I had forgotten about this ...

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some years ago I was helping a friend move. We were going through his garage, and I stumbled across a copy of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat from 1944 that had been stashed in the space under a drawer. I found this add in it; I'd scanned it some years ago, then just ran across it while inspecting an old data backup.

post-3-1448981206316_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Old Thompson Blended Whiskey dates back to when James Thompson and Bro. was first founded in the 1890's. It was also advertised as being "Wed in the Wood". They would make their blend of whiskies and GNS and then put it back in the barrels for six months to a year before bottling the whiskey. They quit doing this in the 1970's. The brand was part of the sale to Barton in the 1990's.

Mike Veach

Good info Mike, thanks.

Somewhere I have the remnants of that newspaper. It contains a few liquor store ads, and the bourbon prices were amazing ($1.39 for a half gallon) by today's standards anyway. Though I'm not so sure that $1.39 for a 1.75 of Old Crow was a good deal even then. grin.gif

What I found really interesting about the Old Thompson ad is that it's "stand alone." I can't remember if I've ever seen a hard alcohol ad in the PD in the 25 years I've been subscribed to it.

Jim,

I think you are underestimating the Old Crow, putting today's product in the past. Old Crow was once the most famous brand in America and known for quality. It was not until the 1970's that the quality really fell to the present level. In the 1940's it was at least on the level with Old Taylor and Old Grand Dad.

If you think the prices are low in the 1940's you should see them in the 1870's. E H Taylor, Jr. is selling OFC at three years old at $1.10 per gallon. Of course you had to buy the whole barrel since he did not bottle his own product, but I would not paying $50.00 for a barrel of fine bourbon that I could then let age as long as I wished. He even made sure the barrel was a presentation piece with brass hoops and an attractive brand on the head.

Mike Veach

think you are underestimating the Old Crow, putting today's product in the past.

That was an intentionally tonque-in-cheek comment on my part Mike. I figured if anyone knew what 1944 Old Crow tasted like it would be you.

This is certainly an off topic comment, but I just can't believe that I was able to buy a 1.75 of bourbon the quality of VOB 100 for $16.99 while in KY this September. Unfortunately, there's only an inch left in the bottle, and none available here in CA. Shoulda bought a case!

Jim,

Very Old Baton Bottled in Bond has always been one of my favorites. It is also good to cook with because it has a distinct enough flavor to compete with other spice as such in food.

So we don't hijack this thread, I will note that I have never tried the Old Thompson from the 40's. I always wondered if being "Wed in the Wood" really made it better than other blends.Maybe Gary has tried this brand in his experimentation with blends and could tell us something.

Mike Veach

Jim,

I think you are underestimating the Old Crow, putting today's product in the past. Old Crow was once the most famous brand in America and known for quality. It was not until the 1970's that the quality really fell to the present level. In the 1940's it was at least on the level with Old Taylor and Old Grand Dad.

If you think the prices are low in the 1940's you should see them in the 1870's. E H Taylor, Jr. is selling OFC at three years old at $1.10 per gallon. Of course you had to buy the whole barrel since he did not bottle his own product, but I would not paying $50.00 for a barrel of fine bourbon that I could then let age as long as I wished. He even made sure the barrel was a presentation piece with brass hoops and an attractive brand on the head.

Mike Veach

Put me down for 5 barrels, Mike!! $250. I can do that! Just gotta convince the wife of the estetics of aging Bourbon barrels as home decor shocked.gif

Probably age better in the attic anyway, huh??

Ken

Probably age better in the attic anyway, huh??

Really Ken, why stop there? If you wanted to truly pursue the scientific method in this case, wouldn't it be better to buy three barrels? Put one in the attic, one in the basement, and the third in the pantry?

Or maybe just on the back porch where it would be readily accessible. smilielol.gif

I like the way you think, Jim. But I really think the attic would give me the best of hot summers and cool winters to get the most out of the wood. It's always in shade and fully ridge vented.

I don't want it to age like Scotch for 40-50 years because the temp is always 40-80

Just don't know if I could leave it be, even for 15 years. Heck, I might not even live that long.

Ken

I figured if anyone knew what 1944 Old Crow tasted like it would be you.

Actually, thanks to Koji I *do* know exactly what this tastes like (as do his other customers that night!) Answer: it's recognizable as bourbon, but very different from bourbon whiskey today.

I'll let Koji speak to the provenance (I think -- gasp -- eBay! blush.gif) but he has a bottle of 1944 Old Crow at his bar. I've visited the past two times I've been in Japan -- it's a ways outside of Tokyo but worth the trip!

My tasting notes are sketchy: it was a BIB distilled 1940-bottled 1944. The nose and the taste had an overtone (not oak nor corn) that I assume came from the ND stills of the time -- that's the taste that I can't find in any "modern" bourbon (it's close to the early Woodford/OFBB but not at all fruity.) Burn and finish were moderate. A pleasant -- and different -- pour!

Ken,

Actually E H Taylor, Jr. actually recommends aging in you attic and to take the bung out for a week, then replace the bung and roll the barrel 360 degrees every day for a week, and then repeat these steps until it reaches the flavor profile you wish.

You should remember too that this whiskey was distilled at a little over 100 proof and put into the barrel at 100 proof so it will age quicker and better than anything being done today. The closest to this today would be Wild Turkey.

Mike Veach

Ken,

Actually E H Taylor, Jr. actually recommends aging in you attic and to take the bung out for a week, then replace the bung and roll the barrel 360 degrees every day for a week, and then repeat these steps until it reaches the flavor profile you wish.

You should remember too that this whiskey was distilled at a little over 100 proof and put into the barrel at 100 proof so it will age quicker and better than anything being done today. The closest to this today would be Wild Turkey.

Mike Veach

You're bring me to tears, here, Mike.... I want some in my attic!!!!!

Wild Turkey, eh??? My person favorite! (which makes this hurt even worse!)

Gotta go pour a KS!

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Jim,

That is a very cool ad and so is the information that everyone else has contributed...I had found this bottle a long while before finding this site and had given it to a friend of mine who's last name is Thompson...seemed only fitting.

I asked to borrow it back for a picture for my arhchives and a taste. I poured it in a blind tasting to the "Study Group" last month and it got favorable reviews, no one suspected it was a blend...maybe aging the GNS isn't such a bad idea.

Best regards, dougdog

post-929-14489812103107_thumb.jpg

no one suspected it was a blend...maybe aging the GNS isn't such a bad idea.

I had a drink of Ky Tavern Blend a few nights back and it wasn't bad at all. I think Gillman has an appreciation for blends. They may have a place in the lineup.Certainly no one would care if mixers were used as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.