Sazerac Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey 18 years old

Forbes
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Eighteen years ago today I married my lovely bride. While Peggy took the more traditional route with a flute of Martini & Rossi Asti, with our anniversary in mind, I brought in the New Year with some Sazerac Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey (aged 18 years), the 2005 American Whiskey of the year. I have a couple of those Buffalo Trace flutes that Buffalo Trace gave away at this year’s Bourbon Festival Gala. As you swished it in the glass the so called “legs’ of the whiskey were thick along the sides. It really has an excellent flavor that goes down with an elegant sense of extravagance. This is the whiskey that you pour to impress somebody. It’s definitely not your average whiskey.

Happy New Year!

Todd

A wonderful pour for the ocassion. Congratulations on the anniversary. And this is terrific stuff. Just was lucky enough to find a bottle over the holidays, and am already regretting not buying two.

Bob

Congratulations to you and Peggy on 18 years. It is so wonderful to hear that in these days of throw away marriages. Also glad to hear that each of you were able to celebrate in your own way but together. May the next 18 be capped off in similar fashion on 1/1/2024. toast.gif

18 Years!!! How cool is that?

Patty and I will be celebrating 25 this May and every year we toast with M&R Asti. Its a tradition.

We also got a set of those BT flutes. The cocktail they served was bourbon and champagne. Patty nixed it, but I liked it. For our 25th, we just might have to find a 25 y/o bourbon to mix with M&R. Great idea!!!

Thanks

Ed and The Patty

bowdown.gif

For our 25th, we just might have to find a 25 y/o bourbon to mix with M&R.

As another option you could search out a bottle distilled in the right year-like a two-year-old Pappy 23 or the correct Weller 19 or Saz 18. toast.gif

...Patty and I will be celebrating 25 this May...

You WILL be posting the invitation to the Silver celebration toast.gif here, right?

Seems like the sampler would be close enough in time for an appropriate Silver Anniversary Celebration of some sort.

Of course, all y'all are invited. Is BYOB at The Gazebo redundant?

Anyone in our group ordained to perform a renewal of vows?

BYOB would work fine but is it also BYOBP or are you supplying the brisket plugs again? Silver Anniversary Official Pepcycle Bardstown Brisket Plugs for everyone (patent pending, accept no substitutes)!

And by chance can Brother Wade pope.gif do an excorcism? I get tired of my head rotating all the way around every time I take a sip of straight Stagg.....

...Anyone in our group ordained to perform a renewal of vows?

I will be honored to fete the two of you, but I'm afraid I was an English major -- so all I'm good for is the renewal of vowels skep.gif.

...Anyone in our group ordained to perform a renewal of vows?

I will be honored to fete the two of you, but I'm afraid I was an English major -- so all I'm good for is the renewal of vowels skep.gif.

coffeedrinker.gifOUCH! coffeedrinker.gif

How about assisting with the writing of the vows.

I see a virtual plethora of appropriate bourbon metaphors.

Aging, developing, marrying, distillation, unique flavor, commitment, on the rocks, straight, unfiltered, limited release, ferment, etc.

Who better than Tim to wax prosaic.

bowdown.gif

I see a sampler event developing

bis.gif

Something in the "We are gathered together in the sight of Barton's..." line, huh? pope.gif

And what color is that there prosaic wax? Sure ain't that Elmer T. Lee stuff, from what I hear (especially from people trying to open it blush.gif!).

• 1 month later...

I have been fortunate enough to find a few bottles of Sazerac 18 yr Rye, and loved every drop. I'm all out now and the local shops in central NY do not stock it, nor can it be readily special-ordered. Any suggestions as to a similar (and more available) product? Thanks!

Well, there's the 6 (really 7) year old Sazerac - quite worthy in its own right, even though its youth is evident. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is a lot closer in character to the Saz 18, though.

I haven't been disappointed by any rye I've tried - WT Rye and Rittenhouse BIB are also quite nice (but very different from the Sazeracs and from each other).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.