Bourbon and Glassware Pairings

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally, I think tasting whisk(e)y is done mostly with the nose in play, after all, we are supposedly limited to only sweet, sour, salt, bitter on the tongue and all the rest of that good smell is detected in the nose.

Lets not forget umami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Known for some time, now scientifically proven.

-Mike

Man the high-rollers out bragging about their fancy schmancy glassware.:lol:

I use IKEA glasses, $1.99 a six pack.:slappin:

Or occasionally Wild Turkey snifters: free with admission to the KBF Gala:bigeyes:

i love IKEA so i'll have to see if i can find those. great quality and great value!

ok, i to really get a feel for anything first time (and most of the time, anyways), i've been using some of those new STEMLESS 'red wine' glasses, very brandy snifteresque....deep bowl allows a nice view of swirled spider leg effects

i just got some nice looking glasses from a 400th year OBushmills gift pack. not sure if i will use them beyond across-the-pond whiskEys!

but i admit, i don't always care to stare at the amber rainbow hues...and i have a nice squatty ceramic 'tumbler' that's nice and glazed and has and orgainic, earthy look to it and gives me a sense of drinking whiskey in colonial america. seems to really glow when Michter's is in it...:grin:

The IKEA glasses I refer to are called REKO. They are about the same size and volume as Riedel Vinum Single Malt glasses, but without the fragile feel. Plus they stack and are cheap enough to buy in bulk for tastings...I intend to get about a dozen sets for that purpose.

Lets not forget umami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Known for some time, now scientifically proven.

-Mike

Aha! For years my wife has been saying "Umami" when she served me the Udong noodles with smoked ham. I thought she was trying to say she followed my mother's recipe. I didn't know about this but now subscribe to the theory as fact. OBTW..remind me not to post anymore after sampling my whiskey from a mason jar. Apparently, I was incoherent and didn't know it on my previous post.

Tonight I'm experimenting with 4 Roses single barrel from a Schott-Zwiesel Tritan sherry glass. It looks like a port copita but only holds 3.5 ounces. I must admit that the 4 Roses single barrel does in fact outperform sherry.

Cheers!

I almost always drink my bourbon out of a snifter. I like the way the glass looks, feels in my hand, and the way that the bourbon gets slightly warmed since the bottom of the glass is in the palm of my hand. I’m also told that the bulb shape of the glass allows you to nose a little better compared to the average straight sided glass, I doubt it makes that much of a difference though. I looked into the Riedel glasses that most people on this board seem to prefer but I don’t really like them. Some day I will probably buy one to see for sure but they don’t appeal like the snifter does.

Today, largely due to my love of wasting money, I picked up a new, lead crystal snifter from Mikasa. It’s the one on the left in the horrible picture below. As much as I like the one on the right (courtesy of a hotel I stayed at :) ) I’d been wanting a nice one for a long time. Can’t wait to have a pour in my fancy new glass. :)

glasses5ck.jpg

I couldn't agree more. I particularly like the snifter pictured on the right (also happens to be the one I use - not only is it a mere $4 at a local store, but it does everything I need it do, which is to concentrate the aromas and perfectly distribute the liquid over my tongue).

• 4 weeks later...

When tasting I use a standard wine glass. Get them by the case from the local restaurant supply store. For drinking or serving to guests standard Old Fashion glasses from the same source.

Squire

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.