Pleasant Surprise!

LewBryson
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The biggest surprise at WhiskyFest for me was an as-yet-unnamed 18 YO RYE WHISKEY from Buffalo Trace (formerly Ancient Age). A delicious whiskey with plenty of character, not overly woody in the least, and with a finish that just didn't quit. An excellent, outstanding whiskey. Release: "ummmmm... Spring."

Lew Bryson

Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

Was there any indication as to price range for this rye? And, how the hell did they know 18 years ago that they should make a rye?

--Jeff Frane

Nothing was said about price range; they didn't say much other than "Want to try this?"

I don't believe they DID know, 18 years ago. They (Sazerac) just bought a bunch of stuff from UDVNA/Diageo, and I'll bet this was among it. They had the eyes-open savvy to see that it would go somewhere, and they're going to put it out.

Lew Bryson

Lew,

I also tried the 18-year Rye. I found it close to my 13-year rye. Mashbill seems to be similar. It was over 100 proof as sampled, and I thought mine came off quite a bit smoother(of course I would). Perhaps it would be better at a lower proof(but don't tell them that).

I spoke with Elmer Lee about the whiskey. Ancient Age made it for UD 18 years ago, and now have it back. I had actually sampled this whiskey last year from UD just to try it as a possible export rye but tuned it down. I still have a sample on my desk,(shows you how often I clean up around here).

Julian

Well, of course you'd think that! <g> I can't help but think you're right, it would be nicer jacked down to the 95-100 proof range.

The provenance is fascinating, a boomerang whiskey! Thanks for the info; I'm still foolish enough to be intimidated by Elmer T. He's the nicest damned person, I just am nuts about his whiskeys and I get all embarrassed about it. Terrible problem for a writer!

Lew Bryson

• 3 months later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well all of the questions have been answered now. It will be called Sazerac Rye 18yr, and will be bottled at 45«v. Available May 1st at retailer near you (assuming you live in Kentucky, that is).

Lew, I'm afraid that I can't agree with John's comment that bringing the whiskey down to 90 proof won't hurt it, may actually enhance it, and that most drinkers would find it "a bit over the top at barrel proof". Let's look at who the market is for this whiskey. The people posting on this forum probably comprise 30% of the whole thing (hyperbole filter firmly on). I for one, would have like to have had the opportunity to determine for myself if 45«v "hurts" the whiskey, not have an external party decide that for me. If it was too "over the top" at barrel proof, then that's what the bottle of spring water in my bar at home is for.

I don't mean to p*ss on Sazerac's Wheaties for releasing this rye, I just wish someone in the marketing department was an enthusiast for a change instead of a bean counter.

Cheers,

Bushido

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Sorry, the forum software has an intersting interpretation of "% abv". The whiskey is 45 percent alcohol by volume.

Forgive me if I step a bit cautiously on this one regarding what was printed in Malt Advocate. A couple points.

When the call came about the release at 90 proof, I was actually in the MA office (one of the rare times, I work at home), and John was concerned.

When I next spoke to him, he had tasted the 90 proof and seemed quite taken with it.

I haven't had the 90 proof.

I went apeshit over the 110 proof version, and I'm not usually that comfortable above 101.

I don't think Sazerac should have tipped their hand at 110 and then released at 90.

Much could have been made of a barrel-proof rye. They claim they wanted to put the Sazerac name on a line of exceptional whiskies. Leaving what the whiskey tastes like at 90 vs. 110 out of it and looking at barrel-proof vs. NOT... it looks like a line of semi-exceptional whiskies. There have been a lot of lost opportunities in this business (spirits, not just whiskey) because of a lack of resolve and under-estimation of the market.

Lew Bryson

• 1 month later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Lew and all,

As you can no doubt fathom, I am a little peeved about the whole marketing thing with the Sazerac Rye. Does anyone else feel that the publication of tasting notes for the Sazerac Rye in MA are just a tad misleading? Granted, I have absolutely no problem with the content of the review nor do I resent publication of tasting notes for whiskies which are not generally available to the public.

However, in this case we have an advert at the front of the magazine announcing the imminent arrival of the Sazerac Rye, in its sadly diluted form, and a review of a different whiskey (the full cask strength version) with the same name in the back. Lew, restore my faith in MA and JH and tell me that the abv given for the review was just a typo and not reflective of the whiskey available at the 'fest.

Cheers,

Bushido

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Not receiving a reply here, I went to the horse's mouth, so to speak. John assured me it was a typo and the result of having samples (and reviews) of both the full strength and watered down versions in the office at the same time. The review in MA is for the watered down version soon to be in stores (in Kentucky).

Cheers,

Bushido

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the lack of response. As you probably know by now, that was right about when I fell off the straightbourbon wagon... a disappearance I'm not sure even I understand. Anyway, glad that's cleared up, my apologies for leaving, and I think... I'm back

Lew Bryson

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.