BBQ and Bourbon

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now I'm not usually one for whisky food combinations in the strict sense, as I most often am more like to pair food with wine or beer. But BBQ is my main exception to the rule. I make my own sauce from scratch and put in some bourbon while I'm sauteing the onions, garlic and jalapenos.

While I'm earting I most often will pour a glass of good quality bourbon (on the rocks if I'm eating outside) and also have a glass of beer with my food. It's a great combination and if you've never tried it I highly reccommend it.

I am a BBQ nut...actually have the three day weekend off for the first time in I don't know how long. Time to catch up on some BBQ'ing, eating, and drinking!

I enjoy a good beer with my BBQ, but while it is smoking away, I enjoy a nice pour of Bourbon. I was cooking a couple Butts a few weeks ago and I started them at about 4:30 AM. I had a neighbor who was heading out on a short vacation and he wanted to get a bottle of Bourbon as a gift for his uncle. Well it was only about 9:30 AM but heck I had been up for quite a while...and Bourbon goes so well with the nice Alder smoke...so we sampled a few bottles for breakfast. He settled on the Bookers...

:icon_pidu:

• 1 month later...
Now I'm not usually one for whisky food combinations in the strict sense, as I most often am more like to pair food with wine or beer. But BBQ is my main exception to the rule. I make my own sauce from scratch and put in some bourbon while I'm sauteing the onions, garlic and jalapenos.

While I'm earting I most often will pour a glass of good quality bourbon (on the rocks if I'm eating outside) and also have a glass of beer with my food. It's a great combination and if you've never tried it I highly reccommend it.

This sounds like a great combination for later today!

Happy & Safe 4th of July to All!!!!!!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

I decided to bring out my smoker this weekend and smoke up some babyback ribs. I marinaded them overnight in a mixture of water, salt, brown sugar, cayenne, chili powder, coriander, cumin, oregano, thyme, molasses, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, grey poupon, and a healthy dose of bourbon. The ribs came out great. The boubon was a great additive to the marinade. I'm going to try the same thing with some brisket soon.

• 3 months later...

bbq and bourbon are siblings, and my favorite homemade bbq sauces

are made with bourbon. I`ve tried many different bourbons in sauces.

best stuff there is on pork butt:bowdown:

I am also a major barbecue fanatic, but I enjoy my bourbon while I am cooking it or an hour or more after the meal. I have never enjoyed spirits with a meal. Beer, wine, iced tea, or soft drinks, but never liquor.

If I am having a drink in a restaurant and they bring out food before I have finished it, I will not touch the food until the drink is done.

That's just me. :cool:

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

What I really like with BBQ is either a brown zinfandel or a kentucky iced tea. And thanks to Tim for bringing both of these drinks to my attention.

I am also a major barbecue fanatic, but I enjoy my bourbon while I am cooking it or an hour or more after the meal. I have never enjoyed spirits with a meal. Beer, wine, iced tea, or soft drinks, but never liquor

I find this pretty much true for myself as well. I do enjoy a nice Bourbon while the cook is going on...just goes perfect with the smoke coming off the cooker. I can understand the cigar connection for some people, but BBQ smoke is as close as I think I will come to that. Maybe I can find a Cuban wood to use!

I do enjoy a nice cool beer while eating, or a tall ice water.

What kind of cookers do you guys use? I have a Large BGE w/guru and a WSM.

I know I covet at times...but for me I think I am at my most relaxed content place when I have the family hanging out playing croquet, and I am sitting back on the deck downwind from the BBQ with a nice pour of Bourbon in my hand...makes me realize how really blessed I have been.

Here's one. I watched Fred Noe pour a whole bottle of Bookers over a grill full of thick pork chops, and then...light it on fire. It was deeelicious.

I am also a major barbecue fanatic,

Tim

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hey Tim,

You ever eat at Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q in Gardendale?

We were there in '04 and the ribs were awesome, they had Heineken on draft, I was in heaven.

My brother in-law is alergic to fowl so for Thanksgiving dinner along side the Turkey that I smoked on the grill I also cooked a rabbit that I had marinaded over night in a variety of spices, oils, salts, onions and the remainder of my decanter of JD. While not a bourbon, I could not part with even an once of the Blanton's that I was drinking at the time, I tossed my bunny on the grill an hour before the turkey was ready and smoked it heavy with crab-apple wood. After an hour I pulled off Bugs, stripped off the meat (it wasn't that presentable with the little legs sticking up) and pan fried the meat in olive oil, the remainder of the onions and the last few drops of JD and served it searing in the iron pan. Everyone who sampled it found it wonderful. Had I known that it was going to be a hit I would have grabbed that beaver that I saw rundover in road the day befoe. There's aways next year.

My brother in-law is alergic to fowl so for Thanksgiving dinner along side the Turkey that I smoked on the grill I also cooked a rabbit that I had marinaded over night in a variety of spices, oils, salts, onions and the remainder of my decanter of JD. While not a bourbon, I could not part with even an once of the Blanton's that I was drinking at the time, I tossed my bunny on the grill an hour before the turkey was ready and smoked it heavy with crab-apple wood. After an hour I pulled off Bugs, stripped off the meat (it wasn't that presentable with the little legs sticking up) and pan fried the meat in olive oil, the remainder of the onions and the last few drops of JD and served it searing in the iron pan. Everyone who sampled it found it wonderful. Had I known that it was going to be a hit I would have grabbed that beaver that I saw rundover in road the day befoe. There's aways next year.

I think it's time to oil up the 'ole .410.

The Talbot Tavern in Bardstown used to have rabbit on the menu. My only experience with the critter, but I thought it was pretty good.

An ex-girlfriend of mine, a Kentucky girl through and through, told me that her first husband used to go out in the morning and shoot a couple of squirrels, which she would fry up for breakfast.

I can hear it now: Squirrel, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Ah, rabbits, squirrels -- shot 'em, cleaned 'em, cooked 'em, ate 'em. Life just ain't like it used to be.

By the way, I'd think a rye-y bourbon, say, Wild Turkey 101 or Kentucky Spirit, would be a fine pairing with small game.

At the time, I only drank beer, but I once went to a wild game feast at a bar in Allegan, Michigan when my sister lived there. They had venison, elk, antelope, and rabbit at the very least, and there was more as well that I didn't get a chance to try because I was already full.

All of it was delicious! It went well with the beer, and I'm sure it would have gone well with bourbon as well.

I've caught and cleaned plenty of fish over the years, but I've never gone hunting - not out of any objection, but out of lack of skills and opportunities...

At the time, I only drank beer, but I once went to a wild game feast at a bar in Allegan, Michigan when my sister lived there. They had venison, elk, antelope, and rabbit at the very least, and there was more as well that I didn't get a chance to try because I was already full.

All of it was delicious! It went well with the beer, and I'm sure it would have gone well with bourbon as well.

I've caught and cleaned plenty of fish over the years, but I've never gone hunting - not out of any objection, but out of lack of skills and opportunities...

When I get back round Indiana way, I got a shotguun with your name on it and my parents got a field full of pheasent.

...I once went to a wild game feast at a bar in Allegan, Michigan when my sister lived there. They had venison, elk, antelope, and rabbit at the very least...

:bigeyes: Small world time -- I grew up in rural Allegan; graduated from Allegan High School (Class of 1975).

We rural folk hunted pretty much September-March for various small/large game -- at least, until the freezer was full. I suspect the elk and antelope came from elsewhere, though...:skep:

All this talk of game meats reminds me of the first time I saw on old neighbor lady cooking coons. She pulled 'em out of the oven and I swear to God they resembled human babes (at least to my 7 yr old eyes)

Barbecued coon is quite good if a bit greasy.

When I get back round Indiana way, I got a shotguun with your name on it and my parents got a field full of pheasent.

Hmmmm... sounds like a nice day in the country - though it might be better for me to start out with clay pigeons first to get the hang of a shotgun. I'm a decent shot with a Sheridan air rifle at least... but here in the People's Republic of Illinois you have to get an FOI card to own an actual firearm. :hot: Just ask Bears defensive end Tank Johnson.

:bigeyes: Small world time -- I grew up in rural Allegan; graduated from Allegan High School (Class of 1975).

Small world indeed! My sister lived there from about 1989?-1993 or so, then lived near Reed City, then Evart, now Midland.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the time BBQ and bourbon go together fine, but I also like to grill hot dogs. What bourbon goes with hot dogs?

Most of the time BBQ and bourbon go together fine, but I also like to grill hot dogs. What bourbon goes with hot dogs?

That depends on how you eat you dawgs:

Chili dog..something full and smoky...Stagg, maybe

Ketchup only...sweeter, maybe VSOF

Mustard...spicy...WT101

Relish...tangy...EW 1789

Plain dog, no bun...Bernhiem Wheat

Any more questions?:lol:

I think Bourbon and BBQ goes well together...slow smoking and slow drinking. Grilling on the other hand...thats high heat flash cooking! For me thats more Beer cooking. Maybe once I am done grilling and eating and I can sit down and relax, then it's time to break out the Bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.