Bourbon and Glassware Pairings

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone else pair a bourbon or other whisky with a specific type of glass?

My primary glasses are a Riedel Cognac Hennessy glass and a Riedel Single Malt glass, the former I use for bourbon and later for Scotch.

But I am a big fan of Black Maple Hill and to me it tastes so much better out of a low ball whisky glass. I don't drink any of my other whiskies from this glass but both my BMH 11 and 16 are vastly improved. Does anyone else notice this phenomenon with any of their whiskies?

Cheers

I generally use the Reidel Bourbon glass but at times I enjoy a large pour in a big fat tumbler.

I really do think there is a slight change in the whiskey and I reakon Maker's for example is much better out of the tumbler than in the Reidel glass...it may just be a mood thing who knows?

My favorite used to be the Riedel bourbon glass, until I got a set of the Riedel O series spirit glasses (#414/60). I like them even better!

I've been a big fan of the Glencairn single malt glass ever since I first happened upon them at the downtown Chicago Binny's. Whether I'm drinking bourbon or Scotch, I find it more enjoyable in the Glencairn - it gives me enough "nose" without being overpowering. Not only that, but it's pretty durable as well.

Having tried both the Riedel Bourbon glass and Riedel O series 414/60 (spirits) glass, I like the Bourbon glass better. I find this particular O series a bit too short for its diameter.

Kevin

I tried doing a search for a specific thread/picture. A while back, I thought maybe it was Tim, had a photo of part of his stash and in front of each bottle there was a different tasting glass. It was a really cool photo, but I can't seem to locate it.

Here's the glass that I've been using for the last few months and have fallen in love with. I like the hefty size and the fact that they work equally well for straight bourbon, on the rocks, or for a manhattan.

I bought them from Gumps.com. Search for whisky glasses.

post-812-14489812416435_thumb.jpg

I almost always drink my bourbon out of a snifter. I like the way the glass looks, feels in my hand, and the way that the bourbon gets slightly warmed since the bottom of the glass is in the palm of my hand. I’m also told that the bulb shape of the glass allows you to nose a little better compared to the average straight sided glass, I doubt it makes that much of a difference though. I looked into the Riedel glasses that most people on this board seem to prefer but I don’t really like them. Some day I will probably buy one to see for sure but they don’t appeal like the snifter does.

Today, largely due to my love of wasting money, I picked up a new, lead crystal snifter from Mikasa. It’s the one on the left in the horrible picture below. As much as I like the one on the right (courtesy of a hotel I stayed at :) ) I’d been wanting a nice one for a long time. Can’t wait to have a pour in my fancy new glass. :)

glasses5ck.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a set of the Reidel bourbon glasses and am looking forward to trying them out. Unfortunately, bar studies are not very conducive to bourbon tasting...

I just got a set of the Reidel bourbon glasses and am looking forward to trying them out. Unfortunately, bar studies are not very conducive to bourbon tasting...

Are you kidding, a bar is a perfect place to...oh, nevermind:slappin:

• 2 months later...

I find when I am tasting a new bourbon, or really tasting for any reason, that I use a brandy snifter. However, when I am simply enjoying a bourbon (backyard, dog at feet, bluegrass playing, after dinner) I tend to use these glasses that I picked up from Wal-Mart. They were like eight bucks for a four-pack, have an inch thick glass bottom, and are a standard highball style other than that. I love these glasses because of the thick bases on them. Ninety percent of the time, I prefer my bourbon at room temperature, but I find that in most of my glasses my hand ever-so-slightly elevates the temperature of my drink. I find that the thick base of these glasses prevents that. Anybosy else have something like that?

I tend to use these glasses that I picked up from Wal-Mart. They were like eight bucks for a four-pack, have an inch thick glass bottom, and are a standard highball style other than that.

Man the high-rollers out bragging about their fancy schmancy glassware.:lol:

I use IKEA glasses, $1.99 a six pack.:slappin:

Or occasionally Wild Turkey snifters: free with admission to the KBF Gala:bigeyes:

Just depends on what I'm drinking. I have a couple of thicker low ball glasses I bought at Ross on the cheap and I use them for bourbons I enjoy on the rocks. I also have a couple of stemless wine glasses I picked up at a Cost Plus World Market and I use them for bourbons I prefer neat.

I have my share of glassware aquired in gift packs but never seem to use them much.

I looked into some Riedel but would rather spend my money on bourbon.

As an enthusiast rather than a connoiseur, I like it best from the bottle or a flask. Failing that it's whatever cup is handy.

Welcome to the board both of you. Add a little info to your profile if you want and share at least your first names and where you hail from. It helps folks to get to know you.

I bought a pair of fancy-smancy glasses Timothy and brought one to KBF. I managed to hold on to it all the way through, but think when I was packing I may have left it in the room somehow!:smiley_acbt: :lol:

Fortunately it was a two pack so the other one was at home. My old reliable $1.99 version is there too. Although I'm favoring the new one already. I won't be favoring them if I keep losing them though!

I got a set of Riedel's bourbon glasses, and am enjoying them. The set of four cost me $29 from Amazon.com with free shipping.

For smaller pours, check out these thermal double-walled espresso/shot-glasses from Bodum. They hold 2 oz and retail for $12/pair.

B000A5CLG6.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I got a set of Riedel's bourbon glasses, and am enjoying them. The set of four cost me $29 from Amazon.com with free shipping.

For smaller pours, check out these thermal double-walled espresso/shot-glasses from Bodum. They hold 2 oz and retail for $12/pair.

B000A5CLG6.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I've had real problems with the Bodum double-walled glasses breaking, including several times while I was drinking from them. These were instances with iced beverages but scary enough that I have stopped using them.

for social drinking i like a low ball glass, the heftier the better, but i am not too picky. for tasting, i have some cheap wine glasses that came with a picnic set my wife and i got for our wedding years ago (8 yrs to be precise, in case she reads this). they are small and allow me to nose the pour pretty well.

• 2 months later...
Here's the glass that I've been using for the last few months and have fallen in love with. I like the hefty size and the fact that they work equally well for straight bourbon, on the rocks, or for a manhattan.

I bought them from Gumps.com. Search for whisky glasses.

Is that ice in those glasses?

*shudders*

• 3 months later...
for social drinking i like a low ball glass, the heftier the better, but i am not too picky. for tasting, i have some cheap wine glasses that came with a picnic set my wife and i got for our wedding years ago (8 yrs to be precise, in case she reads this). they are small and allow me to nose the pour pretty well.

By "low ball" glasses, should I assume you are referring to "old fashioned" glasses?

Anyway, I bought a 4-pack of Riedel's bourbon whiskey glasses from Amazon. So far, they seem to be doing their job. I'll concede that they don't feel as good in the hand as a brandy snifter, but it does do a better job of funneling the aromas, and it has a smoother "flow" in the sip than a snifter does. So, in those regards, I enjoy them very much.

If I need a wider glass, mainly for cask-strength whiskeys, I'll use a dof glass (like an old fashioned glass, but slightly curved and tapered).

My next glassware purchase will likely be a single malt scotch glass from Spiegelau.

By "low ball" glasses, should I assume you are referring to "old fashioned" glasses?..

Not unless I'm also mistaken. To me, a low-ball glass is short and wide, while an Old-Fashioned glass is tall and somewhat narrower.

Not unless I'm also mistaken. To me, a low-ball glass is short and wide, while an Old-Fashioned glass is tall and somewhat narrower.

It seems the definitions vary somewhat, but here is a webpage that has a little chart, though the hight proportions seem a little off. http://www.cocktailtimes.com/glassware/

My understanding is a progression of glasses with a thick bottom (occassionally stemmed, in the case of the highball) and straight sides:

- Old Fashioned-- shortest and widest, 8-10oz (12oz for a "double Old Fashioned"), leaves room to muddle the fruit at the bottom of the namesake drink.

- Highball-- taller and narrower, 10-12oz

- Collins/Zombie-- tallest and slimmest, 12-14oz

Yes, terminology varies, but to me Old Fashioned glasses are the largest of the "low" glasses, with the OTR being slightly smaller and the low ball smaller than that, sort of an extra large shot glass.

• 7 months later...
Does anyone else pair a bourbon or other whisky with a specific type of glass?

My primary glasses are a Riedel Cognac Hennessy glass and a Riedel Single Malt glass, the former I use for bourbon and later for Scotch.

But I am a big fan of Black Maple Hill and to me it tastes so much better out of a low ball whisky glass. I don't drink any of my other whiskies from this glass but both my BMH 11 and 16 are vastly improved. Does anyone else notice this phenomenon with any of their whiskies?

Cheers

I'm glad to find out that others like to specialize with their glassware. I was beginning to think I might have suffered some sort of trauma as a child that manifested itself in my desire to drink whisk(e)y from different style glasses based on the type of spirit. I like to collect whiskey and glassware so I have a lot of options.

I find the glasses with the bottom bowl and pinched top best for nosings and tastings where you want to deconstruct the smell and taste (sorry, can't explain that obsession either)

For those spirits that have less than 45% ABV that I'm just interested in drinking, I like the tulip shaped glassware. You get the benefit of concentrated nose and easy delivery to the right spot without looking at the ceiling while trying to get it down.

For spirits with more than 45% ABV, I like a more open mouth on the bottle to allow the alcohol vapors to open up a little.

Finally, I think tasting whisk(e)y is done mostly with the nose in play, after all, we are supposedly limited to only sweet, sour, salt, bitter on the tongue and all the rest of that good smell is detected in the nose. If your glassware keeps the nose in play without making it burn or twitch then you can enjoy your drink a little more.

All this doesn't prevent me from quaffing whiskey out of a jelly jar when the need arises. Any vessel will do if you enjoyed yourself when you are done.

Regards!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.