Sazerac (6- to 7yo) Rye

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up two bottles of this at the NH packy last night (18.99 each--no tax). One pour into it and I like it pretty well. While I didn't get spinach or asparagus, I did get pronounced red-hot cinnamon candies, and a bit of a minty/herbal note. Not as smooth as some bourbons, but no pucker factor, either, and very tasty.

I understand that this bottling is limited. Anyone know if there will be more of it released in the year to come, or is this it for a while? There were three or four more bottles on the shelf . . .

When I tasted it the predominant impression was that of fresh wood. I noticed the spices and pepper but they seemed somewhat restrained. Maybe I need to try it again, but set against so many fine products from BT it seemed somewhat lesser.

Gary

I picked up two bottles of this at the NH packy last night (18.99 each--no tax). I understand that this bottling is limited. Anyone know if there will be more of it released in the year to come, or is this it for a while? There were three or four more bottles on the shelf . . .

My impression was that it would be limited for now. I actually snapped up the last couple bottles in NH a couple months back. I see that NH has a ton of it again, so the supply must not be too thin.

It's great stuff.

Mike

• 1 month later...

With this becoming, and I know I'll get ridiculed for saying this, one of my "10 favorite whiskeys" I really do hope they keep producing this stuff! I just love it for some reason and want to buy a case to put away, but until I find a place to live and a storage unit to store some stuff I can't buy any more whiskey! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I just picked up my first bottle of Sazerac Jr today. I already own the 18 and it is one of my favorite whiskeys. I'm only on the first pour but I don't think the Jr will be making it to my favorites. Hopefully this will change.

First the nose, this is one of my favorite noses I've ever smelled. I can't even put it into words, but it makes me happy.

I also enjoy the palate and mouthfeel, and its been explained by others on this thread much better than my meager skills can articulate. Now to the aftertaste, I just don't like it, fortunately it is (as Tim stated earler) crisp and clean. But I'm detected a little too much cut glass and something remenescent of very minerally rich top soil. And one other flavor that is very familiar but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

Well, anyway, I got this bottle for 13 bucks (not on sale) and for the price it is a good rye to have in one's collection.

I do have to admit though, the more I sip, the more I do like the Jr.

s-p-i-n-a-c-h

I've come to really enjoy Saz JR, especially when I feel I need to eat more green leafy vegetables.:lol:

• 5 weeks later...
I just picked up my first bottle of Sazerac Jr today. I already own the 18 and it is one of my favorite whiskeys. I'm only on the first pour but I don't think the Jr will be making it to my favorites. Hopefully this will change.

First the nose, this is one of my favorite noses I've ever smelled. I can't even put it into words, but it makes me happy.

I also enjoy the palate and mouthfeel, and its been explained by others on this thread much better than my meager skills can articulate. Now to the aftertaste, I just don't like it, fortunately it is (as Tim stated earler) crisp and clean. But I'm detected a little too much cut glass and something remenescent of very minerally rich top soil. And one other flavor that is very familiar but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

Well, anyway, I got this bottle for 13 bucks (not on sale) and for the price it is a good rye to have in one's collection.

I do have to admit though, the more I sip, the more I do like the Jr.

I've had an almost identical experience with this rye. On first tasting I thought - nice but a bit spoilt by the 'black pepper' and 'dirt' finish. Pikesville has that earthy / mineral quality also.

Bottle is half gone now and I'm enjoying it a lot more. However, as it's about the same price as VWFRR, I wont be buying another bottle in a hurry.

I've had an almost identical experience with this rye. On first tasting I thought - nice but a bit spoilt by the 'black pepper' and 'dirt' finish. Pikesville has that earthy / mineral quality also.

Bottle is half gone now and I'm enjoying it a lot more. However, as it's about the same price as VWFRR, I wont be buying another bottle in a hurry.

I don't know about elsewhere, but VWFRR just hit the shelves again in Lexington for about $44. That's almost $20 higher than it was last time.

I don't know about elsewhere, but VWFRR just hit the shelves again in Lexington for about $44. That's almost $20 higher than it was last time.

Yikes!! I just asked my local folks to order some for me, but if it's $44 there, it's gonna be $64 here. :bigeyes:

In that event perhaps you will find comfort in the lyrics of Don McLean's song, "The More You Pay, The More It's Worth."

Seriously, for a while VWFRR was at the top of my list of favorites. I've all but stopped drinking it (I can't recall the last time) because my stash is almost gone. I guess what I'm saying is this, from my prespective if Booker's and Blanton's are worth around $50, then maybe VWFRR is worth $44 or even $64.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Are you all telling me that on Long Island where I pay $10-30 more a bottle compared to the rest of you, I got a break finally. I recently paid $32 for VWFRR here on LI.:bigeyes:

Could be old stock that hasn't turned over in a while. It showed up here late last week. The shelves had been empty for a while.

Could be old stock that hasn't turned over in a while. It showed up here late last week. The shelves had been empty for a while.

No this was about 3 weeks ago and I'm in this store all the time. They had just recieved a shipment. I was hoping the BTEC would be in that shipment. No Luck on the BETC but I did score the VWFRR and some Pappy 15.

No this was about 3 weeks ago and I'm in this store all the time. They had just recieved a shipment. I was hoping the BTEC would be in that shipment. No Luck on the BETC but I did score the VWFRR and some Pappy 15.

So did the price go up any?

Well, Binny's had a couple of VW rye at $39.99 so I ordered those and, with the money I "saved", I bought eight other bottles of whiskey....

Jeff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.