Recommendations for a GOOD hip flask?

hokiedave92
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good flask for taking on hikes, ball games, etc. I've tried 2 from the "Things Remembered"-type stores at the mall, and both had seams that sprung leaks within just a month or so.

There's got to be a good seamless variety out there. What say all of you experts?

Thanks,

Dave

They aren't all that "stylish" but there are poly & Lexan flasks out there that are pretty indestructable. I have a couple that are larger than most would consider "hip" size but they work great. I think they make smaller as well.

Lexan flask

If I want a "cooler" looking flask I take a Wild Turkey stainless I bought on ebay. No leaks (so far)

Ken

• 3 months later...

Nalgene makes a great 12 oz. plastic flask. It gives off no plastic taste or odor, is extremely lightweight, and fairly inexpensive. At only $8, it’s replaceable if it gets confiscated at a ballgame. I've had lexan flasks in the past, but this one takes the cake. I've used one on a couple hiking trips, and I love it.

See it here

Or if you're really thirsty.

These are big at 20 oz., but Sigg bottles are pretty much bomb-proof. They are seamless, so no splitting. And they are lined so you don't get any metalic flavors leaching into your bourbon from the bottle.

These oval bottles are brand new, so I don't have one (yet), but I use their classic (round) bottles all the time, and they're great.

I was recently given a flask by a friend of mine who works at an ABC, but I'm not sure of it's quality. It basically looks like the one below except that it's copper colored rather than silver.

50188287[9].jpg

It looks fairly sturdy, but it's a bit on the small side. Plus, I'd rather not drink bourbon out of anything with Cutty Sark on it!

• 3 months later...

I used to sell some Russian Flasks (with various insignia on them) that were made from stainless (Rocket) Steel.About 6 ounces and damn near indestructible.Thickest steel I ever saw on a flask (typical Russian overbuilt - easier to make it thick and durable over fine and thin) Should be able to find them on eBay or the net for $20 or so.

The Lexan ones at Dick's sporting goods are good too - they look like a (large) standard hip flask smoke colored - advantage is all plastic - no metal caps/cups like the cheap white ones.Easier to carry that way.

Another wa is to find a good antique one. The cheap ones didn't last to become antique.You can find them cheap enough if you look around for a whileI use a borelight to check for corrosion inside. Sometimes you need to replace the cork on the top but that is simple enough(army surplus or camping store canteen cork replacements).If someone trys to confiscate it tell them it is a family heirloom.

• 9 months later...

Out of curiosity, is there any danger of the steel coloring the taste of the whiskey?

Stainless Steel is fairly inert especially for the time frame involved.

Also there is a company called Rumrunner that makes a series of plastic pouch flasks that are designed to get in just about anywhere (not that I am advocating breaking any laws) and are tested in almost full vacuum for leaks ( more than in space) and are inert,cheap and in many different sizes.They even have fanny packs for them. www.rumrunnerflasks.com O.K. they aren't stylish but they get the job done.Another advantage is being flexible they do not have the signature outline or look other flasks have and they are collapsible/rollup.

post-9-14489812910088_thumb.jpg

REI sells a titanium flask that I want badly. It's unbelieveably expensive though.

My stainless flask taints the hooch I put in it after a day or so. Not a strong taste, but noticeably. I'm looking for a glass flask as an alternative.

I have a 375 ml glass flask in a leather sleeve that I like. Glass in general would be my preference. That said, there's nothing wrong with stainless steel and I can assure you that the whiskey has been in contact with stainless steel at the distillery, before it ever gets to you.

Probably not the stainless but the cheap rubber cap inside the screwcap.Check it and pull it and clean it if necessary. Either it is leeching gods knows what chemical or the old turned whisky in it (or behind it) could be doing it. You can get some food grade silicone at a good hardware store or go to a pet store and get some aquarium silicone - or of course some cork.Also never add more than you are going to drink in the course of 24 hours preferably less. Good Luck!

I have a 375 ml glass flask in a leather sleeve that I like. Glass in general would be my preference. That said, there's nothing wrong with stainless steel and I can assure you that the whiskey has been in contact with stainless steel at the distillery, before it ever gets to you.

A glass flask sounds quite usefull. I find that I am using my stainless steel flasks less and just traveling with whiskey in emptied 200ml, or 375ml bourbon bottles. I like the idea and absolute lasting quality of glass over steel.

Chuck, may I ask where you aquired such paraphenilia?

I was afraid someone would ask. My brother bought it in Spain. I admired it and he graciously gave it to me, assuming he could replace it easily. He couldn't, but I didn't offer to give it back. He eventually found a similar one, albeit slightly larger.

Spain, huh? Looks like I'll keep on using my vintage Old Taylor 375ml bottle then. Works for me!

-Lear

Recently Jim Beam Black had a promotion where a leather wrapped flask was included for free. I got it, as it gave me an opportunity to try JBB (jury's still out on that one). The flask seems to be a standard SS one with black leather wrap with JBB printed on it. Haven't had it long enough to tell about long-term leakage, but so far so good. I don't know if these promotional sets are still around.

-Kevin

• 4 months later...

I've used the freebie from The Rare Breed Society on several occasions. No leaks. but I really like the one from Classic Luggage. Very nifty! It reminds me of the luggage, gun cases and shooter's bags from Dunn's outfitter's catologue. They used to sell flasks as well (I think). Very classy English style shooting apparel and accouterments.

• 6 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.