BBQ and Bourbon

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey Dudes and Dudettes, try this glaze:

Maple-Bourbon Glaze

Makes 1 cup

Timetable: Shrimp, chicken wings, pork chops or cutlets, baby back ribs, or spareribs: baste during the last 5 minutes of cooking

The sweet flavors of maple syrup and bourbon are gently tempered by orange so that the glaze doesn’t taste overly sweet, but instead deep and savory.

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup bourbon or sour mash whiskey

1/2 cup cider vinegar

Grated zest and juice of 2 juice oranges (about 1/2 cup)

1 tablespoon dark brown sugar

1/4 cup brown or full-flavored yellow mustard

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1/4 cup soy or tamari sauce

In a heavy nonreactive saucepan, add the maple syrup, bourbon, vinegar, orange zest and juice, brown sugar, mustard, cayenne, and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer and simmer for about 30 minutes, until reduced to 1 cup. Cool the glaze, store in a clean, airtight container, and refrigerate until ready to use. The glaze can be made ahead and will keep in the refrigerator for 3 weeks. To use the glaze after refrigerating, warm it over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Pub. 2006 Ten Speed Press, Berkeley CA,

I was at Old Glory in Georgetown (Washington, D.C.). I ordered a combination of lamb BBQ and Jalapeno Sausage. On a whim I ordered PVWFR Rye. Oh my, that went well with the lamb. Absolutely amazing. I am now a convert to Rye and BBQ, especially a smoky style.

On the other hand, the spicy sausage and Rye was a not-so-successful experiment.

This summer I went to a local cooperage (how cool is it to be able to say that?) and picked up some used bourbon barrel staves. I cut those into chunks and used them for smoking some pork shoulders.

I ended up cutting them with some hickory chunks and some apple for subsequent attempts. I need to try some beef over the bourbon barrels (just don't tell my family, since I'm from Georgia, and barbecuing beef is, I believe, a criminal offense down there.)

Just to round out the barbecue scene, you might do a search on either ' "santa maria" style' or ' "lompoc style" barbecue ' -- without the single quotes.

Having grown up in the midwest I thought all barbecue was hickory smoked and served with a tangy, slightly thick, red sauce. I learned different when I happened to order barbecue at a roadside joint in San Luis Obispo shortly after moving to CA in the 70s.

The barbecue in that region is rubbed with spices and smoked over red oak. I found it to be an acquired taste, in a sense. By the third bite I was hooked.

Even so, I still don't think of it as "real" barbecue.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 1 month later...

BBQ and bourbon definitely go together. As many here know (some have attended), Jeff, Perry, myself and a few other friends throw a Carnivore Carnival every six months or so....kind of a spring and fall thing. The menu has stayed fairly static the last few years.

Two 40lb pigs

256 home made enchilladas (green sauce, red sauce and mole)

Smoked Pork Loin

Smoked Rib Eye Roasts, bone in

Chicken

Sausage

Leg of Lamb

Pasta Salad

Green Salad

We always make several BBQ sauces because of the variety of meats cooked. One is always a mustard/vinegar Carolina style sauce and my favortie is a bourbon sauce. Mike (the guy that owns the Southern Pride pit) and I usually go into the kitchen while the pigs are smoking and put a bourbon based sauce together. Ketchup, onions, jalepenos, chipotle peppers, mustard, garlic, brown sugar, and bourbon always make it into the mix. We add other spices and ingredients to our taste.

For drinks, we go with fall seasonal beers, red wine and bourbon. This year we served the ETL SB's (purchased last September by KBS members) and it went great with all of the BBQ. The sweetness of ETL went great with the smokiness of the meats and the heat from the BBQ sauces. Beer was best for washing down the enchilladas.

The pics are the pigs, the pit and one of the reasons we do these things.

Randy

post-379-14489813445049_thumb.jpg

post-379-14489813445269_thumb.jpg

post-379-14489813445477_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Eastern North Carolina bbq and bourbon go well together. For me, it doesn't get better than a pound of Q from Allen and Sons in Chapel Hill, and a big ol Basin Street made with Elmer T. Lee.

I'm a big fan of bourbon in the BBQ -- marinade, glaze, etc. -- but not so much with the BBQ. I usually need something colder and liquider(?) to wash it down.

(Truth be told, I'm usually happiest with homemade lemonade unless there's a keg on hand!)

On the other hand, the idea of the "Kentucky iced tea" might be a refreshing alternative -- I'll give it a try.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking of this thread when I selected my libation to go along with last night's supper. We had BBQ'd pork shoulder steaks cooked on the grill and home made scalloped potatoes. Janean had a Pinot grigio and I selected to polish off an open bottle of Weller Antique.

I selected the antique for its sweetness so as to go along with the BBQ sauce we used, Cattleman's smoke house. Were it not for the fact that the bottle of Antique only had a few pours left I might have went with ORVW 107. Because of the sweet smoky 'molasses' sauce I think the ORVW would have been the better choice. But it was a good meal nonetheless.

The whiskey lasted longer than the meat, as it usually does. The rest of the evening was spent sipping and watching a few of the new fall shows/ episodes that we've recorded on the DVR.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.