Old St Nick Sommer & Winter Rye

rob
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Evening all!

A German online shop have these two in stock and I am curious about them but the company will for some reason not answer my e-mails, asking for details. I have never heard of this brand. Before I invest some 50 Euros a bottle, can anyone here help out with some info and maybe tasting notes? Also, I am not even sure it's American...

(Rye whiskey is not very easy to come by in Europe, so whenever I see a new one I always wanna buy it. Can't wait to get my hands on the 6 year-old Sazerac soon!)

Thanks in advance!

/Rob

post-1119-14489812057842_thumb.jpg

Old St. Nick is a brand done by the Kulsveens' in Bardstown (We got lucky enough to try some at the Gazebo, Thanks Drew!) I remember it being quite good, but alas, I don't remember anymore whether it was the bourbon or rye (seems like it was rye, but I had quite a few that night) It is export only, so getting it in the States is (practically) impossible. I envy your ability to have access to it.

Personally, I would love to have those. There was a thread here about the brand a year or more ago. Try Search.

Tim

Tim/Rob

The bottle Drew brought to the Gazebo last month was a Very Old St. Nick, 25 year old Bourbon, 81.2 proof, D12-19-73, B 4-29-99, bottle # 767, gold wax dipped top. As I recall, this bottling was an over-seas bottling for the Japan market selling for prox 300 bucks...Thanks again Drew, all would agree, that was a great experience!

I'd love to try the Rye. Rob, why not bring that with you to the gazebo this spring at Sampler time!

Best regards, dougdog

Hi Rob,

I have and love the Old Saint Nick Winter Rye 101 proof. Best Rye I have had to date, thought that is not too many as the present time.d

Ed

Hi Rob,

I wrote my earlier post in the morning before work so I couldn't go have a pour and try to tease out some of the flavors of this fine whiskey.

I am not much for writing tasting notes but here goes.

Nose: Some vanilla, some cookie spices, brown sugar. Somehow it all adds up to Fresh Air.

Taste: Sweet. The closest I can come is brown sugar but that isn't quite it. The spices come through more. Mint. Maybe some cinnamon, but really more like cloves. The vanilla I mentioned above I don't really find in the taste. More Fresh Air. I think that is what I really like about this whiskey.

Finish: Nice and warm. Long lasting. Fades down to cloves which lingers on and on.

If there are ryes better than this I can't wait to try them!

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Is that what I think it means (I can't read it), you get all 12 bottles for that price.

At $110 a bottle, depending on what all the ages/proofs are it doesn't sound like too bad a deal.

Outta my price range (my student loans won't cover that), but still not too outrageous.

Olde Saint Nick 15 year 53.5%

Olde Saint Nick 17 year 51.8%

Olde Saint Nick 18 year 47%

Olde Saint Nick 19 year 47%

Olde Saint Nick 20 year Barrel 58.2%

Olde Saint Nick 22year Estate 40.6%

Olde Saint Nick 23 year Estate 40.6%

Olde Saint Nick 24 year Estate 40.6%

Olde Saint Nick 25 Year Estate 40.6%

Olde Saint Nick 12 year Rye 51.8%

Olde Saint Nick 18 year rye 52.3%

Olde Saint Nick 17 year rye 58.1%

Here is what the bottles in the picture are. I don't know what they mean by Estate. I have the twenty year old Barrel. I think I paid $70 or $80. Well worth it. I had a thimble full of the 25. I heard that the 25 cost around three hundred dollars. Can't say much about it though. I was drinking Eagle Rare 17 at the time. The ER 17 kind of overpowered the 25. The Rye I have is nine years old, I think, and 50.5 % It goes for around $35.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

I just returned from Tokyo. I saw three of these (multiples of each) at a store I visited. If I remember correctly, they were all priced around 5000-6000 yen (about $50 USD). I wish I had seen this thread before I went. I would have picked some up. 2 of the varieties I saw were the 15yo and either the 18 or 19 yo. I don't remember what the other one was.

As an aside, I was surprised at the variety of bourbon there. It was a lot more extensive (and less expensive) than I would have beleived. There were quite a few brands I had never seen before over here. Virgin (in 3 different bottlings) is the only one that comes to mind, but there were about 7 or 8 I had never heard of.

Jay

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.