1 Hirsch 21 yr. rye or 3 18 yr. Sazeracs?

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Funds being limited, should I go for the one bottle of the Hirsch or three bottles of the Sazerac? I've had the 2005 Sazerac and loved it. But I was surprised to even see the Hirsch.

Anyone know how much of the Hirsch was bottled? Or how they compare taste-wise? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

3 for 1? A no-brainer to me, unless you're a collector first -- buy the Saz if you like it! The Hirsch Selection 21yo is 'bought whiskey'. In other words, this is not the same stuff as the 13yo A.H. Hirsch rye that came out at the same time as the 16- and 20yo bourbons from Michter's distillate. You don't know the provenance; you don't know the mashbill; you don't know whether you could buy the same or similar whiskey cheaper and younger under a different label. At least with the Saz, you know what you're getting.

I believe the 13yo Hirsch Rye was "bought". I think it was the same as the VWFRR(at least my bottle's the same as well as the proof"....Ah, yeah ran a search. Julian says it's the same whiskey as his 13yo just a different batch.

As long as that bottle of 21yo Hirsch Rye says KY or something like that, there's not too many places it could have been made. While I haven't had any rye of that age from HH or any from Barton(though I've heard good things), I can't see a reason(other than price) to stop from buying it.

Yes, if it's made in KY you could probably get it cheaper and younger(now that the new Saz Jr. is out, I know of none that don't sell their rye young and cheap) but with age comes taxes and that's most of the price you're paying. The only problem is: is it too old? The only way to find that out is to buy it and drink it.

However I love the Saz and given the choice of 3 of it v. 1 of the other...unless Saz 18 suddenly dropped to $20 a bottle and I could pick up the other for $60, I think I'd be drinking some Saz(much as I'm doing now).

Yeah. I slept on it and I think you guys are right. If it aint broke...

Maybe what I'll do is get a bottle of Saz. Spend what I save on WT Tribute. Drink the Saz. Save the Tribute. And wait for the baby Saz to be delivered. If it makes it this far north and east.

BTW Tim, I snagged all four bottles of the WT 12yr, per your recommendation. I'm looking forward to a Happy New Year.

Sip safe.

-Mike

If that very old rye Heaven Hill let us sample never surfaces as a product from them, we'll have a pretty good idea where it went.

I'm beginning to think there's a good chance Heaven Hill made this new Hirsch rye (I think it is $106 at Sam's) and the Michter's 10 year old rye too. I don't know that but I suspect it. That's not a bad thing. Heaven Hill makes very good rye.

As long as that bottle of 21yo Hirsch Rye says KY or something like that, there's not too many places it could have been made

Don't forget the old Medley distillery (in Ownesboro? - I'm on vacation in California and away from my library). I have the last inch or so of a bottle of Old Rittenhouse BiB from that plant that was bottled in, I think, the late 80's or early 90's. I seem to have read that some of that ubottled stock was bottled under another label. I was thinking that it was surmised that it was the VW 12 and/or 13 year old. I thought I saw a resemblance.

Perhaps some of it was kept for the 21 year old.

Just a WAG. But HH is not the only likely suspect.

Jeff

PS - I'm hoping to find some dusty corner bottles here in CA! smile.gif

Actually I was thinking HH, Barton, BT or WT.

I had forgotten that the VW might have come from Medley.

I don't know of WT ever selling any extra stock but you never know.

I believe that Ken Weber said that a few years ago they mistakingly sold a couple of barrels they shouldn't have, but didn't know whether it was rye or not.

Barton's kinda an unknown as far as sales and older rye.

Don't forget the old Medley distillery. I was thinking that it was surmised that it was the VW 12 and/or 13 year old.

Well, this is by any chance what Jim Murray writes in his Bourbon book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hirsch at 21 yrs. vs. Sazerac at (3x18=54) yrs.

I'll take the Sazerac.

Seriously, I really liked the Hirsh but it would take an effort to be three times better than the Sazerac. I think I'll go home and have some now just to verify my hypothesis. :),

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.