BOTM, 1/06: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I bought a bottle yesterday (gold wax seal, Binny's cask selection), and it is mighty good! Sweet and mellow... I'd call it a "honey barrel."

Yes, that is exactly how and why it was selected. A honey barrel.

Tim

Being a fan of Blanton's and recently tried ETL for the first time I can understand the theory concerning that connection. How nice for us to be the beneficiaries of the process. Nice to know that I have an option at less that 50% of Blanton's cost.

There are some leftover specials at my local store from the holidays. One of them is Blanton's 750ml @ $39.99 - $10 off the normal price found around town. ETL is $25.99 in same establishment. Never had either one. Trying to decide whether to take advantage of the special price before the last one vanishes, or, save $14 and go with the ETL. At normal price difference ($24), it would be a no-brainer. From this thread, it sounds like Blanton's is not worth 2X the price of ETL....but is it worth an extra $14?

Oh heck, maybe buy both! When in doubt, buy more....it is getting to be my motto.

usflag.gif

Hi Ken,

in the end it tastes how it tastes, to you.

That is certainly true. My experience is quite different. I have had about 6 bottles of ETL. I think that they came from two different barrels, maybe three. I think of them as ETL 1, 2, and 3. 2 and 3 are most probably from the same barrel. At least they are very similar. I have bottles of all three open now and one of ETL 2 bunkered. ETL 2-3 has the strongest cookie spice note of any bourbon I have tasted. Far stronger than Spring 2005 Stagg. I have actually used Stagg to cut the spice in 2-3 ETL while also raising the proof of the ETL to around 100 which is my preferred proof. That may well be the best bourbon I have ever tasted. ETL 1 is much milder. I won't say sweeter because ETL 2-3 is just as sweet, but ETL 1's sweetness is more noticeable since the cookie spice note is more subdued. Far from absent, not even subtle, just not as in your face as ETL 2-3.

Buffalo Trace is a fine bourbon, but one I probably won't be replacing soon. I like it a lot but not nearly as well as I like ETL and ETL is four or five bucks cheaper here. ETL seems to have replaced Blanton's in my heart. At least the bottle of Blanton's Gold that I have open is not holding its own against the three ETLs that I have open.

I hope I haven't confused anyone too much with my number references. It is certainly not something that is on the label. Just the order in which I bought the bottles. All of them are gold wax sealed. I haven't seen any foil caps yet. I plan to buy at least one bottle of ETL this month.

Ed

Finally acquired and pulled the plug on a bottle of ETL. Need a couple more pours to fully develop my thoughts, but I think I saw someone maybe in another thread mention it had a maple flavor to it and I do fully agree. All in all a nice pour, I’ll enjoy this one quite often!

I picked up a couple of bottles of ETL the other day, so now I have four bottles open. I really like this bourbon! The current bottle, ETL 4 has the cookie spice notes that I love so well, but less overpowering and is more balanced. I plan to try all four bottles head to head this week.

Ed

Since ETL became the bottle of the month I haven't wanted to drink anything else!

Ed

I just ordered the ETL Gold Wax seal "honey" barrel from Binny's. I'll compare to the current "foil" release when it arrives.

Hidden

On the long and winding road home this evening, picked up my first bottle of ETL. Looking forward to first pour here in a short while with great expectation. From all the posts here, I should be in for a nice treat.

On the long and winding road home this evening, picked up my first bottle of ETL. Looking forward to first pour here in a short while with great expectation. From all the posts here, I should be in for a nice treat.

I was in Chicago this week so I stopped at Binny's and picked up their hand picked ETL ($20 plus tax). I also have a foil open and an older ETL in the...I think it's referred to as "butt ugly bottle". It's all good!

Jon

I enjoyed it so much, I forgot to report back in afterwards! Another very good offering at a reasonable price from Buffalo Trace.....my hat off to those folks again!!!

So this BOTM runs through the 6th? I'm still working on getting my Elmer and participating. My store tells me it should be in soon. They stopped stocking it because it did not perform well for them. Hopefully my 2 bottles will be here before the next BOTM. :)

I have a snifter of Elmer T. Lee before me. It has a rich nose of brown sugar, buttered popcorn, and some smoky Ozark wood. Down below in there is a hint of some corn whiskey smell, too, and I like that. The nose is similar to Blanton Original but Blanton seems dryer, more oaky. The color of this bottling of ETL is medium-amber with brassy highlights. The taste is sweet and full and the aftertaste shows good length with a trailing of smoky wood. While a single barrel whiskey, I find it consistent from bottle to bottle. This whiskey is one of the best in America, it is very good, brandy-like and soft yet full of American bourbon taste. Also, its price point is very reasonable for the quality given. It is a constant in my bar to sample on its own but also to lend heft and style to my whiskey blendings. If something is rough or obtrudes in a blending, add enough ETL and it makes the problem go away.

If there is any "fault" with ETL it is that a hint more of rye flavor would not be amiss. I fix this by creating blends with a telling ETL appearance but to which lashings of Lot 40 and Old Overholt are added.

Drinks writer Michael Jackson famously called Highland Park the greatest "all-rounder" in the field of malt whisky. One can as easily say ETL is the greatest all-rounder in American bourbon today.

Gary

Ozark Wood???

Wood with no teeth?

What distinguishes Ozark Wood?

(What happened to that Stickpoke emoticon)

Ozark wood is a literary, or quasi-literary, way of referring to charred oak containers.

In my second life I want to be a scientist but I am still in my first one and it leaves traces I can't always efface.. :)

Gary

Ozark Wood???

Wood with no teeth?

What distinguishes Ozark Wood?

Hmmm, where I come from, Ozark Wood was what you got when your teenage cousin Merleen come up outta the crick wearin nothin but a smile.....

If you go advanced and click on the smilie drop-down there is a "show all smilies" that will give all the old ones.

Click here for info regarding "Go Advanced."

Getting back to the original subject of this thread, here's what I had to say about Elmer T. Lee in the WBAYDN thread recently:

"Earlier this evening I really enjoyed my glass of Elmer T. Lee, the outgoing Bourbon of the Month. The pumpkin pie spice and hint of cinnamon are still there. I find it hard to believe that I once likened this bourbon to Lavoris mouthwash."

After I finish this bottle, I will be looking to replace it the next time I return to civilization.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Oh, lets see. Some things might change from stylesheet to stylesheet.

I'm using Red2Black.

But if you follow Dave's Instructions for the WYSISYG, and your using that stylesheet, when you click the QR(quick reply) box it sends you to the bottom of the page to a text box and below the box is a "go advanced" button. That takes you to a full editor with a drop down menu for smilies. At the bottom of the list is the "show all smilies" I referred to.

I think I need to spend some time with the other sheets to learn more about them(but they're so damn bright:smiley_acbt: ).

Interesting, as I was scrolling though the list there are some in the chatroom that aren't here

I'm giving ETL a last pour tonight as outgoing BOTM. It has been good and one to remember....and, continue to enjoy. Again, an excellent choice!! Thanx!!!

I'm giving ETL a last pour tonight as outgoing BOTM. It has been good and one to remember....and, continue to enjoy. Again, an excellent choice!! Thanx!!!

Reading your post tonight I realized I had unwittingly done the same -- wished the BotM a fond farewell on its final day!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!