Sazerac (6- to 7yo) Rye

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There were 3,600 bottles, of which the first 1,000 were numbered and reserved/rewarded to BT employees and 'VIPS', according to Ken.

I picked up 2 more today, leaving around 10 on the shelf. The storeowner said he'd sold any to only one other customer. I assured him he needn't worry, since I'd have money again someday. smirk.gif

Thanks for the info Tim, that gives me hope! And sometimes that's all ya got or all ya need... coffeedrinker.gif

There were 3,600 bottles, of which the first 1,000 were numbered and reserved/rewarded to BT employees and 'VIPS', according to Ken.

I guess I'd better bunker some.

On another note, I just opened a bottle of WT rye. Verrrrrry nice, too! drink.gif Regardless of what I think about the RR90 vs. 101 situation, WT's rye is a fine pour indeed - and it's 101.

Well I can't wait any longer, I had to order online. Should be here next week.

If you do not mind me asking, WHERE did you order online? I've checked a few onlines and had no luck...

I picked up 2 more today, leaving around 10 on the shelf. The storeowner said he'd sold any to only one other customer. I assured him he needn't worry, since I'd have money again someday. smirk.gif

So TN just how many of these do you have put away now? I'd love to see a picture of your stash, or bunker as it is, sometime. popcorn.gif

I don't mind at all, I ordered online from Binnys. They often have a lot more than what their website discloses. I believe they still have the full Antique Collection available as well minus the Sazerac 18.

I don't mind at all, I ordered online from Binnys. They often have a lot more than what their website discloses. I believe they still have the full Antique Collection available as well minus the Sazerac 18.

Thank you, I guess I will have to make a phone call then because I was looking for it, but didn't see it.

I also just placed a phone order with Binny's for the Sazerac 6 y.o. You have to call, as it's not available "online" yet;)

FYI, it's Item No. 196996...

Edit: Attn: Virus -- If you're going to place an order with Binny's, you might as well get some Rittenhouse Bonded, AAA, and Buffalo Trace. None of these are available in Cali...

Edit: Attn: Virus -- If you're going to place an order with Binny's, you might as well get some Rittenhouse Bonded, AAA, and Buffalo Trace. None of these are available in Cali...

Thanks, I had been reading about AAA but could never find it, and yeah I need to try Ritt. also. Is that the Rye or is the bonded different from the rye?

I am actually trying to talk my best friend who owns a Bison (the extinct bufallo's nearest cousin) Ranch in Oregon to go the festival with me and see if we could get a barrell of BT specially bottled for his Ranch, yeah I know it would be spendy, but would be so very cool to have! Probably will not be this year though, maybe next...

Still adjusting to this new format...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got a bottle of this tonight. I picked up 2 of the only 6 bottles yet to arrive in Lexington at the Thoroughbred shop. Sal seemed to think he wouldn't be given any more. Anyway, I agree with Tim's review mostly. Lots of cinnamon and orange on the palate, but what Tim calls young leather, and I can see where he's comming from, to me tastes much more "earthy," like mushrooms in dirt. BTW, that's a complement:yum: I most enjoy the nose, with its fruity/floral bouqet. Another great offering from BT:toast:

• 2 weeks later...
I also just placed a phone order with Binny's for the Sazerac 6 y.o. You have to call, as it's not available "online" yet;)

FYI, it's Item No. 196996...

Well I am placing that order this weekend likely. That friend I spoke of and I are trying to sample all the different bottlings of BT we can find (i.e. Binny's Hand Picked selection, Sam's Hand picked as well as any others. Does anyone know of any others?) as well as regular everyday BT. All this to determine if it would be worth the time and money to go and pick out our own barrel to "use as a business promotion for the Bison Ranch" I think you can read between those lines right? Anyway yes I am ordering some AAA & Ritt. Rye as well as Corner Creek and a few others I can't find out here...

Christian,

There are several retailers just north of you (well, not JUST north of you, but north nevertheless) with barrel programs in the Bay Area. Perhaps you could incorporate some bottle huntin' with an appearance at D-Day on the third saturday of the month (i.e tomorrow).

See this thread for some of those retailers:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=42853#post42853

Roger

I just got around to tasting this whiskey. Thanks to Jeff for his generosity, once again.

Wow, Do I get that musty/earthy taste up front. Think recently turned black mulch. Not bad, but defintely on the front of the palate. I find this contradictory to the the nose, which is sweet/floral. After I got used to the combination, its really great. Nice rye spice kick on the finish. Gets my gums tingling.

• 2 weeks later...

I got in 18 six packs yesterday and we've been sharing the love all weekend. Been handing out Sazerac Cocktail recipes to customers like mad. We even lined up some "Save the Sazerac" tees just for fun. Someone please stop us! We've lost our minds!

I had a bartender email today warning that three Sazerac cocktails in a row is a bad thing. ha ha Be warned, my friends. This whiskey is so light and way too easy to drink. Much gentler than the 18. The 18 has such a rich, full-body with, of course, more wood flavor.

The bottle design wins my highest praise. Best lookin' bottle on the shelf!

Thanks for clarifying the hand-numbered bottle thing. I was wondering about that.

• 3 weeks later...

There is some saying about patience that I don't recall at the moment, and wouldn't buy into anyway because I am not a very patient person. And I consider that a good thing!

So I was very happy to finally see Sazerac Straight Rye on Hi Time's website last night and could hardly wait to get there today to pick some up. This is great stuff! I love it, only had about an ounce sampling just now, but first impressions are great! Very peppery and spicy, you can tell it's young but I think that is good in this case. And I think at $23.99 it's a bargain...

Only problem? Now I want to open the 18 year even more!

I ran into the distributor there, and he told me that all of California got, I believe he said, only 50 cases of this, and Hi Time got 20 of them. I was so excited I wasn't paying complete attention but regardless the number distributed to Ca. was small! He also told me he was offered 200 cases of Buffalo Trace, but said not to bother because it would do more harm than good. He said there is a fear that California will dry it up if they started sending it out here... Interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I snagged a bottle of this from Ledger's in Berkeley today. He also had Pappy 20 and 23 in stock- one of each. I bought an ORVW 10/107, as the Pappy's are out of my price range. If you're in the Bay Area and want one, though, go to Ledger's. Ed also had a couple more of the Saz Jr's, and a PWFRR.

Guys, I gotta say. This is one of the best straight whiskies I've ever had. The combination of rye-spice and a dry fruitiness without any untoward butter/honey, the firm balance and length, the supporting (not overpowering) wood, is really compelling for this taster (even more so than the 18 which can be all about luxury some times--good, but in a different way). In the frou-frou wine trade, we have a word for this kind of feeling--nervy. I dunno. That word just feels right.

So I just tried the Saz Jr, and I think it's probably the biggest disappointment of any whiskey I've ever tried. The dominant flavor for me is a grassy sort of note that I can best describe as spinach. I turned it into a manhattan, and the grassy note still comes screaming through. I'm not sure I can drink it. I'm going to let the bottle sit for a week and try it again, in hopes that the off flavor dissipates.

Hey Jeff,

Maybe DoggyDog can give you his bottle of Saz Spinach to go along with your asparagus EW 1783. Now if someone could only find the turnips.

Joe

That spinach flavor was potent. It would probably even override asparagus. Like I said, I'll give it another try in a few days.

-Sam

I know where to get cauliflower for this salad -- provided you don't mind a hint of boiled chicken livers.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

As soon as bourbon starts tasting like beets, I'm outa here! :puke:

I don't know if it's because Elk said it or what, but I do notice a slightly grassy, asparagus(y) flavor on the finish. To me it just seems like an immature spice, that I see more along the lines of an herb... But unlike elkdog, I like it!

To me it just seems like an immature spice, that I see more along the lines of an herb...I like it!

See original post: "Hints of a summer garden, but herbs, not flowers."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.