Any fans of Irish whiskey?

Ghoste
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I stumbled across a bottle of Jameson's 12 year old last night at the local liquor store. I'm looking forward to trying it.

I don't think you'll be disapointed. Easy pour to appretiate. BTW, if you live in Ontario Canada, Jameson 12, Redbrest, and Black Bush are priced in the same ball park ($35-40) and are similar. The Redbrest is a straight pot-still whisky although I can barely taste it under all the sherry casking. Jameson has some pot-still, and Black Bush is a blend (without pot still I believe - not much anyway). All 3 are very sherried drams.

deadhorse.gif

Cheers

I am in Ontario and it just so happens I have some B=black Bush, Redbrest and now the Jameson's 12 all together so I'll have to do a proper comparison.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Well I have to say that I love my bourbon but I love that Irish too. I have tried the jameson 1780 Awesome stuff. Then I tried the Blackbush again great stuff. I then tried Bushmilss 3 wood, very good you do get some of the bourbon flavor in there, additionally you can taste some of the wood but not badly. Overall great stuff again.

I have purchased since that point, but not tried, Jameson 18 yr, Midleton Very Rare. I purchased the jameson 15 yr but I think I will save that for a very special occasion like, something special.

I will try these others when I get a chance to buy a second bottle so I will always have one in storage.

If anyone is in the KCMO area let me know and we can try it out sometime.

Regards,

George

Hi Gluce:

I don't know how much you paid for the Jameson 15, but it's not produced anymore. Collecters have gotten into the market, and bottles go for upwards of 150 Euro I've heard ($200+ US).

If you paid a decent price for it, you may want to lay away a few more bottles of the stuff, as there's nothing else like it. Heaviest pure pot still whisky I've ever had!!

I have a bottle of Redbreast that's waiting to be opened - but I need to finish off some of my opened stuff first. I'm getting there, though!

Jameson 15 is one of my favorate pure pot still Irish whiskeys. It took me about a bottle to realize I prefer it by a decent margin to Redbreast and Greenspot (both of which I love). J15 tastes older than 15yo to me. The rich wood influence works exceptionally well IMHO against the extra heavy PPS whiskey.

I would be curious to hear how much it cost and if there is more?

Thanks,

John

PS Doug found an old Jameson 15 from produced at the Bow Street distillery! A very different and I expect wonderful animal from my experience with outher Bow street pure pot still whiskeys.

The new Redbreast 15 is as good a whiskey as has been produced in recent years. It is more sherried than the Jameson 15 and the pot still is just not quite as heavy. It would be a shame if this is a limited edition.

It is more sherried than the Jameson 15 and the pot still is just not quite as heavy.

Unfortunately, that doesn´t sound like it will be up my street. I will, of course, buy it anyway. There are so few genuine pot still whiskeys around so you can´t afford to pass any one of them.

That is 103. each but I only found 2, 1 in a box and the other outside the box. This guy (Dennis) also has a lot of the van winkle 15 not the pappy 15. This is the website, http://www.oxfordwineroom.com/wineonline.asp.

When you get there click on Joyal Liquors in Rhode Island, and punch in either Bourbon or Irish etc.

He ship wherever, I live in Kansas City.

Later,

George

Thanks for the info, Gluce.

If anyone comes across the Knappogue Castle 1990, I'd love to get some. I'll pay a good price. It's specifically the 1990 I'm after.

Frodo,

I just found 2 more bottles I am scooping up in the next week. $103 US.

George

Lucky dog. The find of a century I say!!!!

I know they are pricey, but I am curious about them.

Knappogue Castle Whiskey 1951

Midleton Very Rare

I have recently cracked open a bottle of the Midleton 2004. It was quite good. It is aged in used American bourbon barrels. There really is no age statement but I believe somewhere I heard it was 12 or more years.

It is an excellent smooth whiskey. Irish whiskey does not seem to have the bite that American whiskey has. I love my bourbon though, it is distinctive and quite good.

I really like the Irish too. Redbreast is an excellent pure pot still Irish. Many of the others are blends but are excellent.

Getting back to the midleton, a great choice, expensive but you only share it with your friends who appreciate what you are drinking. What is great about this whiskey is it is quite Irish but has been married with American bourbon barrels. The two are a great marriage for sure.

Roughly you can find it for about 105.00 but buy a couple of bottles and make the shipping worth the trip.

Later,

George

I have a Knappogue '51, but have not tried it. However, I have tried the Cadenhead Tullamore, which is from the same era and distillery but aged a few more years. It's superb (the 42 yr old). You probably know this already, but it's a pure pot still aged for 36 years. It's in a different category and class alltogether to the other Knappogues. There are also a few Knappogues from '48 knocking about, but these were privately bottled.

The Midleton Very Rare usually contains whiskey from 12 up to about 26 years. The 2004 is one of the best vintages I've tried.

Good Irish whisky is really good but so pricey. I wish they'd bring the top-end prices down a notch. Until them, it's not worth it for me!!! I'll just go for Redbrest 12.

Connemara is my personal favorite in Irish whiskey - I am a big peat fan, so this is a treat. Their 12 yr old is very nice.

The thing is that Conemarra is rather close to scotch. I like it myself, and would pay LCBO prices for it, but if you want a more...prototypical Irish whisky, I wouldn't think this would be it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this being St. Patrick's day, I began with a pour of Redbreast 12yo, then some Power's Gold Label, and then another Redbreast. Both are mighty good pours - but the Power's has a much better bang-for-the-buck score, even though the Redbreast has the edge in overall quality.

Just to go to something different, I'm finishing up tonight with some George Dickel #12 - it's better than I was expecting.

I'm ending up my evening on Mar 17 with some Rebrest 12 in honor of St. Patrick's day, but I've already had 2-4 Bourbon's so I'm not sure I can appreciate the subtlety of Irish whiskey at this hour. Funny how what the order of what you drink makes a difference. This is one of my favorite and best-value Irish Whiskeys, but it tastes blah at this hour of the night after going through some of my best bourbons.

Well, this being St. Patrick's day, I began with a pour of Redbreast 12yo, then some Power's Gold Label, and then another Redbreast. Both are mighty good pours - but the Power's has a much better bang-for-the-buck score, even though the Redbreast has the edge in overall quality.

Just to go to something different, I'm finishing up tonight with some George Dickel #12 - it's better than I was expecting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.