace single-barrel (this from a "honey barrel" bottling done for the Cork & Bottle liquor stores in Northern KY)

- Elmer T. Lee

I could definitely taste the similarities in all three. In fact, the last two were almost indistinguishable. (The BT single barrel a huge bargain at $19.97!)

Is BT made from the same mash bill as Elmer T. Lee?

Buffalo Trace comes from BT Mash Bill #1, whereas, Elmer T. Lee comes from BT Mash Bill #2. However, I must admit that Elmer was the one who choose the flavor profile for both bourbons. I have to admit they have a flavor profile that is not too far apart.

Ken

When someone selects their own personal barrel, we take the samples out of the barrel as they are standing there. We allow them to taste the bourbon uncut and then cut to about 60 proof. Once the barrel is selected from among the other candidates, we try to process, bottle, and ship within 4 - 5 weeks.

Ken

However, I must admit that Elmer was the one who choose the flavor profile for both bourbons. I have to admit they have a flavor profile that is not too far apart.

Ken

While my utterly poor "review" of George T Stagg is not in my favour, I must disagree. wink.gif Although similar, but that minty, ethereal character of BT, with more rye input both on the nose and on the palate, I think I wouldn't have that big of a problem separating the two at a blind tasting.

By the way, I recently saw a European webshop sell GTS 65,9% for 155 Euros (US $ 187). Too steep for me! frown.gif

I am a huge fan of BT because of its versatility. Very tough to beat at its price point and much better than some substanitally higher priced bourbons. I almost exclusively enjoy it neat, although IMHO, BT makes the best manhattan, hands down. Like others on this forum, three visits to the distillery has added to my appreciation of this fine pour. Great choice for BOTM! drink.gif

schlep

The first few times I tried Buffalo Trace I really enjoyed it. I'm going back to the bottle after some time due to the BOTM thread here. It seems a little flatter than I remember which could be due to one of two things:

1. My bottle is 3/4 empty so my it's has seen a little too much air.

2. I've had Stagg a few times this week and that taste is over powering the poor ole BT.

Either way I still like it a great deal and look forward to opening another bottle to see if air was the issue.

Heya,

I'd never dream of making a Manhattan with a BT, but otherwise, what are the price ranges you are talking about? With a JB White, sure...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!