"Vintage Bourbon"

jburlowski
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went to the liquor store today. Noticed that they have a new (to my eyes at least) bourbon in the "premium" section. It is labeled "Vintage Bourbon" and comes in various age expressions(if memory serves correct 17, 21, and 25).

Couldn't find this using the search function... is this something new? Worth buying?

If so it's from Ky Bourbon Distillers, ie Evan Kulsveen. Though their website lists it as 1976, 1980, 1983 but lists nothing about the bottling date, and therefor its age.

Hope this helps

Where are you? I've never seen it listed in the States, only on European and Japanese sites. I'm kinda jealous. lol.gif

Northern Kentucky. Do you know of anyone who's tried this or of any posted reviews? I'm tempted to try it but have been burned in the past with some of these high-priced, "obscure" bottlings.

As Timothy notes, I've always assumed these are export-only, since the only references I've found have been overseas sites (run a Google search for "Vintage Bourbon 1976", for example).

Here, a poster lists the 1976 as among his favorite 25yos (1976-2001), making it old Willets Distillery (DSP-78) bourbon:

See 6th post in thread

Thus, the 'vintage' reference seems to be literal -- the label notes the year of the whiskey's make.

Well, Drew said he was bottling some old whiskey(including some Willet) for the U.S. market. I did get to taste all three in N.Y at the Whiskeyfest and all were very good.

I also ran into these about a week ago and bought the 17 yr and a 21yr here in Louisville Brownsboro Rd and I-264 next to a very good German resturant. Upon getting them home I decided to crack open the 17yr and was very pleased with it. It kind of reminded me of a refined Rare Breed very tasty. This last Friday I decided to go back and get all three (17, 21 and 23 yr) offerings. My boss, who got me hooked on bourbon, said he had never seen them for sale except for places like Whisky Exchange. During lunch hour I happened to meet him at the store buying all three of the bottlings. Too funny laugh.gif

The 17 is so good I went to the wesite and emailed for more information and to see if I could wrangle a tour. However no response. frown.gif

Chuck/Mick

The Whisky Exchange list them for about the price of Pappy 15yo and Noah's Mill, but it's in pounds and I 've no idea the exchange rate. banghead.gif

Okay:

-1983=$55.44

-1980=$62.75

-1976=$67.14

of course these are prices for Euro standard 700ml bottles without shipping etc. All are listed as 86 proof.

I own a bottle of the Vintage Bourbon 1976 (or rather the little that´s left of it). Being no big fan of over-aged whisk(e)y, I was persuaded by the rave review in Jim Murray´s Whiskey Bible 2004 to give it a chance. According to him, it was a Bourbon that had defied all the known rules when it came to preserving all the vital characteristics needed for enjoyment.

He was right to a certain degree. The whiskey displays a tangy fruitiness (on a bed of cotton candy) that simply is amazingly lively for its age (25 yo, according to the back label). However, the nose is quite weak and the finish almost non-existent which leaves me in two minds over the whole affair.

post-6-14489812118458_thumb.jpg

I picked up a bottle of the 17yo at Liquor Barn last night for $38.99. It has an interesting floral nose with hints of black tea and fruit. The palate is slightly spicy and medium-dry with a long finish. A decent drink that I'll be studying over the next week or so. LB also had the 21yo for $58.

I've had the 1976 - it's a very good bourbon but too expensive IMO. The closest, in terms of flavour profile, standard bottling is probably MM red seal. The VB 1976, is smoother and fruitier, however.

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to revive this thread after the store for which I work began to stock these last week. We have the 21 and 23 year old bottlings marketed against the Pappy 15 and 20. I had the pleasure of tasting the 21 year old last week. It's really quite nice for the price point of $50. The nose has this unique and pronounced butterscotch candy thing happening for it. I didn't find the finish and complexity as impressive as a Pappy Van Winkle, but then again, neither is the price. I definitely want a bottle for my personal shelf.

I'll revisit it, but the 23 year old version is entirely overdone, judging by my first impressions. The wood and smoke is way overpowering, leading to a hot and unpleasant finish.

I love that smoky, sooty, woody taste of the Vintage 23. Reminds me of Old St. Nick.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.