Larot & Graham becomes...

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Woodford Reserve Distillery.

While we probably saw this coming, what is the point?

I just noticed this today when I went looking for the Woodford website. It seems that they think little of the history of the distillery.

Ah, thanks Tim. Now I know why I missed it: they changed the name at the same time they started charging for the tour!

• 5 weeks later...

I've been trying to follow the history of this distillery.

It went from Ancient Age to Labrot and Graham, and now to Buffalo Trace, correct?

Is Gary Gayheart still invoved there? I saw his name on some older articles, but now I'm seeing Harlan Wheatley mentioned as Master Distiller.

Actually the Woodford Reserve Distillery was originally the Oscar Pepper Distillery, RD#52, then The Labrot & Graham Distillery.

You seem to be confused with the current Bufflao Trace Distillery:

E. H Taylor Jr & Co

The George T Stagg Co

Kentucky River

OFC RD#2

Carlisle RD#113

Ancient Age Distilling Co, The Straight Whiskey Distilling Co of America, Albert P Blanton

Buffalo Trace

Source: The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky, Cecil.

for info on the Gayheart/ Wheatley look here http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads-6.5/showthread.php?t=4040

Actually the Woodford Reserve Distillery was originally the Oscar Pepper Distillery, RD#52, then The Labrot & Graham Distillery.

You seem to be confused with the current Bufflao Trace Distillery:

E. H Taylor Jr & Co

The George T Stagg Co

Kentucky River

OFC RD#2

Carlisle RD#113

Ancient Age Distilling Co, The Straight Whiskey Distilling Co of America, Albert P Blanton

Buffalo Trace

Source: The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky, Cecil.

Thanks for the link on Gayheart; I hadn't seen that.

I'm still confused however, about the Ancient Age distillery; and it's connection to Buffalo Trace?

...I'm still confused however, about the Ancient Age distillery; and it's connection to Buffalo Trace?

It's the same place -- the Sazerac folks, who bought it in the early '90s, changed the name of Ancient Age Distillery to Buffalo Trace in 1996.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing, that was a list of the names that the distillery has carried over the years, as listed by Sam Cecils book(I'm not sure of the reason for the 3 names being on the same line, but thats how it's listed)

Sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing, that was a list of the names that the distillery has carried over the years, as listed by Sam Cecils book(I'm not sure of the reason for the 3 names being on the same line, but thats how it's listed)

Oh, I see what I did; I confused Labrot and Graham -> Woodford Reserve with Ancient Age -> Buffalo Trace.

I don't know why; I'm very very tired, and these names keep changing. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't Buffalo Trace previously Leestown Distilling Company? Waymack & Harris give the history of the distillery thusly:

Site of distillery owned by Ben H. Blanton - 1860s

O.F.C. (Old Fashioned Copper) Distillery under E.H. Taylor - 1869-70

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Company under George T. Stagg & E.H. Taylor - 1873

George T. Stagg Distillery - Stagg becomes sole owner, 1886

Col. Albert B. Blanton hired in 1897, distillery manager 1912-1952

Schenley acquires distillery - 1929 (at some point becomes Schenley Distillery)

Bourbon production resumes after prohibition - 1933

Ancient Age brand debuts - 1946 (60th anniversary this year!)

Name changed to Ancient Age Distilling Company - 1969

Name changes to Leestown Distilling Company, Inc. - 1992

That looks about right, although I seem to recall that the distillery was never actually named Ancient Age Distillery, but everyone called it that because the Ancient Age label was on the water tower, the signs, etc., and it was their flagship brand. Unfortunately, I don't know what, in this telling, the actual name was. I know the predecessor to Sazerac was a company called Age International, which bought it from Schenley in 1983. The owners were Ferdie A. Falk and Robert C. Baranaskas.

Sazerac bought the place in 1992 and changed the name from whatever it was to Leestown, but I can tell you that everyone called it Ancient Age until the buffalo came.

WL&H didn't have the fact that from 1953 to 1969 it was named the Albert B. Blanton Distillery.

I know that it changed from Leestown to Buffalo Trace on June 1, 1999. It is the largest whiskey distillery in America with capacity of 10 million proof gallons per year.

O.F.C. (Old Fashioned Copper)

That should be Old Fire Copper, No?

It is the largest whiskey distillery in America with capacity of 10 million proof gallons per year

Are you sure about that Chuck?

"Old Fire Copper" sounds more familiar, but I also seem to recall that no one is absolutely sure what O.F.C. meant.

As for the statement about their size, that's their claim (I got it from a BT press release) and I don't know of anyone who has ever contradicted it.

Jerry Dalton told me once what the Booker Noe plant is capable of but I get mixed up on the details that I won't say what I think he said , but it did seem to be North of that a bit. We'll see him next month anyway. At any rate in a couple years they plan Booker Noe plant to be the largest in the world, they are commiting 30 million plus to get there.

Certainly too there are different ways of stating capacity, still capacity v. fermenter capacity would be one. Most bourbon distilleries have excess still capacity and are limited by their fermenter capacity.

• 5 weeks later...

The Buffalo Trace Distillery was never officially known as the Ancient Age Distillery, as Chuck noted, the water tower was painted with the Age logo. I too have heard that we have the largest capacity in the world, but perhaps I am dreaming. I saw our historical production records and we once produced over 620,000 barrels in a single year. This is nearly 15 times more barrels per year than we currently produce. I honestly don't know how this rates with other distilleries.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.