New rye whiskeys

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Accompanying the rye whiskey renaissance are a clutch of interesting whiskeys, some unaged or aged only a short time. At Tim's rye whiskey tasting during the recent Sampler, he offered Isaiha Morgan rye whiskey. I found this one of the most interesting whiskeys tasted during this trip. It had a very appetizing, "juicy" taste yet was neither sweet nor (very) aged. It is hard to describe the taste but everyone who tried it liked it. I would think it is the type of whiskey that may represent the best of the old moonshine recipes. I could see drinking this cool or cold (but not iced) before dinner. Recommended.

Another rye whiskey, soon to appear and discussed here last year, is Templeton rye. See www.templetonrye.com. This is distilled in a copper pot still and is a recreation or perhaps evocation of a Prohibition-era illicit recipe famed for its quality. So it's got some interesting historical imagery behind it. The product is still being aged and according to Internet information I found will be released this summer but apparently early samples were essayed at the San Francisco whiskey Expo last year. I know some people on the board attended that event, does anyone recall tasting this whiskey? What was it like?

Rye is coming back and of course Sazerac's 6-7 year old rye is an example.

That Fleischmann's rye Lenell brought was excellent. I felt it was better than, say, Jim Beam rye (which isn't bad, but just not as good). For some reason Fleischmann's rye is sold in Wisconsin only. One hopes stocks will be made available elsewhere.

Gary

For some reason Fleischmann's rye is sold in Wisconsin only. One hopes stocks will be made available elsewhere.

My understanding from a posting here is that it is being discontinued entirely.

I suppose I could search for that post.

I find it very similar to Beam in style but different in detail. I like it a lot.

Jeff

Once whiskey drinkers find out that ryes are often softer and sweeter than bourbon, the stuff should really take off.

In many ways, products like Old Overholt and JB Rye are the whiskeys I wish I'd known about in college. I think they're extremely accesible to non-whiskey drinkers, and I like to keep one of them around for cocktails and a change of pace.

Certainly rye is a change of pace. The Beam ryes don't really do it for me although I always have Overholt in stock and will buy Jim Beam's rye when I next see it because, i) I want to support rye sales, ii) occasionally I enjoy them, iii) I use them in cocktails and for blending where I really appreciate them. For neat sampling, on the younger side, I like Michter's Straight Rye Whiskey and WT's rye. On the older side, Michter's 10 year old rye (which in fact is much older) is very good amongst others. I did not recall that someone said Fleischmann's rye may exit the market, if so that would be a pity because it is very good, a good alternative in the younger-end rye category. It is interesting how (and I am thinking of what Roger said today in a thread on export WT) the whiskeys in the bottle seemingly can change from time to time. Tim at Gazebo had an Overholt that was from the later 90's marked Clermont as the bottles are today but the contents seemed quite different than today's Overholt, softer, richer, older, more subtle, without the "oats-like" note of current Overholt. Maybe it was the same recipe but just aged longer. So they change over time too (sometimes), and I like to try them periodically to see if this has occurred. I am convinced current WT rye for example is the best ever bottled under that name, at least in the last 20 years.

Gary

My understanding from a posting here is that it is being discontinued entirely.

I suppose I could search for that post.

I find it very similar to Beam in style but different in detail. I like it a lot.

Jeff

That would be sad. During the Barton's tour at the Sampler, Greg Davis did confirm that VOB BIB is going away, at least for the short term, due to low stocks. We gave him a hard time about the limited availability of Fleischmann's Rye. He did not mention anything about it going away.

At the Binny's pre-Whiskeyfest event I was talking to the Barton sales rep, who did say the Fleishmann's is only sold in Wisconsin but didn't say anything about it being dropped. Although, I don't know that he would have volunteered the information if he knew.

While in Iowa today, I happened to be looking along the bottom shelf, low and behold, Fleischmann's rye! I spent all of 2 seconds trying to decide whether or not to buy it after I noticed it was a WHOPPING $6.98 with TAX. Haven't popped the top yet, probably will tonight.

Mark/Nebraska

I bought a bottle of JB Rye for a friend a few years back as a joke. It was so cheap and all. Wow. I've kept a bottle on the shelf just about ever since. It was surprisingly smooth and sweet for a $10 bottle. Haven't tried the Overholt yet. Might get to that tonight.

Let us know what you think of the Old Overholt. I like it a bit more than the Beam Rye. Good cheap whiskey is a beautiful thing.

I think I'll "splurge" on the WT Rye for my next bottle, though I am more of a drinker than a collector.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a bottle of Old Overholt, and WT Rye today, Wow!! They couldn't be more different. Why so? More than just a difference in mash bills? I love the spicy peppery taste of the WT. Love the strong side of rye in bourbons also.

Picked up a bottle of Old Overholt, and WT Rye today, Wow!! They couldn't be more different. Why so? More than just a difference in mash bills? I love the spicy peppery taste of the WT. Love the strong side of rye in bourbons also.

I think a lot of that has to do with the difference in proof, 21 is a pretty large difference. Imagine diluting that WT by about 20% and I think they'd be closer, but I also think there may be an age difference - I suspect the WT is aged a bit longer. And well, quite simply WT Rye is just a very good rye hands down, that's not to say OO is bad because I like it also.

If you like those two I highly recomend Sazerac (junior), that has become one of my favorite whiskeys.

Good point on the proof difference. OO reminds me (slightly) of EWSB, and the WT is allot like WT 101 with more pepper. I enjoy both.

I've been looking, but can't seem to find Sazerac in my area. I also would like to get my hands on a bottle of VWFR 13yr.

Thanks for your recomendation and imput!

Steve

----------------------------

I've been looking, but can't seem to find Sazerac in my area. I also would like to get my hands on a bottle of VWFR 13yr.

Where is your area? You should update your profile so it shows there your location...

• 2 months later...

Has anyone here tried the new Hirsch 21?? Opinions??

Ken (who thinks WT Rye is the BEST rye (Sorry Ken W))

I haven't visited it in a while, not because I don't like it. It's pretty pricey. I don't regret buying it and have contemplated a second bottle. Bottom line is though, Sazerac at $50 has more character and zing than $110 Hirsch.

I'm probably going to try the Rittenhouse 21, the HH and the Thomas Handy when available. It irks me to spend that kind of money, but I do like my Rye whiskey.

It irks me to spend that kind of money, but I do like my Rye whiskey.

Me too. And I agree totally. None of the "high end" Ryes I've tried measure up to WT which is quite reasonably priced.

Ken

I'm going to lend a big approval rating to the WT rye.:toast:

Great price (less than $20 here) and a Very good pour for the price point! That and Rittenhouse BIB you can't beat for bang for buck.

• 5 months later...

Yesterday I spied several bottles of Templeton Rye on the shelf of a

Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits in Davenport IA. $32 and some change for an 80 proofer:smiley_acbt: I might have bought a fifth if It was a few bucks cheaper and bottled at 90 or above. Dang, why are so many whiskeys watered all the way down to the legal minimum?

I would be interested in reading anyones opinion of this whiskey before I plunk down 30 plus dollars for a bottle.

Good catch! That is one of the very few new rye whiskeys in America since the 1930's, i.e., made by a new distillery.

See www.templetonrye.com. The whiskey is a single barrel and has a lovely color. I suspect it is aged a couple of years or so. The still pictured seems to be a combination pot and column still.

There was a young rye whiskey put out in West Virginia some years ago by a gentleman who has since passed away (Rodney Facemire); to my knowledge the Tempelton rye is only the second new release of a rye whiskey since the 1930's, again in the sense of being made by a new distillery.

Who will be the first to review it?

Gary

Together with the aforementioned rye whiskey from West Virginia and the forthcoming (very soon) Hudson Baby Bourbon of New York State, this new Tempelton rye inaugurates the era of micro-distilled bourbon and rye whiskey.

I am excited!

Gary

Pretty cool and a pretty nice website as well. Although I couldn't actually find the name of the company making Templeton, did you happen to see it Gary?

Only sold in Iowa right now... Well hopefully a bottle of it will make it's way to the Gazebo for the sampler this year.

I did not see it Christian but because of the still shown, I have to assume (absent evidence to the contrary) Templeton rye is purpose-made, indeed craft made, and not sourced from an existing large distillery.

In the press section of the web site, the owner is identified as Scott Bush, 31 years old. The whiskey is in fact 4 years old. The report states the whiskey will be sold for now in Iowa and rolled out nationally later.

In effect (I am not sure if the label states this) this is a straight rye whiskey!

Gary

Also, I can't recall the exact meaning of the term "single malt" does that mean that this is 100% rye? Or that there is only one type of malted grain? Yeah I know I should know these things off the top of my head but I need to read up more and refresh the memory...

It does say single malt in there.

Since this is a rye whiskey aged at least 4 years, it must be a straight rye, however.

Single malt probably means it is made from all-malted rye (or raw rye and malted rye, like Lot 40, however the designation "rye whiskey" ensures it is low-proof spirit, which Lot 40 may be too, but I don't know).

Gary

to my knowledge the Tempelton rye is only the second new release of a rye whiskey since the 1930's, again in the sense of being made by a new distillery.

How about Old Potrero, Gary? It's pretty much a Rye (though very different)...

AND Happy New Year, y'all!

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.