Sampler 2006 in picutres...

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here are some more photos from the Sampler. Enjoy.

Joe :drinking: :usflag:

post-1012-14489812367989_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812368199_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812368408_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812368616_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812368826_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812369042_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812369262_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812369478_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812369683_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812369887_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812370102_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812370309_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812370536_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812370754_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812370962_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812371175_thumb.jpg

post-1012-14489812371379_thumb.jpg

Very nice pictures Joe, thank you, they really give the idea of the energy and excitement which affected all.

Some may be interested in the three types of Manhattan I made. After many ideas (as expressed here but also countless memos to self), this is what I did.

#1 This was 1.75 litres of regular Old Fitzgerald (Supreme) to which I added about 6 ounces of Lot 40 Canadian whisky (Lot 40 is essentially a straight rye whisky). You see me pouring the Lot 40 into the jug containing the Fitz. Gallo red vermouth, 1:3 vermouth to the whiskey. A dash of Pernod, a kind gift of Randy (Rancastle), was added to accord with some early 1900's recipes for the Manhattan. Then, orange bitters (Collins).

#2 1.75 litres of Old Yellowstone to which was added a pint of mixed Canadian whiskies (including Seagram 83, Lot 40, Barrel Select and 3 Grain, Centennial 10 year old and CC 20 (yes) year old). Martini red vermouth, 1:3 proportion again. An addition of anise was made here too but using Lebanese arrack. The same orange bitters added.

#3 1.75 litres of Very Old Barton 100 proof. No further whiskey addition was made, in special recognition of bourbon country and the town I was in. Gallo vermouth, 1:3 again. Same bitters but the anise was omitted.

The purpose of the Lot 40 was to add rye edge to the wheated Fitzgerald. The purpose of the blended Canadian whiskies was to "display" the vigorous flavours of the Yellowstone and knit them together as it were. Had I used, say, Buffalo Trace for #1, I may not have needed the Lot 40, or I might have added some nonetheless if I wanted a "rye" Manhattan. The point of no. 1 was to show how each component actually works.

I tasted each one neat and made small adjustments with the same ingredients (remains of what went in) until I was satisfied. Then, I poured them warm into glasses filled with ice. Some people decanted that into an "up" glass. Unfortunately I did not think to pour them unchilled into such glasses. This is a pity because many of our group (probably most) like to taste neat and unchilled to appreciate the fine points of the flavours, but I didn't think of it. Oh well, next time. Still, the drinks seemed to please since almost all the three batches were used up within the hour.

Gary

I, too want to take a minute to say what a great time I had. It was by far the best gathering of "strangers" I have ever attended. I learned so much and tasted so many fine things. I look forward to future gatherings among friends, no longer strangers.

That Lady Liberty bottle label reads:

William Fonbelle

Bourbon/Whiskey

Comes in both 100ml and 375ml. Says it's 80 proof and 3 years old distilled by United Distillers, 3860 Fitzgerald Road, Louisville and bottled by Fonbelle, C.A.T. 16100 Chateaubernard, France. Same folks that put Cognac into Eiffel Tower bottles. Think we're gonna use the 100ml as wedding favors...don't ask me for a date. Ed, you beat us to all the fanfare already. We talked about making the Sampler weekend our official proposal, but got inspired smack dab in the middle of Grand Central terminal after a few cocktails with Gary Regan (see what happens when that crazy guy comes around!)

Great to see all y'all. I've been working way too much, and although this was a tax deductible "work" trip, we sure did have some fun with all that hard work. I ain't nearly on the board as much as I'd like anymore with building a house and a business, but seeing everyone sure made me miss it.

Thanks to so many who make these events memorable...too many people to mention them all.

This is what happens when you try to enumerate people you enjoyed meeting and interacting with, you forget some and I hope they will understand it is not intentional, but I can't mention Ed, Bettye Jo, Jeff, Randy, Bobby and Tim (who are some of the first people I met in the group) without mentioning with equal affection Cliff. His friendly and witty demeanor and committment to Bourbon Country (as witness his buying a house in the area recently) endear him to all not to mention his knowledge of bourbon quality and ability to appraise and strike deals for good barrels. I lift one to Cliff and of course Koji too (now touring some of our Canadian distilleries). They are all some of the finest people I know. Sorry for those whom I left out, it is not intentional.

Gary

I was hoping to hear from Koji by now...I guess they are still touring...

During the Sampler I picked up one of the new brochures for the Kentucky Bourbon Festival...I always check out the pictures (really well) to see who's in there. I am from this area, in the industry plus kin to most all the county and it's always fun to check it out :grin:

I spied (I think ?) one of my dear friends from Japan...I think it's Yuki (Koji's wife) in the background of the barrel rolling picture :grin: :grin: :grin:

Check out our "new" Kentucky logo...Unbridled Spirit :grin: :grin: I love it...My new car liscense plate toats that now :grin: :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489812373568_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long but here are some pics of mine to fill in a few gaps or just to show some new views of Sampler happenings.

First up is a revisitation of Ed and The Patty's ceremony. Just before she found out what was going on, Tim gets prepared to spring the flowers while Ed beats a retreat towards the Gazebo. (I was really impressed with the vintage Rolls until Ed explained it was sitting there as a coincidence, being part of a vintage car show unlelated to the Sampler)

post-314-14489812400794_thumb.jpg

Hidden

The Sampler Gazebo is more than a party, it's an event. And with the event we had within the event there is no better planner than....

Lenell and Ben tasting the wares of Heaven Hill's Craig Beam....

post-314-14489812401047_thumb.jpg

Tim is so camera shy he tried to hide behind his glass.... Randy doesn't share that trait and tries to give us a somber "drink responsibly" look....

post-314-1448981240129_thumb.jpg

On the trip back to the GN on the Shuttle, everyone is all smiles (but what is a pictorial without Jeff's trademark smile?)

post-314-14489812401539_thumb.jpg

post-314-14489812401768_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Lenell and Ben tasting the wares of Heaven Hill's Craig Beam....

Just curious, but is this the same Lenell that owns a small "boutique" bourbon store in NYC?

Speaking of which, Dane, what did you do that has Ben giving you the evil eye in that picture?

Now Chuck, when did I ever have to do anything but be me to get the evil eye?????:slappin: :slappin:

Now Chuck, when did I ever have to do anything but be me to get the evil eye?????:slappin: :slappin:

No doubt that was sufficient and was, in fact, what I meant.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.