label of Old Williamsburg

lexkraai
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all

I'm looking for a picture/scan of the label of Old Williamsburg kosher bourbon. It is to accompany an article for the whisky journal "Celtic Spirit", explaining what makes whisky kosher or not. Contact me off-board (a.kraayeveld@ic.ac.uk) if you can help.

Thanks in advance!

Lex

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by lexkraai on Mon Jul 23 02:15:19 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

I wonder what does make a bourbon kosher? How the yeast were killed?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Chuck,

I'm a Catholic, and that made even me wince... Remember, yeast is a plant, so kosher butchering is probably unnecessary here. Seriously, I'd like to know myself - maybe some of our Orthodox Jewish posters (or kosher wine enthusiasts) can enlighten us. I can't conceive of the Lord not wanting bourbon to be available to good religious people - after all, don't the angels get first dibs at every barrrel we taste? As to Islamic Bourbonians - that's a whole other issue. It's be interesting to see if the restriction against alcohol applies to bourbon. Wasn't distilling first done extensively by Arabs?

Ralph Wilps

>>Remember, yeast is a plant,

Actually Ralph, those organisms classified as "yeasts" are fungi. They are similar to molds, but as they lack hyphae -- filaments which, when present in great enough numbers, form what is called a mycelium -- they cannot be classified as such. In addition, they usually reproduce by a process called "budding", wherein a child cell appears to bubble slowly out of a parent cell, rather than by production of spores.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

I recall several years ago they tried to get kosher put on the label. The Rabbi came and looked over everything.----I guess the answer was no because we don't have any labels that say kosher or have the kosher symbol on them.

boone

Hi all

Got a label in the mean time for the article; thanks Bill! The article will (hopefully) explain the ins and outs of kosher whisky and why some are and some aren't. Will leave a note here when it's published.

By the way, as to whether yeasts are plants or not, they are fungi, as was said, and recent DNA research has shown that fungi as a whole are much closer related to animals than they are to plants.

Cheers, Lex

It makes me wonder - I know from my Orthodox Jewish friends that great care is taken during Passover to get yeast away from food products, to obey the law that only unleavened bread should be eaten at that time. But wine, which is part of Passover Seders, contains yeast, albeit dead yeast. Is it just the commemoration of the need for hurry and that the bread didn't have time to rise? What abour beer, which is just watery bread? Is there a passover-kosher beer? I remember drinking some pile-driver slivovitz at a seder once...it tasted like it had about 8 minutes of barrel aging.

Ralph Wilps

Although the Arabs are credited with inventing distillation and giving us the word "alcohol," they did not distill beverages but, rather, essences for medicines and cosmetics.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck,

Look on page 180 of the Regan book, The Boook of Bourbon, and read their review of Old Williamsburg. The problem wirth getting a bourbon declared kosher has to do with the aging process since more than one Passover passes while aging bourbon.

Mike Veach

Keep in mind that there are several 'levels of kosherness'. No whisky will ever be kosher for passover, as it is made from 'leavened' grain. Whiskies can be kosher at a 'lower' level and that mostly depends on whether it has been in contact with wine.

I hope the article will make things clearer!

Lex

Not being of the Jewish faith, I look forward to your clarification since it intrigues me.

Glad I could help you with the scans. If you need anything else, just drop me a note.

Bill

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/>http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/</A>

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.