BOTM, 2/06: George T Stagg, Fall '05

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just got off the phone with Binny's as I am trying to find the best deal on a 3 pack of Stagg to put away and was told they have 3 types:skep: , spring and fall '05 (ok makes sense) and The Rare release - which goes for 500 a bottle. Now he couldn't say for sure what that was, but I am guessing this has to be 2002. Anyone else have any insight into this? Obviously I am not going to pay $500 for a bottle of it, but was just curious if the 2002 GTS has reached such legendary status that it goes for that?

By the way the more I taste this Fall release, the more I think it is better than the Spring just IMO.

• 2 months later...

I haven't gotten a chance to taste any of the new Stagg, does anyone have any tasting notes they'd like to share?

I'm bumping to indicate my thoughts on the 141.2 which I tried for the first time today courtesy a friend who brought some back from D.C.. I was astonished how soft and drinkable this is for such a monster proof whiskey. It was soft as a pillow, with concentrated flavours of orange, fig and damask. I had a couple of the early Staggs and found them feisty and somewhat awkward in comparison. This is an elegant whisky and let down to about 110-115 proof is just about the best older whiskey I've ever had, no I'll come out and say it, it IS the best older whiskey I've had. Ken Weber and the others at Buffalo Trace behind this are geniuses and they've pulled a sly trick by releasing something as good as what came before if not (in my view) better, as distinctive and as quality-driven but in a completely different way. Well done gentlemen. This reminds me of the best mid-1900's bourbons I've had at Gazebo tastings except better.

Gary

. . . with concentrated flavours of orange, fig and damask.

Gary,

I am unable to find a definition of "damask" that suggests a flavor element (except perhaps in a metaphorical way, as in "silky"). Please elucidate.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

But damask has a smell, Dave, or can have especially older hangings and other decor made from it, and smell and flavour are often hard to separate. Damask can have an odor of musk, of perfumed cloth. This is what I meant.

Gary

Gary,

We have here yet another instance of my life-long cultural and socio-economic deprivation.

Now burlap I know definitely has a smell of its own. :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 1 month later...

I have the GTS of ole, and have just found/purchased the GTS '05 not to long ago...the nose/taste to me on the older stuff had strong hints of date and/or figs...how does the newer stuff compare? Obviously, I haven't busted open my '05...just looking for some more thoughts in anticipation of doing so!

The Fall '05 is lighter than previous issues, more elegant, and has a more ethereal nose and taste. Specifically it has the trademark taste of smoke and "old roses". It is in a word excellent, and a fine value.

Gary

• 1 month later...

The gunfighter walked up to the bar for one last drink before he had to go out to meet the sheriff for the showdown. "Give me a shot of your best whiskey" he said as he only had a few minutes before the clock struck 12:00 noon. The bartender grabbed the bottle of George T. Stagg fall 05 and poured a shot into the glass that spilled over the edge onto the bar. The gunfighter sipped about half his drink and wondered if he made a mistake as an upside down atomic bomb exploded in his belly.

Yes this is a bourbon for real men. It is bold and rich unlike any other I have tasted. It has a caramel and molasses nose and flavor that stays long after the sip. It is the bourbon that gunfighters, cowboys, and real men end up with at the end of the night.

bj

• 3 months later...
Got a new bottle of Stagg today. Must be Spring 2006. Going to pop it open for a pour soon. :cool:

George,

I did also get a bottle of the new Stagg on the post yesterday. It was a “bourbon enthusiast†that I meat at Bourbon Bistro in Louisville that shipped it to me. (hope that’s not a crime on this forum). I will also try it soon or at least before Christmas.

Leif

• 4 months later...
George,

I did also get a bottle of the new Stagg on the post yesterday. It was a “bourbon enthusiast” that I meat at Bourbon Bistro in Louisville that shipped it to me. (hope that’s not a crime on this forum). I will also try it soon or at least before Christmas.

Leif

Crime or not..is there a secure way to ship this stuff? I bought a bottle of GTS for my brother but I couldn't find a way to ship it. USPS stole a case of Budvar that my brother sent me and shipping has never been the same for me again. Yes, I had to keep old George...Thanks in advance

Bob K

Got a new bottle of Stagg today. Must be Spring 2006. Going to pop it open for a pour soon. :cool:

Geo,

Do you mean Spring '05? To my knowledge there was only 1 release in '06 and that was October.

I've only tried the Spring '05 release of Stagg. I have unopened, Spring '05, Fall '05 and two Fall '06 releases. I've been procrastinating on opening any of the bottles since I have other premiums currently open. My next premium bottle to open was going to be PVW 15 but I may have to pop open that Stagg '06.

For anyone local to Northern Virginia and is looking for Stagg. I came across 6 bottles (dusty) sitting on the shelf of a local ABC. I believe they were all '06 releases.

I've only tried the Spring '05 release of Stagg. I have unopened, Spring '05, Fall '05 and two Fall '06 releases. I've been procrastinating on opening any of the bottles since I have other premiums currently open. My next premium bottle to open was going to be PVW 15 but I may have to pop open that Stagg '06.

The Fall '05 and Fall '06 GTS are both excellent. I would love to hear your thoughts on them side by side! I've never had the guts to open more than one bottle of GTS at a time. In fact, I'm just about considering hiding my second (unopened) bottle of Fall '06 somewhere I won't be able to find it---just so I can rest easy knowing that somewhere, nearby there is always a pristine bottle of Stagg. The mere thought of arriving at a point in my life where I don't have a bottle of Stagg around is a depressing thought.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!