Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

woohoo.gifbis.giftoast.gif

It's here, it's here! First, what appears to be a bit of good news: the 5 bottles I snagged today at the liquor store where I work are unnumbered -- meaning that the 1,000 numbered bottles are not the whole production run as I, at least, previously understood. So perhaps this won't be quite as hard a 'get' as originally regarded.

What a lovely, old-style bottle! Buffalo Trace has shown yet again that taste is not just a gustatory function, but an aesthetic one, too. Kudos.

First impressions (a more complete 'Tasting' note sometime soon): Thumbs up! To me, at least, this is much more complex than the 18yo Saz (which is not a real favorite of mine). The nose and palate are subtle and softly presented, which a spice forefront enveloping the rye-trademark garden-floral notes.

The golden-straw color is reminiscent of the similarly-aged Bernheim wheat whiskey.

If you see it, buy it!

post-367-14489812163961_thumb.jpg

woohoo.gifwoohoo.gifwoohoo.gif

Wow, that is a gorgous bottle.

Good news there. I'm glad that there is going to be more than just the 1,000 bottles to start off.

I can't wait.

Could I bother you for a UPC code, pretty please? I want to get my local on top of this!

(0) 88004 13994 (0)

Leading and trailing zeroes are check-sums.

Thanks for the speedy reply! I hope I'll be able to get this locally - not yet appearing on Binny's and Sam's websites, or on HiTimeWine, Mission, BeverageWarehouse...

How much does it go for a bottle? does it say how old it is?

No age statement, 90 proof. It was between $25-$26 in our store -- and you can always figure TN to be about 10% higher than other places (thank the monopolistic distributor -- it goes into his pockets hot.gif), even before the additional 9.25% sales tax. hot.gifhot.gif

The back 'label' is almost all barcode, company info, and government warning. The only descriptive text on the entire bottles states: "This rye whiskey is the perfect choice to make the Sazerac Cocktail, America's First Cocktail."

Still no sign of this in Lexington. I checked with the new LB this evening and Morgan told me they don't expect to receive any of it, though he said it was a remote possibility. I'll check with Thorughbred Liquors tomorrow.

Nope, not yet. Went though 2 LB in Lex plus a couple smaller stores today. And hit 1 LB in Lou on my way out of town this morning and hit another small store when I got back. Still nothing and only 1 had even heard of it yet.

Timothy,

Did you check the Thoroughbred shop today? I'll save myself a trip if you did frown.gif

You lucky dog! Anyone who sees it in California or on Binny's please let me know.

I was in Binnys over the weekend and they didn't have it. However, I just received an email from Binnys and they are expecting it to be in the stores by Wed.

yum.gif

Chuck

After an exchange of messages last week with Ken Weber, here's some more info:

The original numbered 1,000 bottles were/will be presented as VIP tokens. About 300 of them went to Buffalo Trace/Sazerac employees. Original production was about 600 6-bottle cases (3,600 bottles). I didn't follow up to ask if that includes the original 1,000.

Looks like, in any case, you shouldn't wait too long to pull the trigger, or else you'll be waiting till the next bottling.

I spotted 4 or 5 of these today at a local store that was once an old haunt of mine but one I have not visited in years. One of the guys there tried to interest me in a bottle - but being totally ignorant about rye, I bypassed it and instead picked up the last EWSB he had in stock. The Sazerac seemed reasonably priced at $25.99. After reading so much good press here, maybe I best go back over there and get a couple of bottles tomorrow. I have not seen this as of yet in the other 4 or 5 stores I frequent. Is it really true that only around 1000 have been produced? I've been into bourbon for years but have never tried any rye. What have I missed? I have had my share of "rye recipe" bourbons - but not straight rye. Probably a dumb question: how does rye taste/mix in comparison to some of the premium bourbons? Also, how does the Sazerac rye compare to other ryes out there? From reading here, it sounds like this Sazerac would be the one to take the plunge with as a rye virgin. Any other recommendations? confused.gif Your excellent insight and advice are much appreciated!!! smile.gif

First, yes, you should get a bottle of the new Saz if it's there.

Second, almost any rye you'll find is at least very good. The bottom shelfer's, Old Overholt and such are wonderful. The mid shelfers like Wild Turkey 101 Rye are fantastic. In fact, that one is my personal favorite Rye. The top shelfers like the Saz 18 and maybe the new Saz(?) bring more sophistication with their age, more barrel, smoother.

Third, the thing I find in rye is spice. Call it anise, call it mint. In Tim's review of the new Saz he said "muothwash fresh" That's valid. It isn't quite as sweet as bourbon but it is a great spirit.

Try a couple. They're great. You'll enjoy the variety (at least I do!)

Ken

Maybe I missed it somewhere....but, has anyone found out yet on the age of the new Sazerac? Somewhere - and it may have been at my local store where I found a few bottles, somebody I thought told me it was 6 yrs old. Anybody know?

I stopped in at the nearest Binny's today (well, yesterday, actually), and sure enough, the new Saz Jr. was up on the shelf! woohoo.gif Needless to say, a bottle of it followed me home, along with a Compass Box Eleuthera (one of my favorites in the Compass Box line).

I love that old-old-school bottle!

Tomorrow night (technically, tonight) I think I'm going to try a head-to-head of Saz Jr. and Sr. to see how they compare...

Tomorrow night (technically, tonight) I think I'm going to try a head-to-head of Saz Jr. and Sr. to see how they compare...

I'll be interested to hear how that comes out. I think I heard our friend Tim say he prefered the younger expression.

Ken

Well, I've had a pour of the 6yo, and I'm now in the midst of a glass of the 18. There's a definite family resemblance, but the 18yo shows its extra aging; the 6yo has a rough edge to it that has been polished out in the 18yo version.

I'll have to try it again after the new 6yo bottle has been open for a couple of weeks - my current 18yo bottle has a few weeks on it (though mostly full).

In any case, it is still quite a worthy whiskey, and I'll be getting another bottle of the 6yo for reserve, just as I did with the 18yo.

Although I usually don't try to "score" drinks anymore, I'd give the Saz 18 five stars out of five, and the Jr. would get four-and-a-half.

Next time I get in the mood to mix up some Sazerac cocktails, I'll have to try one of each again. The younger version might actually work better in a cocktail than its older brother, but we'll see.

The 1,000 numbered bottles is included in the 3600 bottles. By the way, we were aiming for a 6 year old whiskey and then introduce it in New Orleans. With Katerina blowing through, we postponed bottling and the whiskey actually gained an additional year of age because of the delay.

Ken

• 1 month later...

I know that people have been looking for this in the Louisville and Lexington areas. It hit the shelves in Louisville yesterday. Picked up several bottles for consumption as well as the bunker.

it is amazing how early it was available in other markets and not in same state it was distilled and aged.

JD

I really like the new Saz bottle!!! Does anyone have any of the numbered ones ?? If so post a pic for us to see. Cant wait to see if I can get one in Lexington.

J.

Well, I don't have one, but I grabbed a pic off of Ebay. It was a completed listing and someone actually paid $160 for it. For that price I could have 8 bottles that I have no guilt about opening.

post-1106-14489812215926_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.