Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I really like the new Saz bottle!!! Does anyone have any of the numbered ones ?? If so post a pic for us to see. Cant wait to see if I can get one in Lexington.

J.

As noted by Ken Weber above, the numbered bottles will not be available at retail. The were presented to Sazerac/Buffalo Trace employees and other so-called VIPs to the company. There probably are -- as the eBay listing manifests -- some available privately at a premium.

HiTime Wine Cellar had some of this in recently they tell me, HAD being the key phrase here, as in got it and were out of it a few days later! Looks like I missed my shot which is too bad because I think I am starting to like the Ryes more and more, every sip of WT Rye I have tastes better to me...

I think I am starting to like the Ryes more and more, every sip of WT Rye I have tastes better to me...

Yeah, that's great stuff isn't it?? I'll take WT Rye over any other the other, more rare, higher end Ryes I've tried (though there are several that are still on my gotta get'em list)

Ken

Indeed, the WT rye is one fine pour. It's going to be another of my "always have a bottle on hand" whiskeys - especially since it's easy to find and reasonably priced.

I'll second Virus_Of_Life about ryes in general - all of them that I've tried have been very fine drinks.

Funny thing is, tonight I had a Rittenhouse BIB and then a VWFRR, and then I poured some Rare Breed - and it's tasting like a (very good) rye! Carryover?

Funny thing is, tonight I had a Rittenhouse BIB and then a VWFRR, and then I poured some Rare Breed - and it's tasting like a (very good) rye! Carryover?

Well, I taste a lot of Rye in all the WT products so you may have a combination of carry over and the Rye overtones of the RB itself.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the 18 yr old expression - any more comparisons between the two? I haven't found the newer style yet.

• 8 months later...

I managed to find a Saz Jr. in my local BevMo today. I picked it up for $27.99. It's still out there if you cn find it. :grin:

It is one of my most favorite whiskeys I have ever tasted and am ordering a case from Binnys this weekend and will probably order another in a month if they still have it. You got lucky Jeremy, I have not seen any in BevMo or anywhere else around here for that matter in quite some time!

You're timing is good Christian. Some changes coming about for Saz Jr. Probably in the next 4 to 5 weeks or so...at that location and else where.

You're timing is good Christian. Some changes coming about for Saz Jr. Probably in the next 4 to 5 weeks or so...at that location and else where.

Your timing is better than good Christian......here is part of an email I received from Brett @ Binnys just a couple of days ago...

"In the next couple of weeks, I will have my own single cask selection of the baby Saz, which I'm really excited about, as the stuff I sampled through was universally outstanding."

So there you have it, straight from the man!!

Scott

My Dad is going to Louisiana for Thanksgiving; will he be able to find Sazerac in most places? I am going to ask him to pick up a couple bottles for me if he can find them.

More bottle of the Saz Jr. hit shelves this week along with the 18 Y/O from the Antique Collection. I picked up a couple bottles from Liquor Barn in Lexington a couple days ago. The guy I talked to said they got 1 case of it.

Well, I will ask him to keep an eye out for it. I am wondering if anyone is aware of Bourbons he might look out for that I can't get here in WA. Ones I am interested in trying are AAA, Michtners, or William Larue Weller...

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the liquor store about 20 minutes from after hearing they had a great selection.. Was very impressed indeed. After reading all the posts I figured the Saz was hard to come by. They had approx. 14 bottles just sitting there marked $26.99. Bought one just to see what all the hype was about. Had I think 6 bottles of the Saz 18 on the shelf also.

Hope this is as good as I anticipate.

They also had quite a few of the other offerings that I previously believed to be scarce after reading posts on this site including.

3 different Van Winkles.

bunch of Michter's - apologize if the spelling's off on that 1

at least 20 bottles of Buffalo Trace

3 different types of Eagle Rare

George T Stagg

Hirsch 21 yr. rye

Funny though, no Wild Turkey Rye which is one of my favorites. Go figure.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Got my Saz from Binny's the other day and it was the Single Barrel version. AWESOME STUFF! I recommend it highly. The "red hots" flavor comes through nicely.

Got my Saz from Binny's the other day and it was the Single Barrel version. AWESOME STUFF! I recommend it highly. The "red hots" flavor comes through nicely.

I'm about to order some of this myself, can't wait to get it! Sounds like Brett chose well!

Scott

I'm about to order some of this myself, can't wait to get it! Sounds like Brett chose well!

He did indeed! This Baby Saz is even better than the original release - and that was a mighty fine rye to begin with. My own impression is that it has a little more age to it than the seven years of last year's release - but I could be wrong.

He did indeed! This Baby Saz is even better than the original release - and that was a mighty fine rye to begin with. My own impression is that it has a little more age to it than the seven years of last year's release - but I could be wrong.

From what I understand this is Handy that is bottled at 90 proof. Brett tried hard to get them to do a barrel proof selection, but with the Handy coming out, of course they wouldn't do so. I believe it is 8yo like the Handy. Although don't quote me on that, I'm going from memory (of which mine isn't very good) of a conversation I had with Brett.

Scott

On these retailer-selected single barrel bottlings -- which I think are great, by the way -- they can't really change the proof because that would require a label change and going through the whole label approval process with both the feds and the state. In other words, an expensive hassle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.