Old Potrero Single Malt Spirit

elkdoggydog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not that this will do you any good, but it's usually pretty easy to get around here but, now that I think about it, they didn't have any at Binny's just now, although I usually see it at Sam's.

• 4 weeks later...

I went through exactly one bottle of this a year or so back. Tried everything from mixing it with ginger ale to neat in a sniffer. It is quality and it is what it is and I'm glad I gave a solid college try but its not my cup of tea. I will copy their graphics though if I ever buy a barrel and have it custom labeled.

Regards,

Squire

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a chance to taste the three-year-old straight (new charred wood) version of this (distilled 1995, bottled 1999). Barrel proof (62.6%, I think). Absolutely stunning, with the vanilla, toffee from the wood combining with the fruit and spice from the malt.

I just got a chance to taste the three-year-old straight (new charred wood) version of this (distilled 1995, bottled 1999). Barrel proof (62.6%, I think). Absolutely stunning, with the vanilla, toffee from the wood combining with the fruit and spice from the malt.

Jake, this bottling showed up in the VBT thread here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6780&page=2

I agree that it's certainly enjoyable whiskey. Just wish you could count on Maytag to make the same thing more than once, and at a price I could regularly afford.

• 2 months later...

interesting that no one uses a malted corn. without proof or other than hearsay, i have heard that malting corn was considered (at one time) the 'elegant' way of making corn whiskey.

'triple distilled' was another, with a 3rd distillation being the combined 'low wines' of initial fermentation (distillation), and a re-fermenting (and secondary distillation) (of the same malted corn mash) with some sugar, the feints and slobbers (not the foreshots) of the first run.. added to the second.

for economy's sake, primarily, to extract every speck of the possible alcohol. but, consequentially, getting all the flavors of the grain as well..

now, it's been 40 years since i discussed it with knowledgeable people and i'm not attempting to prove any of it, but it's as i heard it.. i suspect the malting of various grains, most especially corn, had more to do with the pride and work ethic of the individual 'shiner, and the logistics of it, than adherence to a fixed recipe.

I'd love to see some malted corn whisky done in an alembic still and aged in Jerez sherry barrels. :) any volunteers?

I'm no expert in malting but my understanding is that corn is very difficult and time consuming to malt which would fall under your pride and work ethic heading. I accidently malted some a few years back when I allowed a plastic bin full of corn bought to feed wildlife to sprout while sitting in my garage. Apparently the condensation and hot summer was enough to sprout the corn. When I opened the lid I must say whiskey was the farthest thing from my mind.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.