Sazerac Rye

Andy Traxel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm in Louisville on business this week. Went to Liquor Outlet on Fern Valley Rd. for some souveniers. Was hoping to see the Sazerac Rye. No such luck. Last word was a problem with sealing wax. That was a couple months ago. Anybody have an update on the status of this product?

Did find both the 12 and 13 year old Van Winkle Ryes. Bought a bottle of the 13 year old to take home. And a bottle of Elmer T. Lee.

Andy

• 2 months later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I was hoping someone here who attend the Bardstown soiree last weekend might have some information on a possible release date for the Sazerac Rye? What say the powers that be?

Cheers,

Bushido

Bushido:

> I was hoping someone here who attend the Bardstown soiree last weekend might

> have some information on a possible release date for the Sazerac Rye?

I didn't go to Bardstown, but I know they're bottling this week. I imagine the time delay to make it to store shelves will depend on various states' archaic, convoluted liquor laws.

Stotz

• 1 month later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I have seen the 18 year old Sazerac Rye, and what's more, I have tasted it! Mere words are not sufficient to descibe its tremendous taste. I thought an 18 year old whiskey would be too woody, but this rye has the perfect balance of oak, vanilla, and spicy-pepperiness. The package is beautiful in its simplicity, while the whiskey is a lovely burnished-copper. What is more unbelievable is the price - $37.00!

I made a quick call to the person at the Buffalo Trace Distillery responsible for marketing this nectar, bourbon brand manager Ken Weber. He confirmed that the price was in the range he staked out. With only 200 cases of whiskey produced, it might be difficult to find. You may want to e-mail Ken at kweber@buffalotrace.com and he can direct you to the nearest store.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi all,

I tasted the "dilute" version which will be on sale to the public at WhiskyFest last week. It is, in a word, fan-freakin'-tastic. The day after the show it went on sale at Town Wine and Spirits in Providence, RI. The Binny's chain in Chicago will have it next week. Run, don't walk, to your retailer and demand that they stock this. I am hesitant to give any tasting impressions without actually tasting it again under more "controlled" conditions. The milieu in the middle of WhiskyFest is not the most conducive condition to critique a whiskey. However, I remember my toes curling up as a very silky and smooth whiskey poured down my gullet. Nicely bittersweet/fruity rye and as another poster mentioned, no over-woodiness as one might suspect.

More later when my bottle graces the vaults.

Cheers,

Bushido

• 3 weeks later...

I was somewhat surprised to read that someone has been passing out my e-mail address. Not that it really bothers me, I just did not think anyone knew it, or even cared. The information stated by Mr. Harris is accurate. Paul Pacault recently awarded this rye a four star rating. The Malt Advocate and Whiskey Magazine have been generous in their praise. The reason I am citing reputable sources is because, as brand manager of Sazerac Rye, you can count on me being somewhat biased. This product has won gold medals in Whiskey Festivals in San Francisco.

The rye has been available in selected accounts around the country for approximately one month. With only 289 cases produced, we have already exceeded our original allocations. When I inform some of our distributors that we had to cut their orders, it will be Katy-bar-the-door.

Finally, Julian markets a very good rye product. I would suggest that when taste tests are held, include Sazerac Rye in the mix. As an unbiased taster, let me know what you think.

Ken, can you advise of outlets in KY?

As a fan of Julian's rye I will take you up on a side by side comparison -- and do it as a blind tasting to make it fair.

Greg

I would like know of outlets in the Kansas/Missouri area as well. If it's easier for you, just tem me the distributor's name and I will contact them for the appropriate store.

Thanks,

Bill

Liquor Outlet, Party Mart, and Liquor Barn are among the stores you can find the product. I recently diverted 25 cases from CA. to KY stores because they were already selling out.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.