06 Kbf

Whiskey River
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Dale,

Since it seems like I have to make up my mind at once I think I pass ( all row very interested) and stick to the sb.com activities in first hand. One to me important thing puzzles me though. It is the cloth requirements. The only thing that is said in the brochure is black tie and that is the thing you have around your neck I suppose. However I have seen pictures from the gala and must people wear tux as it seem. Therefore I ask you if it is ok to come with black tie, shirt and short trousers to this event? Visiting Atlanta in 1996 I got the impression that these clothes were accepted at all places including such were its not in Sweden.

Leif

"Black Tie" in this context refers to a tux. Although I have seen some show up in a regular suit and black tie, it seemed to be frowned upon.

Attached is photo of me (Scottish Black Tie attire) and Jimmy Russell.

post-413-14489812466531_thumb.jpg

"Black Tie" in this context refers to a tux. Although I have seen some show up in a regular suit and black tie, it seemed to be frowned upon.

Attached is photo of me (Scottish Black Tie attire) and Jimmy Russell.

[ATTACH]2878[/ATTACH]

Dale,

I think I get the idea about the cloth. I have that in mind if I consider going on the gala some other year. Nice kilt by the way.

Leif

Is there by chance anyone that will go from Louisville to Bardstown late the day before the festival or some time am on September 13, that have extra room in the car for me and my big luggage? I will of cause pay my share of the travelling cost. This is a very common way to travel here in Sweden manly due to our high energy tax.

The alternative for me is to go by rent car. However I’m not sure if its possible to rent in Louisville and leave in Bardstown. I would be happy for advise in this matter. And one more thing. How big city is Bardstown? My guess is in the 60000-80000 range, but I did guess 300000 in Louisville and it turned out to be 1.4miljon.

Leif

...How big city is Bardstown? My guess is in the 60000-80000 range, but I did guess 300000 in Louisville and it turned out to be 1.4miljon.

Leif

According to the 2000 census, Bardstown's population is slightly more than 10,000 souls.

According to the 2000 census, Bardstown's population is slightly more than 10,000 souls.

Thanks Tim

I was totally wrong this time to but in the opposite direction.

Leif

You have to pay attention to Louisvilles "advertised" population. They try to claim one thing, but the Census doesn't count a lot of those that Louisville say are a part of Louisville.

Leif

Where did you get 1.4 million? That's about double what all of Jefferson County has; which Louisville resides within.

You have to pay attention to Louisvilles "advertised" population. They try to claim one thing, but the Census doesn't count a lot of those that Louisville say are a part of Louisville.

Leif

Where did you get 1.4 million? That's about double what all of Jefferson County has; which Louisville resides within.

Think I got it as an answer to an email I sent to a official address on the Louisville home page.

Leif

If you rent a car, you'll probably need to keep it for your entire visit. Dropping it off in Bardstown and then getting another one to get you back to the airport at the end of your trip, probably is not realistic. Even though you won't really need a car in Bardstown, having one will give you a little more flexibility if you want to visit the distilleries, for example.

You might be able to get a bus from Louisville to Bardstown. In Sweden, there would be a train. Even here in Chicago, most of the outlying cities are served by rail. Not so in Kentucky. But there probably is bus service.

If you have not yet priced rental cars you might be surprised by how economical they are, especially if you shop around for the best deal.

Bardstown is a small town and close enough to Louisville, for example, that people there simply go to Louisville for "big city" amenities. Elizabethtown, which is a little closer than Louisville, is not nearly Louisville's size but much larger than Bardstown and also is used by Bardstown residents for shopping, health care and other needs.

If you absolutely don't want to drive but need a ride from the Louisville airport to the General Nelson in Bardstown......consider the taxi service in Bardstown. A couple of years ago, I had the cab go pick up Val in Louisville and bring her to Bardstown for $50. But that was before gasoline prices jumped up to today's levels. Anyway, it is convenient and you won't get lost this way.

Randy

If you rent a car, you'll probably need to keep it for your entire visit. Dropping it off in Bardstown and then getting another one to get you back to the airport at the end of your trip, probably is not realistic. Even though you won't really need a car in Bardstown, having one will give you a little more flexibility if you want to visit the distilleries, for example.

Chuck,

After lots of investigations I got the answer from enterprise that (to my knowledge the only car rental firm in Bardstown) I can rent in Louisville and leave in Bardstown and the opposite way to with no extra charge. This is probably how I will arrange it.

If you have not yet priced rental cars you might be surprised by how economical they are, especially if you shop around for the best deal.

Cheapest price I found for 30 days are 538 USD. Relatively low and a good value if you drive a lot but in my case it seem like a big expense comparing how little I am planning to drive. Next time I visit Kentucky I hope to be a small group and if so it will be perfect to rent a car/bus and drive one day each.

Leif

Leif,

I don't want to discourage your plans, but I believe you will be suprised at the amount of driving you will be required to do in Kentucky just to get around. You can really only walk to Barton easily from the GN. You can catch the trolley to Heaven Hill, but Maker's Mark is about 20 miles away. Not to mention Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve in Frankfort and Wild Turkey and Four Roses in Lawrenceburg, about an hour from Bardstown. I wish it were different, but our public transportation is severely lacking outside of the major cities. And, assuming you can find a bus service to take you somewhere, it is surely to be an inconvenience and will consume a good bit of your time.

Leif,

I don't want to discourage your plans, but I believe you will be suprised at the amount of driving you will be required to do in Kentucky just to get around. You can really only walk to Barton easily from the GN. You can catch the trolley to Heaven Hill, but Maker's Mark is about 20 miles away. Not to mention Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve in Frankfort and Wild Turkey and Four Roses in Lawrenceburg, about an hour from Bardstown. I wish it were different, but our public transportation is severely lacking outside of the major cities. And, assuming you can find a bus service to take you somewhere, it is surely to be an inconvenience and will consume a good bit of your time.

Jeff,

I appreciate your concern and you are perfectly right that I have to go by rent car to the distilleries I want to visit outside Louisville and Bardstown. Most of these trips will be from Louisville. However several are located in Bardstown and Louisville and by counting the rest and compare it with my available days it seem to me that I could manage with a rent car less than half the time. I will visit Bardstown for about 8-9 days and to have a rent car standing in a parking spot all this time for about 20 buck a day just for a 2*20 mile drive to MM don’t seem very attractive to me, especially when I compare it with the fact that I will get the famous lunch at miss Bobos in Lynchburg for 15 and a 5 course bourbon dinner conducted by Julian van Winkle at Bourbon bistro in Louisville for 45. And then it’s the drinking and driving problem. I will take up that in another thread later.

Leif

I always have to remember how big the U.S. is and I suppose any area of North America. On the way home from B'town by car we decided to swing through Lexington to get a good view of the place and take in (what we presumed was the compact) historical downtown.

Well, I should have asked Jeff for some tips first. :) We drove through what seemed like an endless grid, leaving the ring-like highway, only, 40 minutes later, to reach it on the other end. We saw some nice homes but nothing that looked like a city center, either there isn't one or (what is more likely) we completely missed it in our peregrination about the grid. We passed the ring highway on the other side and for some reason (travel's inexorable logic or rather illogic) kept going and ended up near a body of water and it then occurred to me we were in Lexington's catchment basin or something but missed the ol' town.

Oh well, nothing like going through a city you don't know and having tense conversations over the transmission transom or whatever it's called.

Gary

Gary

Did you drive by Rupp Arena and the tallest building (blue glass) on Vine or Main Street? If so, you drove through downtown Lexington. Downtown Lex is not a great place to see history if you drive down Main or Vine. However, to me there is no doubt its the center of the city. You likely went out of downtown via Richmond Road if you ended up out by Jacobson Park. About .5 to 1 mile from New Circle on the far side, there are some historic houses, which includes Ashland (Henry Clays house). You would have driven right past it.

Most of historic Lexington is off the main streets. I would recommend getting some tips next time you make the trip.

Thanks, I can't recall seeing any of that! We were on a very long, often tree-shaded street which went through an older part of town first. There did seem a park at the other end, maybe that was Jacobson Park. I will ask for directions next time, to be sure.

Gary

Time is running and its time for me to decide how and when I will go to Bardstown. The easy way would be to go from Louisville on September 13. However I would prefer to go directly from my WT visit on September12. The problem in this case is that on my simple map the road between Lawrenceburg and Bardstown lock so tiny that I’m not sure that I dare to take it as a novice in driving around USA. Thankful for advice.

Leif

For what it's worth, I think the two-lane roads that run throughout KY are beautiful drives, however if you use Mapquest.com it will direct you to the Bluegrass Parkway-a nice big divided highway.

Oh one thing you may not know-speed limit signs-the white ones are the speed limit, yellow ones are a suggested speed-these are there to warn you to slow down for curves in the road

Edited to provide the correct road!

The main road between Lawrenceburg and Bardstown is the Bluegrass Parkway. It's a couple miles south of Lawrenceburg. Like barturtle said, its a 4 lane divided highway that doesn't have much traffic on it(for the type of road it is). If you can't

drive on it, your in trouble when you get to Louisville.

Leif,

Are you familiar with traffic laws in Kentucky?

If not, perhaps you would benefit from reading a booklet that describes them.

To you Kentuckians looking in, is there an online source for the booklet y'all study when you take the test to get your driver's license renewed?

Oh, and Leif, in reference to a different post, the police can arrest you if they have reason to believe you have commited an infraction. Being acquitted or having the charges dropped is small consolation if one has spent the night, or longer, in jail awaiting that outcome.

As a practical matter it is good not to behave in a way that might arouse suspicion. Given most people's tendency to regard a speed limit as a minimum, not a maximum, anyone driving significantly more slowly than the speed limit is, indeed, likely to attract attention.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

For what it's worth, I think the two-lane roads that run throughout KY are beautiful drives, however if you use Mapquest.com it will direct you to the Bluegrass Parkway-a nice big divided highway.

Oh one thing you may not know-speed limit signs-the white ones are the speed limit, yellow ones are a suggested speed-these are there to warn you to slow down for curves in the road

Edited to provide the correct road!

Timothy,

I will take the Bluegrass Parkway.

Leif

• 3 weeks later...
I got this brochure from the festival and I do wonder if anyone could help me with some information about all this events’ that you have to pay for. Is it necessary to pay in advance or can I pay on site as well? Many of them seem quit expensive. Is it worth the money? As I understand there will be some strightbourbon.com group activities as well and I wouldn’t like to miss them. Is it any plans made for that yet? Are any of you other forum members going to visit any of these official payment activities?

Leif

Here's a supplement that was in this week's Kentucky Standard...(Nelson County, Newspaper :grin: )...

This magazine should be spread around Bardstown during festival week...Sure hope it is?...It tells a good tale and is very informative...all the events, times, sponsor's etc :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

~LWF0000.pdf

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.