Old Potrero

shoshani
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I noticed that Sam's in Chicago is advertising Old Pot at $94 a bottle. Anyone actually buy a bottle of this? I'm interested in its age and what your impressions are. Murray predicted great things for it several years ago.

Michael Shoshani

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Michael,

Sam's actually has two different ages of OP. You have to decode the "Essay" on the neck label and compare the color of the liquid. IIRC, one is about 13 months of age and the other is about 3 years, each have their own charms. I have the first "Essay" release at 13 months, it is a little rough around the edges as you might expect and certainly not worth the expense, when evaluated on its own merit. It is, however, an extremely limited and unique product.

In terms of characteristics, I'd describe it as very spicy and slightly bitter with some malty sweetness and grassy notes from the grain. Medium to long finish that's sweet and dry like spiced white wine. It's my tipple of choice for the 4th celebration this week.

Cheers,

Bushido

Bushido wrote:

"Sam's actually has two different ages of OP. You have to decode the "Essay" on the neck label and compare the color of the liquid. IIRC, one is about 13 months of age and the other is about 3 years, each have their own charms. "

I actually saw on Sam's web site that they list an OP malted rye and an OP straight rye. Whatever the case, the 3 year old would be the way I would lean...but I think I'm going to hang on until Fritz can bottle a 6 or 7. For the kind of money OP costs, I think it's worth it to wait until it has a few more years in the wood.

Michael Shoshani

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Michael,

The distinction, IIRC is that the 13 month old cannot be officially (BATF) labelled as "straight rye whiskey" because it is not old enough. So Fritz invented the (BATF) undefined name of "single malt rye whiskey" for the younger stuff. I've not had them head-to-head, but I remember the 3 year old I tasted at WhiskyFest as not being all that much more distinctive. There's no difference in price, so they're not seen as competing products, just different expressions, I guess. It's got to be the most expensive 1 year-old whiskey you can buy at the store. Again, a discretionary purchase only for the seriously completist personality, but I still happen to like it.

Cheers,

Bushido

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Chuck,

Thanks. Just to complete the mutual admiration society here, I very much enjoyed your latest article in MA#9/3 on the defintions of American Whiskey. Sort of topical, given my response to Michael above.

Cheers,

Bushido

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.