Black Maple Hill Rye, 18 yrs. old

BobA
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Any comments on this? I looked at what few old posts I could find, and it sounds as though this is not Van Winkle whiskey (I'll check the city o when I get back to that store). Which is too bad, as I have never had any VW rye, despite looking a lot, and might be willing to spring for the $90 or so it would cost me on that basis alone. But even as a generous gift to myself in the holiday spirit(s), that's getting a bit extreme for me. I haven't spent much more than $50 on anything, which is what my Saz cost me. Then again, that's the only bottle of Saz I've seen, and if I could find another, I might spend $90 just for the priviledge of being able to drink Saz without thinking that I had to hoard every drop.

Anyway, comments? Descriptions? I know value is individual, but is the BMH that valuable to you?

Thanks.

Bob

Further research indicates some possibility that this is the same stuff bottled as Classic Cask 21 and Michter's 10 year old. Anyone who has tried two of these three want to say "no way" or "could be?"

Bob

Wan't trying to be cryptic. A while back Drew Kulsveen said about the Michter's 10 . . .

well, my attempt to quote from Sept. 2004 (this board) didn't work (I'll get this computer stuff down one day), but he said it was from '83-'84, and they didn't want to go to the (apparently considerable) trouble of relabeling.

And I think it was on another board that I saw a taster saying he thought the CC and BHM were the same, although on a small sample. And, again elsewhere, Chuck noted that there can't be that much old rye around. Can't exactly recall where I got the idea someone thought Michter's was the same as CC, but as the three seem to be Kulsveen products . . .

They all are Kulsveen products. But you can't be sure from whom he acquired the whiskey. The ryes were most likely distilled in different years.

I have a CC 22yr old that was distilled in 1981, and a 15yr CC distilled in 1986. The 10yr Michters was '83, '84.

The 18 yr BMH was most likely an 18yr rye as it was a new label (JVW version was a 15yr) probably distilled in'85, '86.

The 21yr CC was on the market a year or so before the 22yr CC. They may be the same rye.

...I have a CC 22yr old that was distilled in 1981, and a 15yr CC distilled in 1986....The 21yr CC was on the market a year or so before the 22yr CC. They may be the same rye.

And, I believe the 21yo was a single-barrel issue, while the 22yo is batched. The CC 15yo I have is from 1984, so there are at least two versions at that age.

Bob,

I see you're from Decatur, GA. I visit Atlanta every year or so as my in-laws live there. Last time I was there I saw some Van Winkle rye, as well as Classic Cask rye, at a liquor store out on Ponce de Leon...I think the place was called Green's. Might be worth checking out to see if they still have any. I picked up a bottle of the 15 yo Classic Cask rye when I was there last, and found it fairly disappointing compared to Van Winkle and Sazerac ryes.

I've never had the 18 year old BMH rye, but I was fortunate to have the BMH 15 year rye (Van Winkle)...it was great, as are all the Van Winkle ryes I've had.

OK, it seems that they are not the same, although all clearly old.

How about this: if you could buy the BMH 18 at $85, or the Michter's 10 at $55, what would you do?

Bob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.