'05 Sazerac

CrispyCritter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While I still haven't completely gotten over this bug, I'm finally feeling well enough to actually enjoy having a nip or two... so, I opened up my Sazerac.

This is seriously good rye! The nose is very fruity, and it has a great spicy hit to it, plus a finish that lasts a looooong time. There's a fair bit of wood to it, but not overpowering - it's one very well-balanced dram. yum.gif Each sip seems to bring out something different.

If the supply is as tight as I think it is, I'm going to have to ration this bottle! (famous last words)

Fortunately, there is the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, and if I'm in the mood for something a little less "challenging," Rittenhouse is on hand here, too...

I've fallen in love with Rye Whiskey. I think the 05' Sazerac is fantastic but is there anything cheaper yet somewhat close in taste? WT Rye is good. I doubt the new Sazerac will be in California so what else is there? Does Van Winkle still do a rye?

Van Winkle Rye is still around, definitely - a "G" series has recently been released. I have one of them, and it's a very, very good alternative if you can't find any Saz, and a very good addition to your cabinet if you do.

On a budget, Rittenhouse BIB is also quite good, though nowhere near as complex as the Van Winkle or the Sazerac.

Don't know what's available to you, but I doubt that if VW is, it will much (or any) cheaper than the Saz. A few other specialty bottlings of indeterminite distillation are out there in the same price range; you may like one better, but obviously not at less $. WT is usually spoken of as the best value - except by those for whom Rittenhouse BIB is available (not me). Not all that much rye out there, and at the price, you should try Old Overholt and Jim Beam rye; you might hit on your favorite. For a few dollars more than WT, the Michter's 4 yr. is worth a try too; I wasn't overly impressed at first, but later samplings have revealed more layers.

Bob

P.S. Looks like Saz 6yr. is going out on a very limited release; you might be lucky enough to see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone might have a bottle(or two) to spare of this wonderful whiskey. My search though the Louisville area has proven fruitless and I would be very sad to miss this cry.gif

Update:

After 2 weeks of my hometown giving me the cold shoulder, I decided to go down and do a little rummaging though Lexington. She embraced me with open arms and delivered to my hands, in the first liquor store I walked into, 2 bottles of 05 Saz. After I recovered and stopped jumping up and down in the aisles, I checked out and went on to a few more stores. That's when Lexington showed me what a great lady she could be and offered me up an entire case of ER 101 liters, though I had to decline on taking the entire case, I did bring home 2 of them with me. bowdown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

It could be had for $46.99 at beverages and more, but it seems to be disappearing quite rapidly; probably even faster after I post this, but just trying to help out. I am planning to pick up the entire antique collection next week, if I can still find it that is...

• 1 month later...

I am enjoying a pour of this now and it is delicious. Damn, didn't know rye could be so good.

I opened my first bottle of '05 Saz last night. Wow! The best of any of the years I have tried.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.