"New" Elmer T. Lee

Nevill
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had a bottle several weeks ago, it was sealed in gold wax, turned out to be one of my favorites. I just picked up another to replace it with, instead of the gold wax it has a gold plastic type seal. Having just opened it and had the first few sips, I have to say, not only is it easier to open than the last bottle, I believe it even tastes better! I advise everyone to go pick one of these "new" bottles up and give it a try, it is awesome. It should tide me over until the Stagg hits the shelves...

I purchased a few bottles of the new ETL with the gold plastic and found it to be fantastic. The ones I got were exclusive to High Time Wines, so I wasn't sure whether or not they got a honey barrel, or if the new ones were better. Sounds like the new one is better. toast.gif

I noticed the newest ones I got in had no wax, too. I was disappointed to not see the gold wax, but it's good to hear good reviews of what's inside, which is what matters anyway. I haven't had the chance to pop one, yet. Thanks for the encouragement to make that one my next!

I'm about 1/4 of the way through this bottle, and it just keeps getting better. My last 2 bottles were an ORVW 90 proof 10 year old, I had to choke that one down, I did not care for it at all, and an old Forrester, which was kind of bland to me. This bottle will not make it to the weekend, I'll be running down to the corner to replace it with (hopefully) two bottles from the same barrel... Damn good stuff.

I was disappointed to not see the gold wax,

I wasn't disapointed in the least. The gold wax was a pain in the posterior. It must have been made from some super secret "Ninja" formula, guaranteed to repel all boarders. I know I am mixing my Pirate and Ninja metaphors, but the ETL gold wax was that tough.

If I remember right Ken Weber even commented on this forum that Elmer was adamant about changing the wax, or some such thing. Either way, if I had to chew my way through the glass to get to it's contents, it would be worth it.

The ones I got were exclusive to High Time Wines,

I don't live too far from High Time Wines...I need to get this! I've gotten Bevmo's and Binny's exclusives and love them both equally and differently. Unfortunately, Bevmo ran out of their exclusive and I am nursing it ever so slowly, while I use the regular Elmer T. Lee as a daily pour.

--Mark

For mine, I dulled three chisels and a jackhammer tip trying to open it. No tears for the wax here.

I had taken to running it under hot water for long periods of time to soften it up, which seemed to help. Still, I'd just as soon open it up and start drinking it than mess around with softening it up before opening it. Too much foreplay, if you ask me! bigeyes.giflol.gif

I remember that post. I think Elmer asked Ken to bring over one of the foil topped bottles not one of the gold wax ones. I haven't had that much trouble with the Elmer T Lee wax though I have had problems with other wax seals. I am really looking forward to the foil top. I will probably be awhile before they reach Japan, though.

Ed

Well, the next morning I woke up and got ready for work, looking at the table in the hotel room next to my laptop was the bottle I started that night I created this thread. Lo and behold, it was 3/4 empty. And I felt fine. No headache, no spinning rooms, nothing. Damn fine stuff. Going to finish it off now, bought 3 more to take home to Cali with me on Friday...

Let me guess, the heat melted the wax, caused the bourbon to expand pushing the cork out and you lost the entire contents? I've had similar nightmares.....

I think the bottle was empty when he put it in the dishwasher. Do you wash your full bottles in the dishwasher?

Dane, your getting a little OC.

stickpoke.gif

No, there was a bit of rooom left in the dishwasher so I stuck the empty bottle in to rinse it out so it wouldn't smell in the recycle bin. It was amazing how those little bits of wax could become so evenly distributed over everything else in the dishwasher.

Craig

It never fails that when you do something a little bit extra that should make something better it backfires and triples your work and things are the same or worse for your efforts. Must be a corollary to Murphy's Law. I can't tell you the number of times I've done this, anticipating adding 20 minutes that turned into an all day disaster.

Ken coffeedrinker.gif

Sorry Ed, I didn't catch the word empty. I was thinking maybe he was thinking the heat would soften the wax enough to get it to open. I gave thought to melting it off myself but didn't want to empart too much heat to the bourbon which could be a VERY bad thing.

If it were full, Ed would suggest using a wax coated "Brisket Plug" grin.gif

Bettye Jo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.