Any fans of Irish whiskey?

Ghoste
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

These posts make m want to revisit some of my Irish whiskeys. I think it will be some Redbreast 15......one of my favorite all time Irish....and pot still to boot.

Randy

call me crazy but the taste of Redbreast 12 reminds me of orange lifesavers "creamsavers". I thought this was due to the sherry influence so i went out and bought a bottle of cask strength Macallan (a sherry monster) Ick! I ended up dumping it down the drain.

I am working on an Irish Whiskey feature for March 2007 just in time for St Pattys day. Here is the lineup. Let me know what you think.

Jameson 18 (fantastic)

Bushmills 21 (fantastic)

Michael Collins Single Malt

Clotarf Trinity (3 200 mls, good sampler)

Redbreat 12 (15 not avail in the states)

Knappogue castle 1951 (center piece!)

Connemara 12 (peated)

Midleton Very Rare

Tyrconnel

That is one heck of a line up. I have only had the Jameson and the Redbreast. I do have a newer bottle (92) of the Knappogue Castle that I have yet to open. We do have the Bushmills, Tyrconnel, and Connemara here in WA. State. I was saving up for the Bushmills, but have been sidetracked by the Fall Scotch thread. I am now leaning towards the Aberlour A'Bunadh as my next bottle. The only Scotch I have had is Glenlivet 12 and I really enjoyed it. I don't know what it is about the Aberlour...but it has it's hooks in me...I like the sound of and look of it, hopefully the taste will meet my expectations.

Back to Irish's though, I have had the Tullamore Dew (NAS) and now see a 12 Year-old on the shelf, have you tried that one? We have the Michael Collins blend on the shelf, they tell me it is only a matter of time before they pick up the Single Malt, which I look forward to trying as well. I know I really want the Bushmills 21, it's $91.95 so the moment will have to be right for me to get that one.

Looks like your buddies are going to have a sweet St. Pattys celebration!

:toast:

I am working on an Irish Whiskey feature for March 2007 just in time for St Pattys day. Here is the lineup. Let me know what you think.

Jameson 18 (fantastic)

Bushmills 21 (fantastic)

Connemara 12 (peated)

Midleton Very Rare

Tyrconnel

That looks like a good lineup to me. I don't know if you have access to them, but Cadenhead do a 13 yo and 14 yo peated Cooley that is much better than the distillery bottling of Connemara. Also, Cooley are producing a 12 yr old Tyrconnel now. The Celtic Whiskey Shop have the Redbreast 15 and would post to America, I believe. You also wouldn't have to pay the Irish duty.

I also often see Jameson 15 for sale on ebay, and it's well worth trying. It is getting quite rare.

Back to Irish's though, I have had the Tullamore Dew (NAS) and now see a 12 Year-old on the shelf, have you tried that one? We have the Michael Collins blend on the shelf, they tell me it is only a matter of time before they pick up the Single Malt, which I look forward to trying as well. I know I really want the Bushmills 21, it's $91.95 so the moment will have to be right for me to get that one.

Looks like your buddies are going to have a sweet St. Pattys celebration!

:toast:

I personally think the Tullamore is just ok, but the 12 yr old is very nice. Kind of more like the Jameson 12.

The Jameson 15 was on my list as well as RB 15 and since they are tougher to find I had to exclude them. Although Jameson 18 is a great whiskey and a suitable replacement. I'd love to get a RB15 in and then I can speak to the RB12 as readily available in the US. Is 89.99 on the Celtic Whiskey Shop $150 USD? That doesnt seem right when RB12 is like $40 in the US.

Jameson 18 (fantastic)

Bushmills 21 (fantastic)

Connemara 12 (peated)

Midleton Very Rare

Tyrconnel

I miss Green Spot, but I guess that one is extremely difficult to find in the US. Great whiskey, though.

The 15 yo Redbreast is, in my opinion, not as good as the 12yo. A bit too raw for me. The Jameson Millenium would be a better choice but is becoming increasingly difficult to locate, nowadays.

The Jameson 15 was on my list as well as RB 15 and since they are tougher to find I had to exclude them. Although Jameson 18 is a great whiskey and a suitable replacement. I'd love to get a RB15 in and then I can speak to the RB12 as readily available in the US. Is 89.99 on the Celtic Whiskey Shop $150 USD? That doesnt seem right when RB12 is like $40 in the US.

Yeah, it's because it's a limited edition and it's 46% abv, and the duty is very high in Ireland. You can pick it up in Germany for about 52 euro. 90 euro is about $115 to $120.

Personally, I think the Redbreast 15 is brilliant, although maybe it has a little too much sherry character. That's spliting hairs, though.

re-reading my post, I realize that the verdict on Redbreast 15yo came out as more harsh than intended.

It is a very good whiskey but I don´t think that it reaches the same heights as the 12yo.

I was much more impressed by the Jameson Millenium 15yo, which in practicality, should be the same kind of whiskey, albeit with lower proof. Grab it if you can find it for a reasonable price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.