Rittenhouse Rye-Best of Category-Double Gold

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Our Rittenhouse Rye won "Best of Category" trophy in the 2006 SF World Spirits Competition :grin: which means it captures a "Double Gold" medal and is also selected as the best among the Double Gold medal winners in that category :grin:

The (Rittenhouse Rye) $13.00 average retail price beat out "Bookers ($50) Old Forester BB ($35) A.H. Hirsch ($80) Crown Royal XX ($125) George T. Stagg ($50) Pappy VanWinkle Family Reserve ($85)...

This is a hard to find bourbon that is about to become "alot" harder to find :grin: :grin:

I have touted this whiskey for quite some time :grin: :grin:

Stay tuned----> Rittenhouse Rare Reserve, Single Barrel, 21 years old<---hopefully...in September :grin: Limited quantities.

Bettye Jo

Bettye Jo, this was the only 'must-get' I'd planned for my recent Chicago excursion. Alas, I managed only 4 bottles instead of the case I'd planned because of space limitations and some other 'finds' earlier in the week. Still, am always glad to procure more Rittenhouse BIB.:bowdown:

As for the 21yo rye, Craig Beam offered a bottle at 100 proof -- apparently the proof at which it will be commercially bottled -- to Mitch at Twisted Spoke Wednesday during its event related to WhiskyFest. It didn't last the night, of course, as Mitch poured it to all comers, but the SB.com'ers present all snarfed at least a couple of pours apiece before it disappeared. Mighty good stuff!

:yum:

Congrats Bettye Jo to you and HH! I picked up the last two bottles (at least as far as I could tell) in WA. about a month ago and have yet to open them. I am waiting for a little Rye Tasting this summer with some friends. I noticed at the store a few weeks ago, they also have an 80 proof version? I picked up one of those as well. I look forward to giving them a try.

congrats! I have some Rittenhouse on the way and can't wait to try it!

• 2 weeks later...

Is This the same stuff that just took home the award that Jeff posted, no? "Rittenhouse Rye Whisky wins prestigious “North American Whiskey of the Year†trophy at San francisco world spirits competition" Or is this all the same award? Either way, apparently Cali isn't the only place it is not available as Tim mentioned having to go to Chicago to get some.

Idaho lists it at a whole $11.10, I think I need to make a road trop over there next time I am in Oregon.....

From what I know, a whiskey must first win "double gold". Then all the double golds are judged and the winner becomes the "whiskey of the year". A great honor for Rittenhouse and Heaven Hill.

Joe

you can order it online from Binnys for about $11 plus shipping, but there is no CA sales tax so it's a decent deal.

Is This the same stuff that just took home the award that Jeff posted, no? "Rittenhouse Rye Whisky wins prestigious “North American Whiskey of the Year†trophy at San francisco world spirits competition" Or is this all the same award? Either way, apparently Cali isn't the only place it is not available as Tim mentioned having to go to Chicago to get some.

Idaho lists it at a whole $11.10, I think I need to make a road trop over there next time I am in Oregon.....

Just buy it, wherever you can get it. Whatever shipping is, it's still going to cost a lot less than some other whiskeys you don't like as much.:yum:

If you don't like it, I'll buy it from ya.:grin:

yup, had my first pour tonight. I'm going to have to order some more.

Just buy it, wherever you can get it. Whatever shipping is, it's still going to cost a lot less than some other whiskeys you don't like as much.:yum:

If you don't like it, I'll buy it from ya.:grin:

any idea as to how long the Rittenhouse Rye is aged? Thanks Greg.

The 80 proof is 4 years old and the 100 proof is 6 years old.

Bettye Jo

In honour of this most deserving award, I drank nothing but 80 proof last night.....

A fabulous Rye at a bargain price!!!

(it's just the $400 3 hour flight to New Zealand that blows the price out a little)

Ever since first tasting this last year, I've always said that this is the Rye that should enter the Australian market to lay down a challenge to the only available Rye in out market - Yellow Label Jim Beam Rye.

Indeed, Rittenhouse BIB is an "always have on hand" whiskey, as far as I'm concerned. Having it available at such a reasonable price is a major bonus - I just hope it stays reasonable!

Funny thing is, every different rye I've tried has been highly enjoyable, even though no two are alike. Rittenhouse BIB emphasizes the sweet side, WT Rye is the most aggressively spicy, Saz Jr. is right in the middle, Saz 18 and VWFRR seem to change from pour to pour, and even from sip to sip.

All of them work well in a Sazerac cocktail as well - but even when mixed, their different characters still show through.

• 3 weeks later...
you can order it online from Binnys for about $11 plus shipping, but there is no CA sales tax so it's a decent deal.

Binny's $11.99. Shipping $13.74? Seems a little steep.

The more you order the less per bottle shipping. Just ordered a case earlier this week. $136 per case/$25 shipping.

you can also order a few of a mixed variety and have the same result.

Mark/Nebraska

Yeah, and if one were to order a case of PVW 20 y/o, the shipping cost would be almost negligible.:grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Yeah, and if one were to order a case of PVW 20 y/o, the shipping cost would be almost negligible.:grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

i bet if you ordered a case of PVW 20 you might be able to talk them into free shipping, or maybe a free bottle of georgia moon.

i bet if you ordered a case of PVW 20 you might be able to talk them into free shipping, or maybe a free bottle of georgia moon.

That would be a free JAR of Georgia Moon. :falling:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.