BOTM, 1/06: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think I got a bottle from a bad batch as well. My bottle is definitley more like paint thinner than bourbon.

I just had a second pour from my bottle. I think there is something going on with the current batches. This is one of the worst bourbons, I've ever had. Buyer beware, in many locations it may be wise to wait a while before purchasing any more ETL.

Edit: I want to clarify that my feelings are on this specific bottling I have or even a specific barrel. Not the ETL product in general.

Has anyone have a bad experience with the Binny's ETL bottling? If not, it sounds like this version might be the right one to buy for now.

Has anyone have a bad experience with the Binny's ETL bottling? If not, it sounds like this version might be the right one to buy for now.

My bottle was Not from Binny's. That one probably is the one to buy.

I've purchased three lately from Bevmo in SoCal. The most recent a month ago. It tastes fine to me. The one I did not like was a store specific version at a competing retailer.

I've purchased three lately from Bevmo in SoCal. The most recent a month ago. It tastes fine to me. The one I did not like was a store specific version at a competing retailer.

Wouldn't have been Hi Time, now would it?

Wouldn't have been Hi Time, now would it?

He did say Bevmo, I add that my bottle from the same is fine.

He did say Bevmo, I add that my bottle from the same is fine.

Marc, he said the one he did NOT like was a store specific version that is a competitor to bevmo. Or did I read that wrong?

I've had no problems with any ETL. Sorry to hear you guys have had some bad experiences, though. Just remember, this too, shall pass.

Cheers!

JOE

I didn't want to say but yes...HiTimes version of ETL was HORRIBLE! That was the one that I even saw returned to a Bevmo. It was sitting on a shelf at Bevmo with a HiTimes sticker on it. I won't buy an ETL from HiTimes for at least a year.

I think BT's program of letting retailers make their own single-barrel selections is a good one and part of the QA is that every barrel offered them is pre-selected by BT as acceptable for the brand in question. That said, there is a YMMV factor at work here. Although I love the bottle of ETL that I got recently at Binny's, I have a bottle of Weller Antique from Cork N Bottle that I don't care for, and normally I'm a big Weller Antique fan.

One thing I have noticed that may account for this is that when you are tasting several different examples of what is, essentially, the same thing, the one that is most different is the one you perceive as "best."

...One thing I have noticed that may account for this is that when you are tasting several different examples of what is, essentially, the same thing, the one that is most different is the one you perceive as "best."

Indeed, one philosophy of selecting a personalized barrel might be to get something that isn't 'standard'. After all, why choose a barrel on which to put your name that is just like all the standard bottles of the same brand on your, and everyone else's, shelf?

I'm really kicking myself for not buying a bottle at Binny's now. I've been pondering asking my favorite liquor store to get some ETL (they've picked up two other whiskeys when I asked about them), but I don't know that I'd want to buy a bottle, given the flurry of recent negative experiences. Everyone in Dallas who carries it wants $30+ for it, and I can't justify buying it at that price.

Yeah, ETL is expensive in Dallas. $37.99 at the nearest Centennial store. They have 2 bottles, both dusty.

Yeah, ETL is expensive in Dallas. $37.99 at the nearest Centennial store. They have 2 bottles, both dusty.

That is just wrong (for them to charge that, I'm not questioning your honesty). I had to get mine out of state, but it was not in a particularly low-price state (Kentucky). I paid something in the mid-20's, about $26.

Tim

Binny's seemed to have been running a special on BT lines in Feb. Their single barrel ETL was going for the low price of $20.69. I also noticed at the same time they had Elijah Craig 18yo for $31.49, and it is currently listed on their site for $42.99:skep: What's with that? Their normal price was $34.99, meaning it went up $8 in a month..........

Scott

Picked up a bottle of ETL the other day. The first sample was not as impressive as I had hoped. Will let the bottle breathe a bit and try it again.

The Ezra B 12 YO Single Barrel I got @ the same time was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Bevmo just raised this by 5 dollars a bottle. Still worth it but it kinda makes me mad.

I brought a bottle to a bachelor party this past weekend. I consider this a very light bodied bourbon, good for noivces. My friends who like canadian whiskey thought this stuff was 'too strong'. Obviously they don't know what they're doing, but I enjoyed the hell out of the bottle and a few guys will probably purchase it in the future. Just have to keep spreading the word!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!