Bourbon balls (didn't know Bourbon had .......:)

kbuzbee
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Glad you enjoyed them. Made with the Booker's only the Bourbonians on my Christmas list really enjoyed these but I made plenty of other things for the rest.

Pity to have to wait a whole 'nother year to make these again.

I think I'll make some ETL baked beans today.... Hmmmm. Oh Yeah!

Ken

Well, I've gone riffing. Hazelnuts were on sale at the supermarket, so I've got two batches of them soaking in Old Potrero "Single Malt Whiskey" 124.2pf and Stagg 131.9pf. I'm going to give them an extra-long soak and then make them up, so I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Perhaps we should plump for a new barrel, then fill it with whiskey AND nuts, then let it go for awhile.... rolleyes.gif

I made two different batches for a News Years party that

went over well.

First batch:

1 cup vanilla wafers crushed

1 cup walnuts crushed

1 cup white powdered sugar

2 tblsp unsweetened cocoa powder

1 1/2 tblsp light corn syrup

1/4 cup ORVW 10yr squat 107 proof

Mix well, spoon out balls and roll in powdered sugar....

Second batch:

1 cup graham crackers crushed

1 cup walnuts crushed

1 cup white powdered sugar

2 tblsp unsweetened cocoa powder

1 1/2 tblsp light corn syrup

1/4 cup ORVW 15yo 107 proof

Mix well, spoon out into balls and roll in powdered sugar...

place balls in a air tight container for 12 hours to let flavors combine and enjoy....

DO NOT eat and drive......

My wife came up with a new recipe for bourbon balls after she decided she didn't like the version she made last year at the holidays. She allowed me to post this at the WhiskyCast web site, and I'll re-post it here for your pleasure...

Mark

Bourbon Balls

"My recommendation is to use the darkest chocolate you can find for this recipe, and I like the Ghirardelli Baking Chips with 60% Bittersweet Cocoa.

1 cup pecans, finely chopped

¼ cup of bourbon

½ cup of butter

1 pound confectioners sugar

1 cup of dark chocolate chips

Sift the confectioners sugar and cream together with the butter, then add the bourbon and pecans. Roll into 1 inch balls, place on a cookie sheet and cover with moist paper towels. Refrigerate at least two hours. Melt the chocolate chips. Using a skewer, dip the chilled balls into chocolate and place on cookie sheet to harden."

Listen to WhiskyCast at www.whiskycast.com or subscribe to the podcast at www.whiskycast.libsyn.com/rss

Looks like another great recipe to try, but how much cream? Cheers, Ed V.

I think that there is no cream. Cream here is a verb. The recipe says

Sift the confectioners sugar and cream together with the butter

Which means that you are to cream together the sugar and butter. You would typically do this with an electric beater.

Jeff

I didn't have a problem with knowing that meaning of cream, I was just expecting another tasty ingredient in what was already shaping up to be a wonderful treat! Got to give it a try. Maybe "Bam!" it, a la Emeril, too! Thanks for the dictionary URL, though!

I'd like to try these, they sound good! Just one question, "one cup of graham crackers crushed" would mean measuring the crackers and then crushing them. Is this correct, or is it actually one cup of crushed graham crackers (measured after having been crushed)? Need that info and then it's off to the kitchen! Thanks,Tom V

I'd like to try these, they sound good! Just one question, "one cup of graham crackers crushed" would mean measuring the crackers and then crushing them. Is this correct, or is it actually one cup of crushed graham crackers (measured after having been crushed)? Need that info and then it's off to the kitchen! Thanks,Tom V

Measure after crushing

• 2 weeks later...

Yes...measure them after crushing. Also, "cream" is a term some cooks use to describe mixing a solid with a semi-solid (the butter).

I asked...I've learned not to try and interpret what my wife says when she's talking about cooking. I just copied and pasted her description of the recipe into the posting...

Mark

• 1 month later...

So how do these sorts of recipes compare to the bourbon balls made by candymakers such as Rebecca Ruth? Are they at all similar or are these just two different confections both called bourbon balls?

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rebeccaruth/index.html

I am absolutely addicted to the standard Rebecca Ruth bourbon balls, which after extensive tasting, I have determined are better than any other bourbon ball currently on the market, including their own Buffalo Trace variety.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.