Rittenhouse Rye 21-year-old

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 1 month later...
Here is an interesting article that SEEMS to be about the new Rittenhouse 21yo (but touches on a lot of other stuff):

http://www.washtimes.com/business/20060927-120612-5672r.htm

Jay

It looks like the journalist confused Parker Beam for Jim Beam. I don't think "Mr. Beam also produces Basil Hayden's," as the article states. Interesting article nonetheless.

Roger

Here is an interesting article that SEEMS to be about the new Rittenhouse 21yo (but touches on a lot of other stuff):

http://www.washtimes.com/business/20060927-120612-5672r.htm

Jay

The same article appeared in the Lexington Herald...

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/business/15609281.htm

That is what's posted on the web but in the "actual" newspaper there's a huge picture, with caption identifying Parker Beam, Master Distiller Heaven Hill, in a full warehouse holding a bottle of Rittenhouse 21. On the front page header it had a picture of the Rittenhouse too.

Bettye Jo

Ok, I'm confused, or maybe I have my numbers wrong. The first story stated they had 32 barrels. Later in the story it stated there would be 3,000 bottles. I thought (and this is where I could be wrong) that I had heard people at the festival saying barrels they had purchased (of other bourbons) had roughly around 180 bottles give or take. I realize that number has a wide variance, but that is a VERY wide variance.

Ok, I'm confused, or maybe I have my numbers wrong. The first story stated they had 32 barrels. Later in the story it stated there would be 3,000 bottles. I thought (and this is where I could be wrong) that I had heard people at the festival saying barrels they had purchased (of other bourbons) had roughly around 180 bottles give or take. I realize that number has a wide variance, but that is a VERY wide variance.

Greedy Angels!:D The evaporation on a whiskey that old is going to be fairly substantial. So they're going to get much less than that 180 bottles per. Based on those numbers, something like 90 bottles per? Looking at a Data Sheet I have for the 2005 Saz 18yr. for instance, Buffalo Trace states: "Evaporation loss: 67.73% of the original whiskey lost to evaporation" OUCH!

JOE

Greedy Angels!:D The evaporation on a whiskey that old is going to be fairly substantial. So they're going to get much less than that 180 bottles per. Based on those numbers, something like 90 bottles per? Looking at a Data Sheet I have for the 2005 Saz 18yr. for instance, Buffalo Trace states: "Evaporation loss: 67.73% of the original whiskey lost to evaporation" OUCH!

JOE

Exactly, Joe...

The folks who bought barrels, the age was 12-14 years old...or at least that was one of them. Thier barrel was bottled at 90 proof..This Rittenhouse is 21 years old and bottled at 100 proof.

You'd be suprised...some of those old barrels only produce a few gallons...Warehousemen have told me they have pulled empty one's too...Slow leak and no one spotted it...

We bottled two more barrels last night...It only gets a layer to a pallet.

Bettye Jo

I am currently headed toward my basement to construct a Rye vapor recapturing unit to send to Heaven Hill. Of course after installation, I will expect a reasonable amount to be bottled and sent to me.

I guess that makes sense that over time you'd be losing measured amounts. It still brings a tear to my eye though. :cry:

Bettye jo are they going out 3 bottles to a case?

Yes, three to a case...

I just checked to see where the first shipments went to...

Kentucky :grin: :bigeyes: :grin:

and...England...

I am told that small amounts will be delivered to every market distributor...No one will get "alot" so that it can be spread around...many folks will get a shot at it.

Sooooooooooooooo...You Kentucky Boyz :grin: :grin: :grin: start your engines :893drillsergeant-th :893drillsergeant-th :893drillsergeant-th :893drillsergeant-th

Bettye Jo

...some of those old barrels only produce a few gallons...Warehousemen have told me they have pulled empty one's too...Slow leak and no one spotted it...

:cry:

Still though, there's that nagging question in my mind: one bottle of Rittenhouse 21, or a case of Rittenhouse BIB? :eek:

The same article appeared in the Lexington Herald...

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/business/15609281.htm

That is what's posted on the web but in the "actual" newspaper there's a huge picture, with caption identifying Parker Beam, Master Distiller Heaven Hill, in a full warehouse holding a bottle of Rittenhouse 21. On the front page header it had a picture of the Rittenhouse too.

Bettye Jo

Here's a scan of the article as it appeared in the Lexington Herald...

post-20-14489812606068_thumb.jpg

post-20-14489812606232_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

On a Delta flight to Dallas this week, I was reading their "Sky" magazine where I came across the section where Paul Pacult reviews various wines, spirtits etc. The October issue has his review of the 21 yr Rittenhouse. He says: "If you buy just one American whiskey this fall (heavens to Betsy, I hope that's the least you do), consider this classic, lip-smacking straight rye whiskey. Even though it's 100 proof, the aromas and flavors are so harmoniously melded that all you savor is its cocoa and honeylike virtures. The best straight rye I've sampled in 25 years. 5 Stars (out of a possible five)"

Well, :toast: to that!

JOE

Because he received his shipment of Dougdog's near perfect Willett 22yo, 136.7 proof Kentucky straight rye whiskey. Thats why.

Looks like this is going to be a great weekend.

Looks like it is time for 20+yr rye shoot out.

Howie

post-535-14489812654306_thumb.jpg

The chat last night, yielded questions about the Rittenhouse 21.

I tried to find this note during the chat but decided to post it instead. Seems that folks are saying that most all of it is going to New York. I specifically asked him that question.

Here's "part<---of a private message" sent to me from Larry.

> Date: 2006/10/03 Tue AM 10:12:10 EDT

> To: <bjboone@bellsouth.net>

> Subject: RE: distribution

>

> Bettye Jo--

>

>

>

> The same amount has been

> allocated for NY as for CA and IL/IN. And nearly as much has been allocated

> for TX and FL. And you are correct, these are still very small case amounts.

> I'm not sure anyone is selling this like crazy because a) there isn't very

> much to begin with and B) its very expensive.

>

>

>

> Hope that helps...

>

>

>

> Larry Kass

>

> Director of Corporate Communications

>

> Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc.

>

> lkass@heaven-hill.com

Larry is the person who told me most of it is going to New York, but since he put the above in writing, let's consider that operative.

Where will it be available in Kentucky?

Gary

Ya know...I've been on top of this thing. Right after the first bottling I posted where the first shipment went. I looked for myself.

After last night, seems that folks are just a tad bit aggravated for not seeing this on their shelf. I have no control over such things and I do my best to find out all the information that's there.

Not long ago, a member (maybe he will post his experience) of this forum sent me a pm asking to help him find a bottle. His state was not listed as on of the distribution points. I gave him the number to call and told him a contact.

He was successful :grin: He's been "promised" the Rittenhouse 21.

The number is 502 348-3921 ask for sales...They will connect you to Rachel or Ms. Hamilton...and direct you throughout the way...

Hope this helps with your questions... I sincerely hope that all of ya, that want one, will be successful :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

I am in NY and I have now been called by three different stores that I frequent. All of them letting me know it's in. If you want me to pick one up for you,send me a PM. They are going for $140 at every store I can get it AND they are going fast.

Hidden
I am in NY and I have now been called by three different stores that I frequent. All of them letting me know it's in. If you need help getting some, PM me.... I dont know how long it will last, but first come first helped.

Well...Hell...

They have sold out at Toddy's (in Bardstown Ky...completely!)

After, I called and bought the last two (Guthrie is saving them for me :grin: ) ...anyone that needs one pm me and I will save it for you :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.