Old Taylor production in the 1970-80's

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Chuck Cowdery in Bourbon, Straight states that the Old Taylor "castle" plant operated until 1972, and even in its last years only intermittently.

Where did National Distillers produce the Old Taylor brand between 1972 and 1987?

Gary

Thanks, Chuck. The litres from the early 80's are really good but now (of course) I am wondering if they add up to those made in the castle plant. Roger, over to you. smile.gif

Gary

Massive butterscotch in the aroma is my main impression of ND Taylor. My '80s bottles don't deliver the same rich flavor as I remember of the '70s. The ND batches bottled in the Beam era seem to have a more fleeting aroma, but still identifiably Taylor.

I haven't sat down and verticalled these before. Looks like a study session may be in order. I'll crack my early '70s bottle when my head next clears up and try to be more descriptive, but in the meantime perhaps someone who sampled this era at the gazebo would care to comment. Bobby became custodian of it. Bobby, what are your thoughts?

Roger

Bobby became custodian of it. Bobby, what are your thoughts?

I'm a little under the weather and just had a little as an expectorant, I can't give an honest appraisal until I feel better, but it seems there isn't as much sweetness as I get from my 86 proof of about 10 years newer. Old Taylor can have some dryness to it and the one I got from you seems especially dry. If I didn't say thanks I guess now would be time, it is much appreciated. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.