BOTM, 1/06: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Alas, as it is going out I have finally been able to rangle myself a couple bottles to be picked up on Sat. I look forward to a nice taste and I wait with anticipation for the next BOTM!

Yeah I am getting antsy for the next BOTM, what's it gonna be? Huh? Huh, what it is? I can't wait!... Tell me, tell me, tell me!?!?...

OK I'll put the coffee away for now.

For you other Seattle area SB folks, the store at 1702 4th S. now stocks the Elmer T Lee. That was a nice surprise. The manager is also looking into a couple other Bottles. I guess there is a new restaurant in the Fremont area that wants access to more bourbons so she is looking into it.

I know it's late, but I've finally located some Elmer T Lee in New Orleans. The store I work at salvaged some from their Katrina damaged warehouse. I bought the last 3 bottles for $9 a piece. They're the older wax dipped bottles. I'm enjoying a taste now and it's quite pleasant. Not really bold or spicey, but full enough and quite sweet. A great bourbon, especially at that price. :)

I also just got hold of a bottle. Great stuff- the first bourbon my wife ever appreciated. I can't thank this board enough for all that I've learned in the month or so that I've been reading.

Somewhere in this thread the answer surely lies. So far though, I cannot find it. Looking over my ETL tonite while engaging it for a nightcap, I noticed that there is no age mentioned on the bottle. Anybody know how old ETL is when it is bottled? Someone close to BT and the inner workings there can probably tell me.

Thanks,

Wayne

Anybody know how old ETL is when it is bottled? Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne,

I remember someone mentioned some time ago (on good authority) that ETL is 10 to 14 years old.

Joe :usflag:

Wayne,

I remember someone mentioned some time ago (on good authority) that ETL is 10 to 14 years old.

Joe :usflag:

Thanks Joe. That is kind of what I thought and would have guessed. Every time I open it, I like it better. One of those that grows on you or perhaps there is something to the bourbon getting better the more it 'airs' with each opening.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a bottle of Elmer T. Lee and the first drink of the bottle was quite good.

• 2 months later...

Got a bottle at the local ABC for $19.99. Very nice! I'm really enjoying this one. Pleasantly complex, without much burn. Very drinkable.

• 2 weeks later...

I always refer to ETL as a gateway bourbon (please forgive me Elmer for that analogy) in that it is a great starter Single Barrel Bourbon especially for novices of any bourbon, to see that there is a whole new world out there.Also at the usual prices it's just a couple bucks more than a lot of well type bourbons.

• 1 month later...

I know I am incredibly late on this thread, but I am about to finish my bottle of Elmer T. Lee and I have to say, I was shocked at how amazing this was. I am still new to the whole bourbon world, but this one opened my eyes.

Next? Who knows. Elijah Craig? Woodford Reserve? Who knows, but I am always up for suggestions...

I know I am incredibly late on this thread, but I am about to finish my bottle of Elmer T. Lee and I have to say, I was shocked at how amazing this was. I am still new to the whole bourbon world, but this one opened my eyes.

Next? Who knows. Elijah Craig? Woodford Reserve? Who knows, but I am always up for suggestions...

I suggest another bottle of Elmer T Lee! I always have one open, several in fact. Since it is a single barrel each bottle, unless it is from the same barrel, will be a little bit different.

But you want something new. You could go with something else from Buffalo Trace, or you could go with a different distillery.

How about Evan Williams Single Barrel? Any year will do for a start.

Ed

How about Evan Williams Single Barrel? Any year will do for a start.

Ed

Get the '94 or '95 if you can... much better than the '96 IMHO.

• 4 months later...

:grin: :grin:

The Elmer T. Lee is really good stuff... I actually like everything from Buffalo Trace. It's just dam good!! What would life be, with out Buffalo Trace?? BTW, I use their key chain, and I have shirts. Enough said.

:grin: :grin:

• 3 months later...

I thought I might mention here a recent tasting of Elmer T. Lee that somewhat disappointed. This is a current, gold foil bottling. I got an aftertaste of "fresh earth", and that is just not to my taste. I have noticed it in recent bottlings of Buffalo Trace. Yet, a recent pint of Weller 107 showed none of this taste. I wonder what accounts for it, I recall some people on the list expressing satisfaction at the taste: fair enough, but it is not for me and moreover I just can't recall it in earlier bottlings of either brand. I'm still a big fan of Rock Hill Farms and I hope its profile is kept separate from this kind of top-note.

Gary

I think that I've made it clear here that Elmer T. Lee is my favorite bourbon. However, I ran into a batch that was just not good IMO. I have no idea what it was about it but I just didn't like it. Since it was a special bottling for a store, I returned the unopened bottle (I had purchased two), used the opened bottle for a mixer and have avoided ETL at the store like the plague. Someone even returned a bottle at a competing liquor store so I could hardly be the only one. This was the one and only time I was disappointed in the stuff. But after having consumed at least 20 other stellar bottles of the stuff, I assume even Elmer can have an off day. My current bottle that I purchased less than a month ago is as perfect a bottle of the stuff as I've ever tasted.

I have yet to try this stuff, as my go-to "cheap" store doesn't stock it, and for whatever reason, the price around here keeps going up. $32.99 is now the cheapest I can find it. In Chicago, I nearly bought a bottle at $20.59 from Binny's, but didn't have room in my luggage. Now I wish I had made room. I think I'd enjoy a higher-rye recipe than the ERSB.

I just picked up my first bottle of ETL a few nights ago, upon reading lots of good things about it. Maybe it's my bottle, but I'm extremely unimpressed, I can't believe how woody this bourbon is. Far too woody, IMO. Has anyone else noticed this?

I bought ones recently both in and outside Kentucky that had a notably earthy tang (not really woody), as if the barrels sat on a damp earth floor. Some Old Weller 107 I've bought has a similar top-note but others do not. Not sure what is happening. I think these are just inevitable batch variations but I prefer the whiskeys without that taste.

Gary

I bought ones recently both in and outside Kentucky that had a notably earthy tang (not really woody), as if the barrels sat on a damp earth floor. Some Old Weller 107 I've bought has a similar top-note but others do not. Not sure what is happening. I think these are just inevitable batch variations but I prefer the whiskeys without that taste.

Gary

My bottle isn't earthy, it's definately woody. Seems like someone soaked a 2 x 4 in the bottle for the last ten years. So much wood, I can't really taste anything else. I've heard this bourbon is a sweet one, but my bottle is anything but sweet.

Great! I too just picked up a bottle. I wonder if this is a bad batch or something. I haven't opened mine so hopefully it won't have the 2x4, earthy dirt floor taste.

I just wiped out a bottle of ETL last night, one from Binny's, and it was superb.

I broke down and opened up the ETL. Happy to say that I didn't find any woodiness but a pleasant, sweet start and finish. Very nice....I had it with homemade apple pie....

I'm with Crispy. I have one of the Binny's selections and I think it's terrific. It reminds me of Buffalo Trace only more so. It's interesting that Elmer is the same guy who selected Blanton's, a very different whiskey. Since BT and ETL are different mash bills, this is all about wood and, I think, the peculiar microclimate of BT's location.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!