Bourbon balls (didn't know Bourbon had .......:)

kbuzbee
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, made this years Bourbon Balls today. They are so easy.

5 cups crushed nilla wafers

4 T spoons cocoa

2 cups powdered sugar

2 cups chopped pecans

1 cup Bookers (yum!)

Sift the sugar with the cocoa, add the Bourbon, stir in the pecans and the nilla wafers. Form into balls. Roll in powdered sugar and put in a sealable plastic (I used Gladware). In a few days they are gonna be awsome!

Ken

I was told by someone who knows about such things that the secret to great bourbon balls is to soak your nuts in bourbon, at room temperature, for several days.

That's what I do, usually for a week. No additional bourbon is needed. My recipe is a bit different though, it contains only bourbon, nuts, powdered sugar and chocolate.

I got my recipe from Bobby several years ago yum.gif Last week I made a batch using the new WLW. They were good, but lacked the spicy kick that Stagg imparts.

Don't know that I want to put a cup of Stagg, or Bookers, into this. If it's spicy kick that's needed, anyone try OGD BIB or 114?

Bob

For this recipe I don't use a cup. I put the nuts in a bowl and add just enough bourbon to cover. I would say for a typical recipe I use around 1/2 cup or so.

I was told by someone who knows about such things that the secret to great bourbon balls is to soak your nuts in bourbon, at room temperature, for several days.

I'll have to try that. This was the recipe my mother always used to make so it is the one I "inherited".

Ken

Well, here is where my "expertise" tends to show its limits since I have never made the confection althought I do like to sample the same. smile.gif

I don't doubt that a soft, balanced bourbon blend might make for a very good bourbon ball recipe.

However on the basis of trying Bobby and Amelia's bourbon balls made with Geo. Stagg I don't think my efforts could come close.

Bourbon I think, to come through the chocolate and other tastes in the confection, needs to be potent and maybe monochrome in taste - that's where the Stagg comes in!

Gary

Not good enough! And we need also your recommendations for rum balls, and brandy balls, and all other confection, else you may not be the VatMaster!

Well, here is where my "expertise" tends to show its limits since I have never made the confection althought I do like to sample the same. smile.gif

I don't doubt that a soft, balanced bourbon blend might make for a very good bourbon ball recipe.

However on the basis of trying Bobby and Amelia's bourbon balls made with Geo. Stagg I don't think my efforts could come close.

Bourbon I think, to come through the chocolate and other tastes in the confection, needs to be potent and maybe monochrome in taste - that's where the Stagg comes in!

Gary

Gary - surely agree with you on the point of potentcy. These made with Bookers are the best I've ever made. But I don't find Booker's to be monochrome so I might have to disagree there. It was close for me between Booker's and Stagg but as Booker's is way more avaiable here I went that direction. Booker's enhances the chocolate rather than having to come through it. I think I need to go have another one smile.gif

Ken

Good points, Ken and I could have easily suggested Booker's instead of Stagg. By monochrome I really meant (in this context) the big alcohol hit. That came through (and more of course) in Bobby's version of the dish and gave it a special taste or effect, quite memorable anyway!

Gary

Locks like an interesting recipe. I am not sure thou. What kind of cocky is nilla wafers? And the masseurs. How much is a cup and a teaspoon in millilitres?

Leif

Locks like an interesting recipe. I am not sure thou. What kind of cocky is nilla wafers? And the masseurs. How much is a cup and a teaspoon in millilitres?

Leif

1 US cup = 236.588238 ml

1 US teaspoon = 4.92892161 ml

At least according to Google.

Ken

Well, made this years Bourbon Balls today. They are so easy.

5 cups crushed nilla wafers

4 T spoons cocoa

2 cups powdered sugar

2 cups chopped pecans

1 cup Bookers (yum!)

Is that 5 cups nilla wafers, crushed, or 5 cups of nilla wafer crumbs? For me, 12 oz. of nilla wafers yielded 3 cups of crumbs. Sound right?

Thanks for posting this Ken. I tried these over Christmas and they were GREAT! I made 2 small changes to the recipe, though.

1. I split it to use 2 different bourbons (EW 1783 and ER 10yo SB) to see if I noticed a difference (I did).

2. I soaked the nuts for 24 hours before making the balls (mentioned in another post).

There was a noticable difference betwen the 2 bourbons. They were both good, but I like the ER SB balls better. Everyone else I passed them out to liked them, too.

Jay

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.